• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What are you getting mile per kWh while towing?

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Both of those stops, the chargers are broken, apparently they aren’t fixing them either. So I have to make it all in one shot or not at all.

1.0mi/kWh unfortunately won’t cut it. I do have a lot of slower driving and it’s all flat but still very very risky.
There's an EV go in Milford, it's only a 50kw charger but it would get you there. Obviously would take longer (states it would take about an hour and 15 minutes of charging based on a KW/mile of usage) but at least it would get you there. Does not state if it's out of order though.
Sponsored

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Heavy windstorm. 4 passengers. All highway.

1.7 empty trailer
0.9 with boat (1.0 when I cut the A/C)

Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? IMG_9515

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The other day I was hauling cattle to auction (100 mile round trip). SR XLT for me. It was chilly (35 degrees F) outside. Trailer with cattle was probably 3500 pounds. I started out getting 0.9 miles per KWh at 65 mph which wasn't going to get me home. I turned off the HVAC and eventually dropped my speed to 53 mph and started seeing 1.1 miles per KWh. After I dropped the 2,000 pounds of calves off I was getting 1.3 miles per KWh at 65 mph on the return trip with the empty trailer.

I made it back with plenty of charge but at the start of the trip I was wondering if it was going to make it. I was coming up with all sorts of contingency plans like dropping the trailer off somewhere on the return trip, going home and recharging then picking up the trailer to get it home.

Last edited:

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I’m considering throwing my gas generator in the bed just for good measure.
The extra weight of the gas generator will just reduce your range more than you would get from several hours of charging with said generator.

If there are any RV parks along the way you could stop in for a few hours of Level 2 recharging if it became necessary.

Another option if range became critical would be to drop off the boat near the destination, continue on to the destination DCFC and re-charge. Then drive the 10 or so miles back to the boat and finish the trip. Not ideal but still maybe faster than level 2 recharging or certainly faster than firing up a generator in the back of your truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
Thank you for the replies. I think what I’m going to have to do is use my wife’s Jeep 4xe that tows a maximum of 3500lbs which is what my setup weighs roughly. We will tow with that on the highway, then when we get to the slower speeds/stop and go, I will switch over to the lightning to tow it since it’ll handle the trailer better than her jeep. Pretty bummed this is what we have to do, really need a better charging infrastructure.

The 50kWh charger in Milford doesn’t show up on PlugShare?

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Thank you for the replies. I think what I’m going to have to do is use my wife’s Jeep 4xe that tows a maximum of 3500lbs which is what my setup weighs roughly. We will tow with that on the highway, then when we get to the slower speeds/stop and go, I will switch over to the lightning to tow it since it’ll handle the trailer better than her jeep. Pretty bummed this is what we have to do, really need a better charging infrastructure.

The 50kWh charger in Milford doesn’t show up on PlugShare?
I can't believe how much of a charging desert Southern Delaware is, especially with the shore points. With Royal Farms replacing/removing all the chargers they had, it really makes the trip tough. Any kind of timeline for Royal Farms to replace the chargers, or if they're even going to?

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It blows my mind there isn’t a fast charger down there. Makes me want to set one up as a business opportunity. The area is heavily traveled and becoming overpopulated down there now, a DC fast charger that isn’t tesla would be a huge success.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's an EV go in Milford, it's only a 50kw charger but it would get you there. Obviously would take longer (states it would take about an hour and 15 minutes of charging based on a KW/mile of usage) but at least it would get you there. Does not state if it's out of order though.
How do you know it’s a 50kWh charger? That wouldn’t be too terrible as long as I was able to have my boat there too while charging. There’s a charger that’s labeled as a 5.6kWh charger down the street from me in OCMD at the library but it’s really a 50kWh.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
How do you know it’s a 50kWh charger? That wouldn’t be too terrible as long as I was able to have my boat there too while charging. There’s a charger that’s labeled as a 5.6kWh charger down the street from me in OCMD at the library but it’s really a 50kWh.
I was just going off what it said on abrp, it's at a royal farms from what I saw.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately all the Royal farms chargers are permanently broken it seems. The only ones I see are 6.5kwh chargers.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Unfortunately all the Royal farms chargers are permanently broken it seems. The only ones I see are 6.5kwh chargers.
When are you towing? I might be able to check it before you come this way. I live in Salisbury but go that route from time to time, and it would give me a reason to take a little trip in my truck when it gets delivered.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m definitely bringing the boat down for the month of June but not positive on the dates just yet, I appreciate it though. Enjoy your new truck!

BoltUp

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Did a 38 mile highway test run towing small boat and trailer (2,000lbs). Used 19.8 kw for run and was getting 1.9 miles/kw. Speed averaged 68-70 mph. Weather 70 degrees / 13 mph wind.
Ford F-150 Lightning What are you getting mile per kWh while towing? AFB2330B-ED7B-45E0-A9AE-6858137B081C

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did a 38 mile highway test run towing small boat and trailer (2,000lbs). Used 19.8 kw for run and was getting 1.9 miles/kw. Speed averaged 68-70 mph. Weather 70 degrees / 13 mph wind.
Thanks for the results. That looks like it would be pretty aerodynamic behind the truck. I’ve found from towing with electric vehicles that the aerodynamics play more of a factor than weight (to a certain extent). My boat/trailer/motor loaded up is probably closer to 4000lbs and it’s a nearly 9ft wide catamaran, might as well be a heavy sail back there.
Sponsored