• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Update - Ford Mobile Charger Water Intrusion. Scorch marks around the pins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning - XLT SR (Max Tox / Pro Power)
Hello All - I recently had many faults with my mobile charger (yellow/amber light). When I unplugged the 240v attachment, water came out of the main charger (maybe 2 teaspoons). As you can see from the picture, there is definitely some scorch marks around the pins. I believe this charger is suited for outdoor use (IP67), so I never really thought twice about leaving it out in the rain. The attachment was secured tightly into the charger, so I know that wasn't the issue. This is more of a heads up for users who rely on the mobile charger as their primary source for charging.

Ford F-150 Lightning Update - Ford Mobile Charger Water Intrusion. Scorch marks around the pins IMG20221229164542 - Copy
Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Doesn't look like scorch marks looks like grease or dirty or both. The metal contacts good pretty good no arcing. I'm glad I removed that from my order and got a better quality charge for less than $500.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doesn't look like scorch marks looks like grease or dirty or both. The metal contacts good pretty good no arcing. I'm glad I removed that from my order and got a better quality charge for less than $500.
I thought the same, but these do not wipe clean. It also wouldn't explain the faulting charger. I think it was a good decision on your part to select a different charger.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I've seen a lot of post saying that constantly faults in both cold weather and warm weather. Moisture is a new one to add to the list lol

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is the Ford Mobile Charger included in the vehicle warrantee?
It’s supposed to be. Some Mach-E owners have been successful getting them replaced, some have not. It seems to depend on the competency of the dealer.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
When you charger was out in the rain, was it mounted to a wall?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just a quick update. Ford replaced the mobile charger under warranty. Unfortunately, they did not send the dealership the attachment plugs. So the waiting will continue. The dealership has been great throughout this.

GoldBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Occupation
Broker
On the replacement charger did it have the same white handle as the factory charger? I just had mine replaced for the same issue and they gave me a charger with black generic handle, not like the white handle with a Ford logo that it is replacing. I'm not sure if it's a big deal, it just feels a bit cheap.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On the replacement charger did it have the same white handle as the factory charger? I just had mine replaced for the same issue and they gave me a charger with black generic handle, not like the white handle with a Ford logo that it is replacing. I'm not sure if it's a big deal, it just feels a bit cheap.
Same situation for me. I just picked up the attachments and double checked the handle. It is a generic one, like yours.

They (the dealership) was also replacing another charger for a Mach-e owner. So this seems to be a common issue.

GoldBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
Occupation
Broker
Same situation for me. I just picked up the attachments and double checked the handle. It is a generic one, like yours.

They (the dealership) was also replacing another charger for a Mach-e owner. So this seems to be a common issue.
Biggest issue so far is that I park in full sun. The black handle gets so much hotter to the touch than the white one did.

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So I got my 23 in February and it came with the black handle connector, so I wouldn't know any difference.
Sponsored