• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Warning against IR cameras

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
If you plan on getting a dash cam with an internal camera, do not get one that is sensitive to IR. Many internal cameras (popular with Uber/Lyft drivers) use IR to illuminate the inside of the vehicle at night. The problem is if you have Blue Cruise, its own IR cameras use a light source that blinks at a different frequency. The result is video that is filled with streaks and blinking, almost unusable. I am sure if you had the video its better than nothing, but the quality is very poor.

For example I bought the VIOFO A139 3 Channel Dash Cam but have elected to not use the internal camera at all due to this issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have a Rove 3 channel that I'm hoping to get installed this weekend, so this will be interesting. Huge thanks for the heads up.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
Most dashcams with an internal camera are going to be capable of picking up near-IR light, and might even have their own near-IR illuminating LEDs that could cause issues with BlueCruise.

I’d be tempted to see what an IR cut off filter could do in terms of reducing impact of the BlueCruise hardware. I doubt there are any specific suitable cut off filters though. Maybe some DIY customization is in order? 🤔

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning

Beaux

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited
I see a lot of posts about dash cams. I guess I've missed out on what the big deal is with them? Anybody care to illuminate my mind?? 😂

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I see a lot of posts about dash cams. I guess I've missed out on what the big deal is with them? Anybody care to illuminate my mind?? 😂
No dash cam - your word against theirs.

With dash cam - here officer / insurance company is the evidence of the person reversing into me at a traffic light to make a right turn.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
@Ford Motor Company I would pay $500-1000 if you just let us record the sensors / cameras already on the vehicle. I think Tesla lets you do that...

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
@Ford Motor Company I would pay $500-1000 if you just let us record the sensors / cameras already on the vehicle. I think Tesla lets you do that...
Tesla added the feature at no charge in a software update a few years ago. I'm guessing our truck systems don't have enough memory, storage and bandwidth to handle recording video.
Sponsored