• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
From Out of Spec's YouTube channel. As expected, it doubles the cooling capacity of the battery and motors. No word on whether this affects charging and thermal throttling.
Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
From Out of Spec's YouTube channel. As expected, it doubles the cooling capacity of the battery and motors. No word on whether this affects charging and thermal throttling.
Thanks for sharing.

No mention of larger brakes or upgraded suspension with the Lightning Max Tow package. Only additional battery and motor cooling.

The Ford marketing representative was very clear in identifying the suspension/axles/etc. features on the ICE F-150 max tow packages. It seems clear from this interview that Lighting Max towing is only cooling related.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’m still in the camp that it’s likely not technically necessary BUT i ordered it on my truck so, Ford suckered me in anyway. It will be interesting to see if someone can actually prove it does something. It sounds like they have motor temp readouts in the display so it likely can be tested pretty easily.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I still want to know if the extra cooling makes the truck louder in normal non-towing mode and whether it increases batter charging performance.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Yeah, disappointed that bigger brakes aren’t included. However, if you’re using motor regen to brake and it’s got extra cooling I suppose that works out to have about the same effect.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Said nothing we didn't already know.

Really just want to know if the cooling would kick in outside of towing ever. Extra cooling could be useful for 100f days, which is just going to become more common, because of you know....

I have it optioned but if It would never kicking outside of towing, I wouldn't have use.

I would never tow (or At most nothing big), but does anyone know if that extra capacity is common in short trips? Could be useful for reslse value, but unsure.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’d imagine it is passive cooling, So yes it should always provide a benefit.
Towing will generate excess heat. Just as carrying a heavy payload would.

Why would they only enable it when “tow mode” is on.. if that is even a thing. My guess is that it is simply a larger and more efficient cooler/fan/pump.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Yeah, disappointed that bigger brakes aren’t included. However, if you’re using motor regen to brake and it’s got extra cooling I suppose that works out to have about the same effect.
I have to say, that even my anemic Kia Soul Ev+ has significantly better braking than the Kia Soul Gas version. For the first time since I owned it I had to brake extremely hard because a coyote ran in front of me. Its the first time I have ever felt the ABS on the car. Because of the regen, it stopped more like a motorbike than a car.

So my suspicion is that regen would more than compensate for the bigger brakes.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Said nothing we didn't already know.

Really just want to know if the cooling would kick in outside of towing ever. Extra cooling could be useful for 100f days, which is just going to become more common, because of you know....

I have it optioned but if It would never kicking outside of towing, I wouldn't have use.

I would never tow (or At most nothing big), but does anyone know if that extra capacity is common in short trips? Could be useful for reslse value, but unsure.
Exactly. If I tow something it would likely not be more than 3-4k. I can't see "needing" additional cooling on hot days if not towing anything, but I wonder if it would adjust driving behavior outside of towing.

A battery is generally happiest at 90-105F, and if the stock cooling system can keep the system in that range without throttling performance or charging speed, there'd be no reason to spec the max tow package unless you were actually towing. When DCFC my Tesla, it will actively cool the battery using the air conditioner even when temps are in the 60s. I'd like to think that trucks with the max tow and without would have the same charging speed, else they would probably just make the max tow spec the standard.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I'm in the same boat. I went back and forth on it and having owned an EV for 6 years decided to opt for it.

Double the capacity in theory should:
Allows flatter curves in terms of battery temperature fluctuations
That in turn could keep you DCFC at a higher rate for longer.
It could require less energy to maintain battery pack temperatures.
Which theoretically could mean better efficiency and even less vampire loss.

...all theoretically of course. But I don't anticipate that being an easily retrofittable option so I decided to just add it.

Sponsored

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
although price isn't that bad & appears a good candidate for a no brainer purchase for it will do no harm on battery and certainly improve battery performance under heavy usage but is it really?.....Surely it is designed to help on cooling that will result to prolonged service life of battery on heavy >5K lbs tow. But I would think Ford engineers would still select the standard tow cooling fan (for units without the max trailer tow package) with enough size to meet & maintain optimum battery temperature as long as you are within max recommended tow load & even if on DCFC. Hard to believe that the supplied standard tow cooling fan pump is "under spec" to achieve an optimum battery service life & one needs a Max trailer tow fan/pump to get it. Isn't it just a waste of money?

if above is true I don't really need it, especially i lived in Vancouver BC & have fairly nicer cooler weather most of the time, not be towing airstream and may tow utility only once every blue moon and doing local city driving most of the time and will only do long trips in summer 2X per year which will include DCFC for the long trips.

Last edited:

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm in the same boat. I went back and forth on it and having owned an EV for 6 years decided to opt for it.

Double the capacity in theory should:
Allows flatter curves in terms of battery temperature fluctuations
That in turn could keep you DCFC at a higher rate for longer.
It could require less energy to maintain battery pack temperatures.
Which theoretically could mean better efficiency and even less vampire loss.

...all theoretically of course. But I don't anticipate that being an easily retrofittable option so I decided to just add it.
The fact that it could be difficult to retrofit is what pushed me over. It *might not* be difficult to retrofit, too. It could be as simple as adding some extra hoses and fittings but it's impossible to know that now. I assume the extra cooling loops will be built into all of the batteries but only connected in the Max Tow package trucks. If the cooling loops aren't built in to all of the batteries then it would definitely be hard to retrofit. There might also be a higher capacity cooling pump involved. The cost of the upgrade is low enough to take the chance. If it was $2-3k then I would've passed. It's not likely I'll even tow close to 10k pounds with Lighting but 5-7k is a possibility.

Cybermonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f-150 xlt chrome edition. 2017 VW Jetta se
Occupation
Plumber
I'm interested in whether or not it will also heat the battery better in the cold winter, or does it only cool? Can it help improve cold weather charging, hot weather charging, fast charging, or does it only help while towing, and in towing mode?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
if you have a liquid-cooled system, it is also, by nature, a liquid-heated system: yes, it would help in the winter months as well.
The 'normal' battery pack, with towing up to 5,000lbs, on ANY of these truck trims, will NOT require any additional cooling - ONLY if you need to tow more than that on a regular basis wouldl it be a real requirement - as it's the HEAT buildup in the battery pack that is what is critical to cool down - it's NOT the weight of what you might be pulling.
The 'Max Towing' package simply upgrades that cooling to make sure that the size of battery pack, whether standard or extended range, has the cooling it needs for LONG DISTANCE towing, for HEAVY loads. The towing capacity of the truck is no different no matter whether you get 'Max Tow' package cooling or not, but the cooling is needed to keep the battery pack from potentially overheating.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Your momma's so big your lightning needs the max tow package.
Sponsored