• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau or not to Tonneau -- any efficiency improvements ?

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Has anyone noticed efficiency improvements with a tonneau cover? What mi/KWh are you seeing on the highway cruising at 70MPH?
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just did a 2200 mile road trip with a hard tonneau cover which was nearly all 70-75 mph interstate driving. Average efficiency was 2.0 miles/kWh. I’ve had it installed since day 1 so I can’t comment on whether it made a difference vs no cover.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
A thread like this pops up every month or so. You can use the search feature if you'd like to read more about it. Typically there are 2 sides arguing without a conclusion.

There are studies that say it does help, and there are studies that say there is no noticeable (or only a negligible) efficiency effect.

Bottom line: buy a tonneau if you want a tonneau for its use as a tonneau. Even if you get an efficiency increase, it will NEVER pay off the amount you spent on the tonneau.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just did a 2200 mile road trip with a hard tonneau cover which was nearly all 70-75 mph interstate driving. Average efficiency was 2.0 miles/kWh. I’ve had it installed since day 1 so I can’t comment on whether it made a difference vs no cover.
I just completed a 2500 mile road trip and saw the same average efficiency (2.0 mi/kWh) without one.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A thread like this pops up every month or so. You can use the search feature if you'd like to read more about it. Typically there are 2 sides arguing without a conclusion.

There are studies that say it does help, and there are studies that say there is no noticeable (or only a negligible) efficiency effect.

Bottom line: buy a tonneau if you want a tonneau for its use as a tonneau. Even if you get an efficiency increase, it will NEVER pay off the amount you spent on the tonneau.
Thanks. I had done a search and didn't find any clear answer. It does appear that it really doesn't make a difference. I understand that it can be something of a religious argument.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Has anyone noticed efficiency improvements with a tonneau cover? What mi/KWh are you seeing on the highway cruising at 70MPH?
I have the Ford branded Retrax Pro and absolutely zip. Nada. None. Noticed no difference at 50, 60, 70, or 80..

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Most truck tonneaus are soft, not hard. The negative aerodynamic effect of flapping canvas (even very slight flapping) is probably worse than no tonneau at all. Best bet for improved drag coefficient would be low-profile hard tonneau (it must be rigid).

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Curious if Camper / Topper of the same as the cab height or lower has the same conclusion of no impact?

tempted by the dual soft tonneau and topper by FasTop -https://www.fas-top.com/

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I’ve always had a cover, but it has nothing to do with efficiency.

I just prefer the privacy it gives me when I park it with stuff in the bed. An open bed full of stuff parked in New York City is an invitation for a quick grab and run.

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I think what is missed in this classic argument is that people seem to compare an empty bed with no cover to a cover. I believe there is small efficiency gains if you have a bed full of random items like suitcases or other items that make the air more turbulent at highway seeds.

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Consensus is no benefit. That makes sense, otherwise they would have included it with the truck.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
A slight twist on the topic. I was all set to get the Ford roll-up aluminum backed cover by Rev. The dealer rep I'm working with said that most people at his dealership (Red McCombs Ford) buy the folding version by Rev instead. I think he said it holds up better, and you don't have the ~unsightly bundled-up roll when wound up banging against the cab and rear window, requiring cushioning. He says with the fold-up, you have almost full access to the entire bed, and both are easy to take out because they're essentially held in place by C-clamps. He thought both were easily less than 100 lbs and that I could probably install either myself if I wanted.

I did notice in the Rev instructions that the importance of levelness of the tailgate with the bed side rails is emphasized. On one side of my truck bed, there is no noticeable height discontinuity. On the other side, just running one's hand back and forth between the tailgate and the rail, I can feel a slight difference in height. Would this be a sort of "warranty" issue that I could ask the dealer to adjust if necessary, as perhaps the tonneau cover won't be 100% weatherproof with a height difference?

Maybe it would be interesting to create a poll on "Do you have a tonneau cover?" (and why) and "If so, is it folding or rollup?" (and why).

Edit_Update: Found a good comparison of the pros and cons of rolling vs. folding tonneau covers. I like a good view out my rear window, so that may prejudice me in favor of a roll-up. The sales pitch does seem to say that tri-folds are more durable, at least compared to soft roll-ups without metal reinforcement.

Which is Better: Roll Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau Covers - PartCatalog.com

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Great video some years back showing airflow over the current truck design. There is no improvement.

Last edited:

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

Based on my experience, on prior F150s I have owned, I don't find any difference.

Tires are the place to focus if you want to increase efficiency slightly.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'd also like to point out something people miss - YOU can't test any of this. "I didn't notice" or "I did notice".

Many changes are minute. In addition, to see the change, you need to test it SCIENTIFICALLY. Same route, same speed, same temperature, same air pressure in tires, same...

People drive to work everyday, and if they tracked their efficiency accurately they'd see variation all the time. You don't get 15.4mpg every day you drive the same route.
Sponsored