• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wireless charging pad not functioning properly.

hg020680

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron, Audi A4, Mini Cooper S and soon F150 L
Occupation
Regional Property Manager
While taking my first drive over 30 minutes I noticed that my phone's battery level dropped while on the wireless charging pad. On my 2nd drive over 30 minutes I paid attention to the phone and noticed that it would stop charging after a minute or two.
Sponsored

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
I hope that this is not the same problem that our 2022 Acura has with it's wireless charger. If you try to charge a newer iPhone, the iPhone MagSafe metal ring freaks out the charger and it doesn't work. Acura has known about the problem for quite some time and still no fix.

What kind of a phone do you have? Please don't say iPhone. ;)

OP
OP

hg020680

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron, Audi A4, Mini Cooper S and soon F150 L
Occupation
Regional Property Manager
I hope that this is not the same problem that our 2022 Acura has with it's wireless charger. If you try to charge a newer iPhone, the iPhone MagSafe metal ring freaks out the charger and it doesn't work. Acura has known about the problem for quite some time and still no fix.

I have a Galaxy S21. I also noticed the phone heats up substantially.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat

I have a newer iPhone with the Apple MagSafe leather case. So far, the wireless charging and wireless CarPlay have been perfect.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
My iPhone 12 Pro Max is just too big to successfully “connect” the MagSafe to our ID.4’s plate. Have you tried removing it from the case? Usually helps me, but then the phone heats up too much if using GPS.

Cords still seem to win.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Had this issue today on the drive to and from work. The wireless pad was overheating and so was the phone. My iPhone shut off as it was too hot. I’ll try again tomorrow while not using Waze

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Have the exact same issue with my Pixel 5 (edit: in our Mach-e, forgot which Forum I was on!)

1) wireless charging location is very picky and if you are even a fraction of a millimeter off it will not charge. This is a true even without a case.

2) wireless charging is not fast enough to keep up with wireless android auto use so your battery will drop if you are using that. Trying to use both at the same time will also overheat your phone

Overall not very impressed with the wireless charger. If we are driving anywhere that will take awhile, it is much easier to just plug in.

Last edited:

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It's disappointing that something as basic as a wireless charger does not work properly on the most popular phones.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It's disappointing that something as basic as a wireless charger does not work properly on the most popular phones.
Ford has had a problem with their wireless charging for years. We have a 2020 Edge with the wireless pad and we never use it because it charges very slow and your phone gets hot.

I have an old Samsung wireless charger I put my phone on every night. It's slow, but I don't care because I only use it when I'm sleeping. It must be 10 years old, and still works better than what Ford puts in their vehicles today.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I wonder how challenging it would be to swap the coil and controller out for one that works?

I have a 3d printed wireless charger in my Model S that uses parts from an Ikea wireless charger. It does great. It doesn't have enough juice to charge while using Waze on display, but that's okay with me.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Ford has had a problem with their wireless charging for years. We have a 2020 Edge with the wireless pad and we never use it because it charges very slow and your phone gets hot.

I have an old Samsung wireless charger I put my phone on every night. It's slow, but I don't care because I only use it when I'm sleeping. It must be 10 years old, and still works better than what Ford puts in their vehicles today.
Tesla's wireless charging in the Model 3/Y is also poor. I have to take my Samsung S21+ out of the case to make it work in the car, despite every wireless stand & pad at home being able to work through my case. If Ford is that bad at it, I'm likely to look for an alternative, like mounting an external charge pad.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
If we have a 12 volt cigarette socket, I will use that since my Otterbox case is not wireless charger friendly.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
It's not the charging - it's Android Auto which is a tremendous battery hog and much worse when sending screen updates over WiFi (note having AA turned on forces your phone onto a private wifi network with the car, which is pretty crappy if for example you were wanting to use it to provide a hotspot for anything else).

The wireless charger can't keep up with the power demand and wireless charging is inherently inefficient and creates heat, so with newer versions of Android the phone can even overheat and shut down. It's kind of a perfect storm. The only solution is to plug in by USB which addresses both the AA-over-wifi power hogging and the wireless charger heat production, and reserve the wireless charging pad for the passenger.

People don't see this in Teslas because Tesla doesn't support Android Auto...

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
People don't see this in Teslas because Tesla doesn't support Android Auto...
I've found there are different levels of wireless charging quality. On my desk I use a 15W pad that can keep up with most power demands (running Microsoft Teams and Intune uses a similar load when you're in a meeting and the phone is trying to keep up) - it even kept up with Waze in Model S where some of the poorer 5W and 10W pads cannot. So I think it's a little of both really, although I do agree that Android Auto is a crazy power hog.
Sponsored