• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
I will. I'll do back-to-back range tests with the KO2s and the stock tires on consecutive days in the spring.

Thank you for the reply, Tom.

I was wondering what version of the Ford software you were using since a few on this board who have gotten more recent updates claim the range estimator functionality has been negatively effected?

And, thank you for your contributions on YouTube and on this board.
Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Thank you for the reply, Tom.

I was wondering what version of the Ford software you were using since a few on this board who have gotten more recent updates claim the range estimator functionality has been negatively effected?

And, thank you for your contributions on YouTube and on this board.
I don't know the exact number, but I did get the recent update that added the phone as a key feature if that helps

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was hoping to do a very rough comparison to the stock tires since I have a road trip planned next week, but weather is showing 60F when I leave. Who has heard of 60F in January in NY!

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Sorry if this is a duplicate. But this is a must watch.

You should be sorry about the missed opportunity for a good clickbait title.

"STRANDED COUPLE DOES EXTREME CALCULUS TO OUTSMART FORDS MAGICAL GOM TO SAVE CHRISTMAS!"

There Fixed it!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Hey, he's doing something right - he gets like 100X more views than I do on my videos. I guess the truth is boring...
Watching your content is like fine dining that I would like to do even when I am not hungry just for the pleasure of it. Watching his videos is like having cheap Chinese food; folks that are used to it, may go back despite the fact that they pulled a rat leg out of it last time but discerning audience can not watch the second eppisode.

This is one of the weird anomalies of the regular display information. What would make a software designer think it was a good idea to add SoC to the main display only while in Blue Cruise Hands-Free?
Apparently Ford has decided that SOC is not essential information and what you really need to know is how much range you have left. By that logic, I am guessing they figured if Blue-Cruise is driving, you can afford to be distracted with unimportant information.

I can understand why there is a conflict between Ford way of thinking and the customer. People think of their battery as gas tank. They want to know how much is in it. Ford is thinking half a gas tank is always half when half a cold battery is not quite the same as half of a warm battery so they want to do all the calculations and reduce the shock and surprise as much as possible from first time EV buyers. Rivian is the same, they design the interface for the worse scenario case user.

That Is my guess of what they were thinking. If it was me, I would have one default display and at least two configurable displays that allow you to pick anything available in OBD-II with numbers and nice graphics where it makes sense. I would also put a marketplace on Ford site where you could download displays other people have configured. Making assumptions on what people may find useful is so 80s. You have to open it up and enjoy the show.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Great video, Tom! Just like always, you tell the truth, like it is and I've learned so much by watching your videos. I hope to have my Lariat ER in late January and put to use what I learn. Thanks.

PS. That moon roof shot looks beautiful in that video... I can't wait for my truck to arrive. :cool:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I will. I'll do back-to-back range tests with the KO2s and the stock tires on consecutive days in the spring.
I'd love to see a video comparing the 18" Pro/XLT wheels with the stock All-terrains to the 20" XLT-high/Lariat wheels with All-Seasons.

Wondering if there would be any benefit to buying a take-off set of the 20" wheels for range due to the tires. Obviously, bigger wheels are usually worse, but it depends how efficient the tires are on the 20s vs how inefficient the tires are on the 18s.

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
On the 24th I drove from Larchmont NY to Annapolis MD, 7* F, directly into a 15-20 MPH wind, not preconditioned (my MIL doesn’t have a 240V outlet). On the NJ turnpike I was 70MPH and getting 1.4 M/KW. Stock AT tires, and set to 66* inside. ABR connected to my OBD link was very accurate at telling me my battery percentage at the charge stations I planned.

I learned…
1) preconditioning REALLY matters
2) wind REALLY matters
3) ABR premium connected to the OBD port accounts for weather fairly well

FWIW… I’ve watched more Tom videos than Hoovie…

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
There is a comment on Youtube that asks about the "power available" shown on the driver's display. It looks like it is showing only 30% power. What does that mean for the truck's capability? Acceleration reduced? Load would have more of an effect on range?

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
Sorry if this is a duplicate. But this is a must watch.

Thank you for your videos. They are informative and I learn something new with each one. Yesterday, I was able to up my mi/kWh average to 2.3 in low 50-degree weather by taking an alternate route and generally paying closer attention to my driving behavior. Do you think your wife's driving behavior is better than yours (or) do you think it was the 1,000-foot descent in elevation that left you with more mileage when you got back home? As a married man, I know which way I would answer the question. :) Happy New Year!

Sponsored
First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Insurance executive
I picked up my 2022 XLT from the dealership and it was -9 and -38 below. We are putting together the videos and write up to share. Long story short, started with 150 miles at full charge and didn’t get over 125 due to the 90% charge. Heater consumed about 28-30% of power. Made it home, but charge times were slow in the cold and distance from IN to Cincinnati made for a little bit of a nail biter for range anxiety.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning, 2020 BMW m340
Tom, any update now that Spring is here? I’m looking to upgrade tires on my Lariat ER, as the stock ATs are definitely not good in the winter.
Sponsored