• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who is installing solar as part of their Lightning purchase?

Do you plan to get solar when you get your Lightning?

• Total voters

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
The expansion went fine. Initially were going to just add panels to my existing inverter. However, It became clear it was beneficial to add a second inverter so we could mount a few panels on the backside of my house(NW facing) so there was generation in the afternoon.

Something I forgot to add earlier is to choose an installer who is experienced in custom designing a layout to get the maximum output based on the orientation of the home, surrounding vegetation, eaves/dormers/upper levels which can shade the panels.

My house is ESE-WNW orientation. This means that neither my "front" or "back" produces a maximum power output, but I can put panels on both sides of the home and get decent generation.

On the front side(facing ESE) I had 18panels originally..we added 2 additional panals(to fill the roof) hooked to original array.

Add on array has 8 panels facing WNW hooked to a much smaller inverter. I could add more panels to the back--but it may not be worth it as part of that roof is shaded by trees along the side of the property during the late afternoon when the WNW panels would have the most exposure to the sun.

Luckily my house faces south.

Was just thinking of adding another 10 panels or so, but doing it myself. I have a ground array also.
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
We have an Audi Etron and once the Lightning order was confirmed it was a no brainer to get solar. Install is scheduled a few weeks before Lightning production date and looking at roughly $13k after all rebates for a 10Kw system in NY.

NYS rebates are significant and we have full net metering with no limits in Upstate NY.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
We have an Audi Etron and once the Lightning order was confirmed it was a no brainer to get solar. Install is scheduled a few weeks before Lightning production date and looking at roughly $13k after all rebates for a 10Kw system in NY.

NYS rebates are significant and we have full net metering with no limits in Upstate NY.

That's amazing. Enjoy it. We have no assistance here in MI and no net metering either; rather "distributed generation" that pays way less for export energy to the grid.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
For reference I had 3 quotes for a roughly 7.5kW system come in at $21-26k. DIY kit + stamped drawings was $12,500. My neighbor paid $32k for his similar system with a 4th contractor and realized later it was a terrible deal.

@LightningShow - keep shopping.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
We get net metering and a $0.027/kWh credit for the renewable energy. It's not a ton but it adds up over the life of the system.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
For reference I had 3 quotes for a roughly 7.5kW system come in at $21-26k. DIY kit + stamped drawings was $12,500. My neighbor paid $32k for his similar system with a 4th contractor and realized later it was a terrible deal.

@LightningShow - keep shopping.

I'll definitely keep shopping. I have another estimate scheduled and expecting a few more quotes this week.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
We’re @ $0.25/kWh here so it helps justify the payback.
Wow. That’s a lot. I’m at 13¢. my Utility allows a big discount with certain level 2 chargers and time of use taking it down to 3.7¢ to charge off peak. I don’t qualify because I have solar.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Wow, higher than CA! Sorry man. Solar is going to be a great option for you :LOL: ?

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
If only I could get more I would!

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
As someone who recently installed solar(2019) and then expanded the system(2021) I'll offer a few thoughts.

- Prices vary wildly for solar installation. We found a good local installer who cost half as much as the national "big chain" solar companies. A large part of the cost is labor(installation).

- Don't buy from door to door solar companies and research extensively. Solar is a long term investment..make sure you're comfortable with the installer/seller as you may need them for service and or expansion down the road. Also be aware of sales tricks including inflated production numbers, offering cheap quality panels, overestimation of tax credits/incentives, etc. Focus on quality of equipment, warranty and reputation vs strictly looking at price. A trick is to look at the price per watt VS. total overall price of system.

- Go into it knowing that solar is not for everyone in every situation. Maybe your house is shaded, maybe you plan to move in a few years. Maybe your utility is not friendly towards solar and/or your state offers little to none tax credits. Although I can't fault anyone for doing the "right thing" out of concern for the environment--the fact is it may not be economically prudent.

- Do keep an open mind however. Solar is a long term investment with huge payoff down the road. Good quality solar panels will last 25yrs or more and have production warranties 20+ yrs. In reality, your particular living situation may be more of a limitation than any panel lifespan issue.

- All this said if you keep a level head and have realistic expectations-- solar can work even in cloudy areas. It really depends upon how friendly your state/utility is towards solar and the incentives offered. I live in upstate NY and the incentives put my payback time at ~8yrs. That is great given the cloudiness of the region and the snow cover in winter. It is true that I have to invest in a larger system that most to get the benefit--as the same size system here produces much less power than say Arizona-- but you have space and incentives in can potentially work virtually anywhere.

Just my thoughts..3ys into solar and very satisfied...looking to expand again if we replace our vehicles with EVs.
Thank you for these important points!

You are correct about the door to door sales people that are really just commissioned sales people who don't know much about anything except to sell.

SunRun at Costco told me the same sales pitch - they don't have a clue and their service is awful as of recent.

My neighbor just got 26 LG panels installed by SunLux and he loves it - chose to finance at 0.9% for 20 years!
6 months later, can't get the panels nor finance rate!

Looking around for efficient panels with low degradation per year is tough as most "bottom feeder" solar companies either want to sell you junky panels at a premium or more panels than you need.

My latest inquiry was awful - they are the utility company's main contractor and the said only 8 panels would fit based on 3ft spacing fire code? How come my next door neighbor you can see way more panels than 8 and we have the same roof / architecture.

Quite disheartened now...
Ford F-150 Lightning Who is installing solar as part of their Lightning purchase? 20220621013513000000image (3107) (1)

RTanton

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Platinum
We have 21 SunPower panels that were installed when we purchased our 2016 Sonata plug-in and currently produce 105% of our electrical needs. Doing calculations of its electrical consumption versus our Lightning we know that our 21 would not cover our needs. We opted to add 8 panels from Sunrun. In So Cal we know that we will have many power outages this summer and adding backup was a major reason to swap the Lightning for our Sonata.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Thank you for these important points!

You are correct about the door to door sales people that are really just commissioned sales people who don't know much about anything except to sell.

SunRun at Costco told me the same sales pitch - they don't have a clue and their service is awful as of recent.

My neighbor just got 26 LG panels installed by SunLux and he loves it - chose to finance at 0.9% for 20 years!
6 months later, can't get the panels nor finance rate!

Looking around for efficient panels with low degradation per year is tough as most "bottom feeder" solar companies either want to sell you junky panels at a premium or more panels than you need.

My latest inquiry was awful - they are the utility company's main contractor and the said only 8 panels would fit based on 3ft spacing fire code? How come my next door neighbor you can see way more panels than 8 and we have the same roof / architecture.

Quite disheartened now...
20220621013513000000image (3107) (1).png
I would check with someone else. I *think* the code maybe 3ft along the edges of the roof, NOT the roofline(ridge). Thats what it is in NY. You see many installations with the top panels nearly up flush with the ridgeline. (Again I do not know the codes in California, they may be different than NY).

Even if the above light "area" is legit..I could see at least 4 more panels by placing the top panels sideways.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I would check with someone else. I *think* the code maybe 3ft along the edges of the roof, NOT the roofline(ridge). Thats what it is in NY. You see many installations with the top panels nearly up flush with the ridgeline. (Again I do not know the codes in California, they may be different than NY).

Even if the above light "area" is legit..I could see at least 4 more panels by placing the top panels sideways.
Yes you are correct - the installer is using an old building code and wrong distances.

Apparently updated the code for 18" distance in my county/city.

I received some good advice on Salar Panel Talk forum: https://www.solarpaneltalk.com

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Living in the Pacific Northwest we would have a negative return on investment if we added solar to our house. So, until the efficiency goes up a lot more, we will have to just sit on the sidelines. Sad really, as we would like to have it on our house.
Negative how?

I have 2 systems on my farm in Oregon, and a new one on my house in Snohomish County, WA. While the payoff is fairly long with our very low cost hydropower, they will pay for themselves. For the older WA house, the electrical upgrades were nearly worth it alone.

PV is what has pushed me to get an EV (gen 1 Volt is not enough), and without it, I may have stayed ICE. All I need now is an EV Tractor with 50HP at the PTO.
Sponsored