• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
F-150 Lightning’s Endures Built Ford Tough Testing in Extreme Cold of Alaska; Electric truck is All-Season Ready

DEARBORN, Mich., Mar. 3, 2022 – This winter, Ford engineers spent two weeks in the heart of Alaska in minus 30-degree temperatures to continue fine-tuning the F-150® Lightning™ pickup’s performance on low-traction surfaces like snow and ice, and in extreme cold to give customers maximum confidence.

“Alaska provides us the extremely cold temperatures, snow and ice-covered surfaces that we need to push the F-150 Lightning in this type of testing, which is really focused on dialing-in how the truck delivers its power to the ground on slippery surfaces,” said Cameron Dillon, F-150 Lightning powertrain engineer. “Customers may not regularly see minus 30-degree mornings like we are seeing here, but they will see winter cold, snow and icy roads, and they should feel confident their F-150 Lightning is ready for all of it.”

Formally called low-mu testing, this type of powertrain evaluation looks at how the all-electric powertrain adjusts power delivery to the wheels on low-traction surfaces – usually snow and ice in extremely cold temperatures. And what better place to test than at a restricted military base in Alaska?

Ford engineers drove a fleet of six F-150 Lightning pre-production units on various types of wintery surfaces such as loose snow, packed-groomed snow, complete ice, half ice-half concrete surfaces and more in the freezing temperatures. The F-150 Lightning pickup can sense wheel slip and adjust power to the wheels within milliseconds, benefiting from the quick responses of the all-electric powertrain.

“F-150 Lightning in the snow is a very different ballgame compared to gas vehicles,” said Nick Harris, F-150 Lightning powertrain engineer. “The responses are extremely quick and the dual motors make it as if you have two engines pumping out power in one vehicle. A lot of our work is to coordinate the two motors to work together to best deliver torque to the ground, so that customers who drive in the snow and ice ultimately feel very confident.”

F-150 Lightning offers stability and confidence in slippery conditions thanks to benefits attributed to its all-electric powertrain, and Built Ford Tough functionality:
  • Standard dual motors front and rear
  • Standard always-on 4x4
  • Quick torque delivery
  • Standard electronic-locking rear differential
  • Selectable drive modes
  • Low center of gravity for even more confident handling
Engineers are able to adjust the calibration in real-time while testing, helping to maximize efficiency during the 12-hour test days. In addition to Alaska, the F-150 Lightning powertrain team has conducted low-mu testing in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Borrego Springs, Johnson Valley, and at Ford’s Michigan Proving Grounds near Milford, just one of many elements of the robust Built Ford Tough endurance regime the F-150 Lightning goes through.

Customer deliveries of the 2022 F-150 Lightning truck begin this spring.

# # #

1 Based on manufacturer testing using computer engineering simulations. Calculated via peak performance of the electric motor(s) at peak battery power. Your results may vary.

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_01

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_02

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_03

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_04

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_05

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_06

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_07

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_08

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_09

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_10

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_11

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_12

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_13

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Alaska BFT testing_14

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Cameron Dillon_Powertrain Performance Engineer

Ford F-150 Lightning Watch the F-150 Lightning Extreme Cold Weather Testing in Alaska 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning_Nicholas Harris_Powertrain Safety Engineer
Sponsored

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Nice video....however, it did not include any reference to how well the battery held up in -30 temperatures. While there was a reference to 12 hours test days, how many times and how long was the battery charged in the same 12 hours.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Nice video....however, it did not include any reference to how well the battery held up in -30 temperatures. While there was a reference to 12 hours test days, how many times and how long was the battery charged in the same 12 hours.
Maybe the 12 hour day consisted of 11 hours of charging and 1 hour of driving?

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I've had my Mach E here in central AK for year. No problems with reliability or charging down to -38F. Winter 1.7 mi\kWh vs. Summer 3.0 mi\kWh.
They picked a 'good' winter for testing here.
This is the area where all the manufacturers test their cars. I've kept an eye out but haven't seen one yet. Mine has a May 23 build week so I won't get to see for myself this winter.
Those photos look like they were taken near the Army's cold weather testing site near Delta Junction.

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
That white truck is a base XLT (based on the bumpers, front light bar, and wheels) - and it has a standard tailgate without the rear light bar. There were questions about whether this would be the case or not.

I haven't seen any evidence regarding the tailgate on the XLT Premium tho. Could still be different on that one.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I've had my Mach E here in central AK for year. No problems with reliability or charging down to -38F. Winter 1.7 mi\kWh vs. Summer 3.0 mi\kWh.
They picked a 'good' winter for testing here.
This is the area where all the manufacturers test their cars. I've kept an eye out but haven't seen one yet. Mine has a May 23 build week so I won't get to see for myself this winter.
Those photos look like they were taken near the Army's cold weather testing site near Delta Junction.
Great to hear what you had to say about the Mach E in those temps! I also have a May 23 build for Lightning and will be selling my Tesla Model Y in June to help pay for it. I drive my Bronco in Tahoe snow and keep my Y at a lower elevation garaged, and don’t drive it in the Winter. I will keep my Lightning in Tahoe though and was a little worried about battery in the cold.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've left my Mach E out for weeks at a time and unplugged just to see what would happen. It started first time every time. In addition to the expected range decrease, the only things I noticed were: If the Mach E is cold soaked and not plugged in or prestarted it does take about twice as long as an ice for the cabin air to warm up. If you prestart or use a departure time then the car is toasty warm. Also, when cold soaked the DC fast charging can be quite a bit slower below -30.

Sponsored

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly. Not bragging about 1.7 mi\kWh, just stating the facts. I was told by an Alaskan Tesla owner to expect up to 50% normal range in very cold temps. That's what I plan on and, so far, no surprises after a full winter. If anyone is expecting the Lightning, or any EV, to have normal range during cold weather don't buy it.
And for what it's worth, I drive my Mach E (and will drive my Lightning) like an ICE and make no effort to maximize mileage. I keep cabin temp as warm as I like and don't always use preheat. Seat and steering heat work well, but I like warm air circulating at -40.

Last edited:

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
In real winter weather, a range drop of 40% vs. summer is to be expected. I've had 2 EVs and that is what they do.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
How is that great? Those numbers include nearly a 50% drop.
I was expecting to take the hit in mileage around 75% or lower in cold weather, but not like 50% hit that most EVs get for towing. It’s close, but still okay for me, since my average mileage around the lake is 72 miles and 30-40 miles in each direction. I don’t have a garage and will be plugged in outside in snowy weather and I’m very concerned about that. Sounds like it won’t be an issue with what he said. Super excited to get this truck.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Gotcha.

Yeah, I would be expecting a 40-50% hit so that wasn't surprising to me...not that I have to worry in LA. Some people are estimating a 20% hit so hopefully they aren't too disappointed.

Not bragging about 1.7 mi\kWh, just stating the facts.
I didn't thin you were. I was responding to the person who quoted your numbers and posted he was excited about them. Sounds like he was expecting numbers to be even worse so it's still great news that it'll "only" be a 50% hit as long as it works for his expected driving pattern.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've left my Mach E out for weeks at a time and unplugged just to see what would happen. It started first time every time. In addition to the expected range decrease, the only things I noticed were: If the Mach E is cold soaked and not plugged in or prestarted it does take about twice as long as an ice for the cabin air to warm up. If you prestart or use a departure time then the car is toasty warm. Also, when cold soaked the DC fast charging can be quite a bit slower below -30.
I am not sure I agree with this - maybe in very very cold temps, but we have found that our Mach-e heats up WAY faster than our ICE vehicles from a cold start. With an ICE vehicle, you have to wait 10-15 minutes of driving to let the engine warm up before you get any heat. In the Mach-e, you don't get an much, but it is effectively instant.
Sponsored