• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Yet another Tonneau cover thread

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I have been searching for the right Tonneau cover for about a year now, I know I want to go hard cover.
I have had a Tyger Tri-Fold since 2016. It was on my previous F-150 and now its on my lightning.
It was $200 and its been....fine

Now, I am looking for a nicer one for the Lightning. Considering this is a more expensive, nicer truck than my last one I would like something that fits the truck, provides security for various cargo in the bed, and will last. Basically all the reasons for a Tonneau cover.

I've watched many YouTube videos on many different covers, read many different threads, but I still can not decide.

I believe I have it narrowed down to 2/3 covers.
Main "Wants":
  • Hard Cover
  • Folding or Retractable
  • Weatherproof isn't a "big" deal, everything sensitive will be in cases or totes. Any cover should provide the weather protection I want
  • Winter / Snow / Ice is not a concern for me (FL)
  • Option to store items on top of the cover is a very nice bonus. I could see throwing extra totes on top but without a track system / rack there is no where to tie it down.

Initial thought is that I want a retractable cover.
I really like:
RetraxONE XR and RetraxPRO XR for the track system, and being able to lock it at any position.
I do not have any cross bars so those items would be an additional cost. But I like the thought of being able to transport items on top if needed / use the track system in the future.
The downside of these / any retractable covers is loosing the bed space. I initially thought I would be okay with it, but as I look at more reviews and see the canister that is in the bed I don't like how it nearly covers up the cleats towards the bulkhead of the bed, I do use those a lot. However, I have thoughts about finding a tote that could fit under that space so I could still use some storage....but additional cost again.
1705944629213.png

To add more storage, while getting a retractable cover - I looked at the American Work Cover / jr from Truck Covers USA and I really LOVE the thought of having that waterproof toolbox for a charger, cables, adapters, straps, etc.
1705944659160.png

I "gain" that space since I lose bed space. I think I would use that storage more than the bed storage, I just can not justify that price because they are VERY expensive, and there is no track system. I also don't like having to use the strap inside to close it. That means I would have to drop the tailgate to close the cover. With the Retrax system I could open/close the cover without needing to open the tailgate.
Also for the price of that cover, I could look into the RSI Smart Cap for a totally different system even though I don't really want/need a cap. I just like the functionality and modular nature of it.

On the folding side, for the past year I have debated the BAKflip Mx4, which is incredibly recommended and seems to be the "go-to" for so many people. The price of folding covers is much easier to deal with. Instead of the BAKflip, I think I prefer the Leer HF650M - which is what I am leaning towards. I like how its 4 panels, but its really only "open or closed" I kinda wish I could just open 1 section and have it stay in place. I also do not like that I can't open the cover without lowering the tailgate, I could see that getting annoying over time - especially with the power tailgate.

Considering the price for a folding cover is lower when compared to retractable I could also probably justify the Builtright MOLLE bed panels and/or the under seat drawers from DeeZee. I have car seats and having that drawer would be great. Right now items are just under the seats and I can not easily access them. But I have concerns of noise with that system.

Folding options give me nearly the full bed, but I would lose any track system if I wanted to utilize "upper" storage. The downside to these systems are they are either open or closed, I've had a few times where an item doesn't fit under the cover, but I don't want to open the entire bed - just a portion of the bed.

The few times I do use the full length of my bed it would be nice to be able to easily remove the cover for a planned trip, or fold them out of the way for spontaneous pickups.
On the retractable side, removal is probably much more difficult for planned trips. However, spontaneous pickups wouldn't be a huge deal since I could just lower the tailgate.

I know there are many pros and cons to any cover.

Anyway,
I am hoping to get some more information from people on here who may have been in my position and help get the right information to buy the cover that I'll love and will use for a long time.
I also know there are a few sponsors that offer forum discounts so I figured I would gather more information before making a purchase.
Background: Used to no cover on a Ridgeline and had Rivians power folding one.

I went with Fords version of the Retrax Pro and I like it but don’t love it. Here are MY thoughts and opinions and I’m sure some will disagree.

Pros:
- Love being able to lock it and secure the entire bed.
- Cover seems durable and solid

Cons:
- Not all that weatherproof so kind of defeats part of the purpose.
- Drain tubes are a pain and keep dislodging
- Durability is a bit of a concern on the retracting mechanisms

Those are all relatively minor, but this last bit is important, especially coming from someone who is used to a 5’ bed and lived with a 4.5’ bed. The cover takes up way too much usable bed space.

Sure, you can slide some things underneath it, but overall it’s been a pain. On days I really need the bed length it sure feels silly to drive such a big truck and makes me wish I had a 6.5’ bed option.
Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I went with the Retrax Pro XR. I had a Bakflip tri-fold a on previous F-150 and while I loved the slick flush look of it in practical use it was horrible. The folding up was not that easy and propping it against the back window to carry a full load in the bed just sucked.

I almost went with the roll-up Backflip because it's cheaper than the Retrax but then I saw one rolled up on an F-150 and just didn't care for the way it looked when rolled up so I splurged on the Retrax.

The Pro XR is sturdy, almost too sturdy. It retracts pretty easily but can take a little bit of pull to get it back closed. With the height of the truck my wife couldn't do it easily. I love how it can be locked open in any position.

It does not leak during a normal or even heavy rain. If I push pressurized water into it like at a car wash then yes you will see some water inside, especially around the tailgate. I also installed it myself to make sure it was done right. (can't trust anyone these days)

It is close but does not cover up the BoxLink cleats at the front of the bed. I'm still able to completely unlock and remove mine.

I can open the cover or the tailgate individually. Nothing hits or gets in the way. Power tailgate works up and down.

I've had it about 6 months. No issues so far. I did use a forum sponsor to get a deal on it.

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
I got the husky rubber bed liner so I wouldn't...scratch my spray in bed liner.
Works great.
Good info. I actually think I'm leaning towards a bed rug now

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
I went with the Retrax Pro XR. I had a Bakflip tri-fold a on previous F-150 and while I loved the slick flush look of it in practical use it was horrible. The folding up was not that easy and propping it against the back window to carry a full load in the bed just sucked.

I almost went with the roll-up Backflip because it's cheaper than the Retrax but then I saw one rolled up on an F-150 and just didn't care for the way it looked when rolled up so I splurged on the Retrax.

The Pro XR is sturdy, almost too sturdy. It retracts pretty easily but can take a little bit of pull to get it back closed. With the height of the truck my wife couldn't do it easily. I love how it can be locked open in any position.

It does not leak during a normal or even heavy rain. If I push pressurized water into it like at a car wash then yes you will see some water inside, especially around the tailgate. I also installed it myself to make sure it was done right. (can't trust anyone these days)

It is close but does not cover up the BoxLink cleats at the front of the bed. I'm still able to completely unlock and remove mine.

I can open the cover or the tailgate individually. Nothing hits or gets in the way. Power tailgate works up and down.

I've had it about 6 months. No issues so far. I did use a forum sponsor to get a deal on it.
Thanks for the info. I was looking into the Paragon but I keep circling back to the Retrax.
I'm also thinking I don't want the Pro model, maybe the RetraxOne but I'm not sure.
I'm also leaning towards a BedRug also because that will work with my usage.

I keep flopping between BedRug and Leer or BedRug and Retrax.

Do you remember what price you were able to get ans what sponsor? That could be my deciding factor. You can PM if needed.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Good info. I actually think I'm leaning towards a bed rug now
I, too, contemplated that, but since I already have the spray in bed liner, all I really desired was something on the bottom surface.

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Bed rugs are really nice, make sure your cover is good as my Dad had those in his F150 all the time, one cover leaked and then because he wasn't in his bed much it was wet and musty in FL heat. He still got them but would proactively leave it open in garage to air out in summer. I haul a few dirty oily engine stuff at times so I didn't want to deal with spot cleaning a bed rub either.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Looks like the DualLiner isn't going to work with a Tonneau so that one is out.

How did you get the Husky mat for free?
My DualLiner worked fine with my Extang trifold.

Husky had a promo end of last year, buy mats get the bedmat free. Still waiting for it. Their current promo is $50 off.

Mike m

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2013 platinum lightning
I am sure this has been asked a 100 times already but is there any data on efficiency gains with a cover vs not. My truck is leased and I got the bed sprayed but debating on the cover.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am sure this has been asked a 100 times already but is there any data on efficiency gains with a cover vs not. My truck is leased and I got the bed sprayed but debating on the cover.
Google will yield your answer.

No. In fact, you may lose a hair. Mythbusters, ....

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I have been searching for the right Tonneau cover for about a year now, I know I want to go hard cover.
I have had a Tyger Tri-Fold since 2016. It was on my previous F-150 and now its on my lightning.
It was $200 and its been....fine

Now, I am looking for a nicer one for the Lightning. Considering this is a more expensive, nicer truck than my last one I would like something that fits the truck, provides security for various cargo in the bed, and will last. Basically all the reasons for a Tonneau cover.

I've watched many YouTube videos on many different covers, read many different threads, but I still can not decide.

I believe I have it narrowed down to 2/3 covers.
Main "Wants":
  • Hard Cover
  • Folding or Retractable
  • Weatherproof isn't a "big" deal, everything sensitive will be in cases or totes. Any cover should provide the weather protection I want
  • Winter / Snow / Ice is not a concern for me (FL)
  • Option to store items on top of the cover is a very nice bonus. I could see throwing extra totes on top but without a track system / rack there is no where to tie it down.

Initial thought is that I want a retractable cover.
I really like:
RetraxONE XR and RetraxPRO XR for the track system, and being able to lock it at any position.
I do not have any cross bars so those items would be an additional cost. But I like the thought of being able to transport items on top if needed / use the track system in the future.
The downside of these / any retractable covers is loosing the bed space. I initially thought I would be okay with it, but as I look at more reviews and see the canister that is in the bed I don't like how it nearly covers up the cleats towards the bulkhead of the bed, I do use those a lot. However, I have thoughts about finding a tote that could fit under that space so I could still use some storage....but additional cost again.
1705944629213.png

To add more storage, while getting a retractable cover - I looked at the American Work Cover / jr from Truck Covers USA and I really LOVE the thought of having that waterproof toolbox for a charger, cables, adapters, straps, etc.
1705944659160.png

I "gain" that space since I lose bed space. I think I would use that storage more than the bed storage, I just can not justify that price because they are VERY expensive, and there is no track system. I also don't like having to use the strap inside to close it. That means I would have to drop the tailgate to close the cover. With the Retrax system I could open/close the cover without needing to open the tailgate.
Also for the price of that cover, I could look into the RSI Smart Cap for a totally different system even though I don't really want/need a cap. I just like the functionality and modular nature of it.

On the folding side, for the past year I have debated the BAKflip Mx4, which is incredibly recommended and seems to be the "go-to" for so many people. The price of folding covers is much easier to deal with. Instead of the BAKflip, I think I prefer the Leer HF650M - which is what I am leaning towards. I like how its 4 panels, but its really only "open or closed" I kinda wish I could just open 1 section and have it stay in place. I also do not like that I can't open the cover without lowering the tailgate, I could see that getting annoying over time - especially with the power tailgate.

Considering the price for a folding cover is lower when compared to retractable I could also probably justify the Builtright MOLLE bed panels and/or the under seat drawers from DeeZee. I have car seats and having that drawer would be great. Right now items are just under the seats and I can not easily access them. But I have concerns of noise with that system.

Folding options give me nearly the full bed, but I would lose any track system if I wanted to utilize "upper" storage. The downside to these systems are they are either open or closed, I've had a few times where an item doesn't fit under the cover, but I don't want to open the entire bed - just a portion of the bed.

The few times I do use the full length of my bed it would be nice to be able to easily remove the cover for a planned trip, or fold them out of the way for spontaneous pickups.
On the retractable side, removal is probably much more difficult for planned trips. However, spontaneous pickups wouldn't be a huge deal since I could just lower the tailgate.

I know there are many pros and cons to any cover.

Anyway,
I am hoping to get some more information from people on here who may have been in my position and help get the right information to buy the cover that I'll love and will use for a long time.
I also know there are a few sponsors that offer forum discounts so I figured I would gather more information before making a purchase.
I am using the Bak Revolver X4S. Love this one. It securely locks into the instal rails, it is a hard cover with a vinyl skin. It locks really well, is mostly water proof (car wash is the only place I have seen a small amount of water). I have had zero issues in the last 2 years. Easy install, easy to use. I like it better than the folding styles as fully open, it sits below the back window, not blocking my view. I get much more room in the bed vs some of my friends with the Retrax. The only drawback is there is not really a way to partially open it, but there are a few things you can do to make that work.

Sponsored

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I have not seen much if any on efficiency gains. Lots of studies out there, many claim a bit on both sides. I just like the ability to close it and create a better storage. I keep my charging gear, tie downs and other stuff in a Storage Box.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I did my research and got a Peragon, which folds into the bed and blocks space. Having had a 6.5' bed in the past, I didn't realize the impact of losing that space. And, the Peragon rattles when open and you go over a bump, and didn't lock in like they said in partial positions. And could take no weight. So I sent it back.
I got a Peragon and I've liked it so far. Certainly can't take much weight on top of it, but you can remove it to gain the space back if you need it, and mine seems to lock into partial positions fine, although I've only done that once I think.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got a Peragon and I've liked it so far. Certainly can't take much weight on top of it, but you can remove it to gain the space back if you need it, and mine seems to lock into partial positions fine, although I've only done that once I think.
Put it in the 4 panel position, then step on the pedal or hit the brake. It moves. Go over a pothole and the panels you folded up rattle. And they make it look like taking it out and putting it back are easy peasy. Nope, got to line up the tiny hole from feet away, then push the other side back, hoping it pops in the hole, then if it doesn't get your fingers in there and play with the latch.

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It’s not technically a hard cover but is hard none the less. I have the BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover. It’s a roll up but has aluminum struts under the cover like a roll up garage door. It locks all along the full length of the sides so it’s pretty tamperproof.

For the bedliner I have a DualLiner. It’s has two tough plastic sides, rear, and lift gate cover. The bottom is a rubber mat which is easier on your needs and keeps things from sliding around.

I’d buy both again in an instant.

https://www.dualliner.com/2022-2023-ford-f-150-lightning-5ft-6in

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread IMG_8308

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
For anyone following, or the comes across this in the future.
I ended up ordering the Leer HF650M.
It seems to check nearly every item off my list of things I was looking for.
  • Hard Cover
  • Access to full bed if needed
  • Doesn't rest on the window/truck
  • Doesn't block the third brake light/camera
  • Good water protection
  • Can be used semi "open"
  • Lightweight
  • Easily removable if needed

Bonus things I thought of while researching which helped me make my decision
  • No drain tubes needed
  • Not a cable pull release
  • Not fully aluminum - it won't get crazy hot in the FL summer (hopefully, but we will see)

I also decided to finally redeem my FordPass points, and along with Ford's 10% off sale right now, I got a BedRug for my liner.

For my usage I think the BedRug will be great, and nearly every review - or person I've come across that has one LOVES it.

I'll probably post pictures or something on the Leer - BedRug - F150/Lightning combo since during my research there really wasn't that much information out there for this cover specifically.

Next thing I'll be researching and taking on is going to be some type of storage system for the bed.
I have seen the Swing Cases but I'm not sold on them yet.
I have a few ideas of what I would like and don't see any products offering that so I may have to come up with a diy or modified option.

Thank you everyone for the input, even though this question is asked ALL the time.
Sponsored