• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter range dropoff

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Does remote starting equate to preconditioning? If not is there an easy way to set a one-time departure? If you miss the departure time, does it keep preconditioning?
No
No
Not sure….
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Does remote starting equate to preconditioning? If not is there an easy way to set a one-time departure? If you miss the departure time, does it keep preconditioning?
No.
No.
No.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Never seen that in NYS. Going 69 on the NYS thruway will easily make you a slow driver in the right lane.
Fair enough. Maybe I just look suspicious in my black station wagon. Somehow I manage to be the slowest guy on the road and still get pulled over for "speeding".

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
No
No
Not sure….
So "starting" heats the cabin, but not the battery, bummer.

Once I set a departure time, it is weekly, and I have to go back after departure and delete/disable it, correct?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So "starting" heats the cabin, but not the battery, bummer.

Once I set a departure time, it is weekly, and I have to go back after departure and delete/disable it, correct?
Correct….I’ve forgotten to delete a one-use departure time a couple of times. Fortunately, I got a push notification in FordPass so I could stop it.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Here in TX even some of the rural 2 lanes are 75mph limit. 4-over is moving briskly ;)
Yeah, not here in the PNW… Oregon rural freeway max. is 65 mph, WA is 70….

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
No.
No.
No.
Today, my truck was set to precondition by 0615 hrs. I got to the truck at 0625 hrs and found the truck’s Charge Port Indicator lights were still BLUE/flashing, my FCSP indicator light was flashing BLUE, and the truck was still acting as it was still heating the HVB and the cabin. The vehicle never stated charging yesterday as it’s SoC was over my 80% limit set in the truck & iApp.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Today, my truck was set to precondition by 0615 hrs. I got to the truck at 0625 hrs and found the truck’s Charge Port Indicator lights were still BLUE/flashing, my FCSP indicator light was flashing BLUE, and the truck was still acting as it was still heating the HVB and the cabin. The vehicle never stated charging yesterday as it’s SoC was over my 80% limit set in the truck & iApp.
Charger was likely trying to catch up to usage for precondition. If it is 0f outside and I precondition I will usually be down 1% from my 90% SOC versus allowing it it precondition when it’s not plugged in as lose about 4%. The battery has a very large mass and takes a lot of energy to warm. Imagine trying to heat a 2000 lb or almost 300 gallon block of ice to 50 degrees.

filmryder

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning XLT ER Agate Black
Occupation
Film and tv
It’s been in the 30s around here lately and range in my ER is taking a big hit. I spent about 70% of my battery (90% to 20%) to travel 170 miles (flat land with cruise at 71). I’m getting worried for when it actually gets cold.

What are you other cold weather folks seeing?
That’s about right !

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
At what low/high temperatures would it be worthwhile to set a departure time for preconditioning? Below 40F and above 90F? @Ford Motor Company

Manual p220: "When AC charging, keep your vehicle
plugged in when the outside temperatures
are very high or low. This enables the
system to maintain the high voltage
battery for best performance."
-So when AC charging, the battery is always being preconditioned? Even if battery has reached a set charge limit?

Just a note: Charging for the first time at a DCFC after a 130 mile trip, I was satisfied using a EA 350kW charger (since the 150kW unit was "unavailable", fix maybe 2 weeks away) from 29% to 79% took only 25 minutes, starting at 159kW rate, 56% was still 149kW, finishing at 97kW rate. Beats my 1% rate per hour at home on 120Vac!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At what low/high temperatures would it be worthwhile to set a departure time for preconditioning? Below 40F and above 90F? @Ford Motor Company

-So when AC charging, the battery is always being preconditioned? Even if battery has reached a set charge limit?

Just a note: Charging for the first time at a DCFC after a 130 mile trip, I was satisfied using a EA 350kW charger (since the 150kW unit was "unavailable", fix maybe 2 weeks away) from 29% to 79% took only 25 minutes, starting at 159kW rate, 56% was still 149kW, finishing at 97kW rate. Beats my 1% rate per hour at home on 120Vac!
As the manual states, just being plugged in will service the battery even without setting a departure time.
IMO, setting a departure time is only useful if you will be traveling a long distance and want to maximize range, or if you want the cabin nice and comfy when you get in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

No.

Vehicle will do 2 things. It will use the HVB to keep the 12v battery charged. And, it will keep the HVB from freezing.

On very cold nights, you will find that the truck will hit the charger for say 15 minutes to warm the battery up. This is nowhere near a predeparture temperature.

At other times, it will sip the charger for a minute or so, topping off.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
After the initial warming of the cabin, that heater is only going to use 1500-2000 watts or less to keep it warm. That's maybe 4.5kWh to 6kWh after a 3 hour drive which is only ~5% of battery at most.
Even that doesn't make sense to me. It would seem to me a 500 watt space heater could nicely heat a small space like the truck cabin! Maybe we all just need to buy space heaters and plug 'em into the power on board! :ROFLMAO:

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
New York State is one of the worst for pulling people over for minor infractions. I've been pulled over now once for going 6 over(71 in a 65) and an alleged expired safety inspection sticker(it wasn't).
I think you had bad luck. My rule of thumb has been to not exceed 10 miles over the speed limit and I have never received a speeding ticket while doing that.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I think you had bad luck. My rule of thumb has been to not exceed 10 miles over the speed limit and I have never received a speeding ticket while doing that.
Maybe I just look suspicious(or guilty). I lived for years in Va and managed to never get pulled over by the state police. The Fairfax county cops..that's another story.
Sponsored