• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Weird limited power issue with apparent front motor failure

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
This just happened to me today. FCSP to 85%, preconditionined and had 56% power availably on departure . I cycled the truck, no dice. I proceeded to drive the truck 40+ miles on the 5. I verified just the rear motor was working (output and regen). 65-70 mph in 42 degree rainy weather and got 2.3 mi/kwh and only used 12% battery. Usually the trip takes approximately 18% of the charge with 1.9-2.0 mi/kwh. The best efficiency that I have ever experienced. Once I arrived at my destination, turned the truck off for 10 minutes and back to 100% power output from both motors. My last software update was 1/23 - the small things no name update.

Maybe Ford should update the software to allow the front motor to be disabled like Rivian to help improve efficiency on the highway. I didn’t notice the reduced power at all while driving but I wasn’t pushing it hard either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Posting my experience to see if anyone has seen something similar to this:

Unplugged the truck with 70 % soc. Started the truck and the gauge cluster is telling me I am limited to 56% power on the far left (like how power is limited when low on battery/cold). Then get on the Interstate and change view to power distribution and notice 100% of the power is coming from rear motor. Then exit the Interstate and see regen breaking is the same, 100% regen showing it is from the rear motor with no movement from front motor. After stopping and restarting the truck, I have full power and power distribution is normal.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Maybe Ford should update the software to allow the front motor to be disabled like Rivian to help improve efficiency on the highway. I didn’t notice the reduced power at all while driving but I wasn’t pushing it hard either.
Rivian data indicates that there's only about a 6% increase in range on a long road trip at highway speeds going into that mode. You're indicating a the possibility of a much better improvement for the lightning. It would be nice to have this option on the drive mode screen even if it's as little as the Rivian. I usually drive easy, so this would be my default mode, but it's always fun to throw it into the higher performance modes from time to time.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
This happened to me last year right after an OTA update and I took it straight to the dealership. Ford also called me to inform me of a recall involving a high voltage module. It was a 9-12 hour job which took 3 days after waiting nearly 2 weeks for the part. Not sure if this is the same situation but that was my experience and it sucked. It was pretty cool to see all of the batteries dropped out of the bottom as they reprogrammed everything

PXL_20231005_204801865.MP.jpg

PXL_20231005_204740987.MP.jpg

PXL_20230920_042558296.MP.jpg

PXL_20230919_205140784.MP.jpg
This was me as well. Power reduction followed by module replacement.

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
Rivian data indicates that there's only about a 6% increase in range on a long road trip at highway speeds going into that mode. You're indicating a the possibility of a much better improvement for the lightning. It would be nice to have this option on the drive mode screen even if it's as little as the Rivian. I usually drive easy, so this would be my default mode, but it's always fun to throw it into the higher performance modes from time to time.
Agreed, I would take any sort of range increase. However, my measurements were pretty inexact. If it happens again (and I hope it does't because that may be indicative a problem), I will plug in my OBDII scanner and measure more precisely. I will also point out that shortly into the trip, the available power dropped to 51% instead of 56%. Configuration/toggle of dual or single motor would be great but the truck doing it on it's own, not so great. For those of you that this led to a module replacement, did the truck throw an error? It didn't in my case. @Ford Motor Company do you want my vin as well? Please.

Sponsored

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
Agreed, I would take any sort of range increase. However, my measurements were pretty inexact. If it happens again (and I hope it does't because that may be indicative a problem), I will plug in my OBDII scanner and measure more precisely. I will also point out that shortly into the trip, the available power dropped to 51% instead of 56%. Configuration/toggle of dual or single motor would be great but the truck doing it on it's own, not so great. For those of you that this led to a module replacement, did the truck throw an error? It didn't in my case. @Ford Motor Company do you want my vin as well? Please.
I would hope that this software is advanced enough to toggle a motor on and off depending on power demand. I was driving a 1995 Eldorado before I got my Lightning and they had it nailed back in the technology dark ages. I would further imagine that ANY range increase potential should be fully considered on these vehicles.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This has happened to me about a half dozen times in 18 months. Each time power cycling fixed the issue.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Due to the the type of motors they can not power off the front motor. It doesn't work like that.

Once you get that reduced power, the rest of the tell-tale signs of a failed battery module is that it won't charge at a fast charger. Give that a try.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Due to the the type of motors they can not power off the front motor. It doesn't work like that.
Help me understand how it happens where something gets messed up and the front motor will neither take nor regenerate power. What's going on there that would be different than powering off? It would be better to be able to be able to disconnect the front engine entirely I think, with some sort of neural, but it does seem the truck gets in an error state where the front engine is powered off.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Help me understand how it happens where something gets messed up and the front motor will neither take nor regenerate power. What's going on there that would be different than powering off? It would be better to be able to be able to disconnect the front engine entirely I think, with some sort of neural, but it does seem the truck gets in an error state where the front engine is powered off.
Even if you power off the front motor, you still don't have a way to disengage the gearbox. Parasitic drag negates any energy savings you are trying to achieve.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It's all about permanent magnet motors. It's one thing to have it happen when there are mechanical problems, but to do it for driving efficiencies doesn't happen when both are the permanent magnet. I can't recall the technical details, but it has been laid out a few times.
Sponsored