• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Yet another Tonneau cover thread

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
I have been searching for the right Tonneau cover for about a year now, I know I want to go hard cover.
I have had a Tyger Tri-Fold since 2016. It was on my previous F-150 and now its on my lightning.
It was $200 and its been....fine

Now, I am looking for a nicer one for the Lightning. Considering this is a more expensive, nicer truck than my last one I would like something that fits the truck, provides security for various cargo in the bed, and will last. Basically all the reasons for a Tonneau cover.

I've watched many YouTube videos on many different covers, read many different threads, but I still can not decide.

I believe I have it narrowed down to 2/3 covers.
Main "Wants":
  • Hard Cover
  • Folding or Retractable
  • Weatherproof isn't a "big" deal, everything sensitive will be in cases or totes. Any cover should provide the weather protection I want
  • Winter / Snow / Ice is not a concern for me (FL)
  • Option to store items on top of the cover is a very nice bonus. I could see throwing extra totes on top but without a track system / rack there is no where to tie it down.

Initial thought is that I want a retractable cover.
I really like:
RetraxONE XR and RetraxPRO XR for the track system, and being able to lock it at any position.
I do not have any cross bars so those items would be an additional cost. But I like the thought of being able to transport items on top if needed / use the track system in the future.
The downside of these / any retractable covers is loosing the bed space. I initially thought I would be okay with it, but as I look at more reviews and see the canister that is in the bed I don't like how it nearly covers up the cleats towards the bulkhead of the bed, I do use those a lot. However, I have thoughts about finding a tote that could fit under that space so I could still use some storage....but additional cost again.
Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1705944629213

To add more storage, while getting a retractable cover - I looked at the American Work Cover / jr from Truck Covers USA and I really LOVE the thought of having that waterproof toolbox for a charger, cables, adapters, straps, etc.
Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1705944659160

I "gain" that space since I lose bed space. I think I would use that storage more than the bed storage, I just can not justify that price because they are VERY expensive, and there is no track system. I also don't like having to use the strap inside to close it. That means I would have to drop the tailgate to close the cover. With the Retrax system I could open/close the cover without needing to open the tailgate.
Also for the price of that cover, I could look into the RSI Smart Cap for a totally different system even though I don't really want/need a cap. I just like the functionality and modular nature of it.

On the folding side, for the past year I have debated the BAKflip Mx4, which is incredibly recommended and seems to be the "go-to" for so many people. The price of folding covers is much easier to deal with. Instead of the BAKflip, I think I prefer the Leer HF650M - which is what I am leaning towards. I like how its 4 panels, but its really only "open or closed" I kinda wish I could just open 1 section and have it stay in place. I also do not like that I can't open the cover without lowering the tailgate, I could see that getting annoying over time - especially with the power tailgate.

Considering the price for a folding cover is lower when compared to retractable I could also probably justify the Builtright MOLLE bed panels and/or the under seat drawers from DeeZee. I have car seats and having that drawer would be great. Right now items are just under the seats and I can not easily access them. But I have concerns of noise with that system.

Folding options give me nearly the full bed, but I would lose any track system if I wanted to utilize "upper" storage. The downside to these systems are they are either open or closed, I've had a few times where an item doesn't fit under the cover, but I don't want to open the entire bed - just a portion of the bed.

The few times I do use the full length of my bed it would be nice to be able to easily remove the cover for a planned trip, or fold them out of the way for spontaneous pickups.
On the retractable side, removal is probably much more difficult for planned trips. However, spontaneous pickups wouldn't be a huge deal since I could just lower the tailgate.

I know there are many pros and cons to any cover.

Anyway,
I am hoping to get some more information from people on here who may have been in my position and help get the right information to buy the cover that I'll love and will use for a long time.
I also know there are a few sponsors that offer forum discounts so I figured I would gather more information before making a purchase.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Some points.

1) Our trucks are the same as gas trucks. The F-150 forums has a lot more members with years and years of experience.

2) I have a Extang Encore Tri-Fold for 10 years on my F-150 (no longer made). Liked it because:
- when folded doesn't block window
- lets you open the front portion only by the cab (but you need a ladder to reach in)
- removable

We hauled a lot of crap emptying my in-law's house (over 9 tons of scrap over 3 years), so removable was important THEN.

I did my research and got a Peragon, which folds into the bed and blocks space. Having had a 6.5' bed in the past, I didn't realize the impact of losing that space. And, the Peragon rattles when open and you go over a bump, and didn't lock in like they said in partial positions. And could take no weight. So I sent it back.

I splurged and bought a Diamondback HD. The SD would have been fine, but I waited until Black Friday and got $200 off the HD, so it wasn't much more. SD can take 400 pounds, HD can take 1,600 pounds. Looks amazing with bedliner coating, HD has 12 cleats (SD has 4 as I recall). Came a few weeks ago (waitlist 7-8 weeks, up from 3 or so back in September).

Downsides:

- Can fold up the back panel (about 40%), but that's it, you would have to remove it otherwise. But, most big things could simply go on top.

- Instead of the 65 pounds of the Extang Encore, this weighs 125. But, you remove the two big panels and the small panel, so you're only lifting 50 pounds. I don't plan on hauling stuff anymore, so can't imagine when I would need to remove it.

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
I looked into the Diamondback and the Renegade. For my usage those are overkill.
Considering this will be my first Tonneau cover, and for my usage of the truck bed I think I'm going to go with the Leer HF650M. It seems to check almost every box I can think of, and be affordable.

If I'm unhappy with it immediately I can return it, if I don't like it down the road then I'll know what I would want and I can sell this one and purchase a different one.

Typing out my thoughts and talking with a friend helped me steer towards folding

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One other issue I had was security. Many hard tonneaus unlock by pulling a wire. That wire is easily accessed if someone wants to get in. Few makers block access. I did on my last one by hanging a piece of rubber in front and behind it.

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Do you know if its compatible with a DualLiner? I'm considering getting one of those.
I like the "beat it up" but "soft" nature of a drop in liner, but the rubber mat also appeals to me.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Gator EFX Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | GC24029 | Fits 2021 - 2023 Ford F-150 5' 7" Bed (67.1") https://a.co/d/73OE1F7

This has been a great cover in 3k miles and looks very sharp and nice.

https://www.weathertech.com/ford/2023/f-150-lightning/impactliner/

Love this liner, very nice and easy on knees and the high wrap around edges is nice. The texture keeps everything in place.
I think I am for sure getting the Leer. Thanks for the suggestion on the Gator though.

For the Liner, I was planning on going with Husky Liners - because I have their floor mats and I LOVE them. I currently have no bed liner, so I like the option of a rubber mat to throw down. Not sure if the weathertech would be the husky in my opinion and its more expensive.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
True but your Leer is alot more then my Gator:) I got both for not much more then the liner. I've had all the bed liner and cover types spray in, drop in, mat, carpet and a Leer cap. Soft fold, retractable and hard.

I don't like the mat types like husky because the edge around them is where tons of dirt goes in and the paint is pretty exposed when you slide stuff into it. The tech liner is pretty sweet compromise to me. But to each there own, I'm sure it will be awesome and tones of fun to set up your truck your way!

I just ordered this too, it may not be great based on reviews but I'd like it on the passenger side with hitch, tow straps, rope, bungee and gloves for easy access.

Limited-time deal: VEVOR Truck Bed Storage Box, Swing Case Fits Ford F-150 2015-2021, Passenger Side, Lockable Wheel Well Tool Box with Password Padlock, Waterproof and Durable ABS Tool Box https://a.co/d/gPR00vo

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know if its compatible with a DualLiner? I'm considering getting one of those.
I like the "beat it up" but "soft" nature of a drop in liner, but the rubber mat also appeals to me.
I had the DualLiner on my 2013. Didn't get it this time due to having a spray-in liner, just put in a Ford bedmat (which I dislike due to poor finish quality, and have a Husky on the way, which was free).

The DualLiner was nice, basically it's a drop-in liner's sides, and the bottom is the mat, which fits into grooves in the side liners.

Sponsored
OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
True but your Leer is alot more then my Gator:) I got both for not much more then the liner. I've had all the bed liner and cover types spray in, drop in, mat, carpet and a Leer cap. Soft fold, retractable and hard.

I don't like the mat types like husky because the edge around them is where tons of dirt goes in and the paint is pretty exposed when you slide stuff into it. The tech liner is pretty sweet compromise to me. But to each there own, I'm sure it will be awesome and tones of fun to set up your truck your way!

I just ordered this too, it may not be great based on reviews but I'd like it on the passenger side with hitch, tow straps, rope, bungee and gloves for easy access.

Limited-time deal: VEVOR Truck Bed Storage Box, Swing Case Fits Ford F-150 2015-2021, Passenger Side, Lockable Wheel Well Tool Box with Password Padlock, Waterproof and Durable ABS Tool Box https://a.co/d/gPR00vo
All valid points. The Gator one doesn't fully fold up though, looks like its only compact for 1/3rd.
Time to look at other options again today after work lol

Reactions: JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
That is true, but very lite and easy to remove. It's fun to look for sure, I did almost go Leer and also diamond back. This is flush and leaves my stake pockets open to add an additional rack above the cover. My wife wants me to build a snoopy house above the bed cover with him flying it next year for Christmas and light it up with the truck outlets, so my requirements are different lol.

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
That is true, but very lite and easy to remove. It's fun to look for sure, I did almost go Leer and also diamond back. This is flush and leaves my stake pockets open to add an additional rack above the cover. My wife wants me to build a snoopy house above the bed cover with him flying it next year for Christmas and light it up with the truck outlets, so my requirements are different lol.
That is awesome! If you do that you will need to share photos. I'm trying to think of fun things to do for Christmas next this year.

I am back to square 1 on my search because now I'm considering just saving some money and going cheaper, which gives me more money for other fun things lol

Reactions: JRT

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I have the BAKflip MX4 on my Lightning. Looks nice, but that's where it ends, leaks water in and I personally don't recommend it to anyone who asks about it. Planning on a warranty submission when the weather warms a bit.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I think I am for sure getting the Leer. Thanks for the suggestion on the Gator though.

For the Liner, I was planning on going with Husky Liners - because I have their floor mats and I LOVE them. I currently have no bed liner, so I like the option of a rubber mat to throw down. Not sure if the weathertech would be the husky in my opinion and its more expensive.
I got the husky rubber bed liner so I wouldn't...scratch my spray in bed liner.
Works great.
Sponsored