• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Yet another Tonneau cover thread

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
It’s not technically a hard cover but is hard none the less. I have the BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau Cover. It’s a roll up but has aluminum struts under the cover like a roll up garage door. It locks all along the full length of the sides so it’s pretty tamperproof.

For the bedliner I have a DualLiner. It’s has two tough plastic sides, rear, and lift gate cover. The bottom is a rubber mat which is easier on your needs and keeps things from sliding around.

I’d buy both again in an instant.

https://www.dualliner.com/2022-2023-ford-f-150-lightning-5ft-6in

IMG_8308.jpeg
Great info.

I hadn't considered the revolver, but after reading many recommendations I ended up having it on my short list of covers I was considering.
Made a pros and cons list for my usage and decided to try out the Leer.

I almost got the DualLiner, it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

But the 10% off and redeeming my FordPass points made the BedLiner much more affordable so I grabbed that also.
Sponsored

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I have been searching for the right Tonneau cover for about a year now, I know I want to go hard cover.
I have had a Tyger Tri-Fold since 2016. It was on my previous F-150 and now its on my lightning.
It was $200 and its been....fine

Now, I am looking for a nicer one for the Lightning. Considering this is a more expensive, nicer truck than my last one I would like something that fits the truck, provides security for various cargo in the bed, and will last. Basically all the reasons for a Tonneau cover.

I've watched many YouTube videos on many different covers, read many different threads, but I still can not decide.

I believe I have it narrowed down to 2/3 covers.
Main "Wants":
  • Hard Cover
  • Folding or Retractable
  • Weatherproof isn't a "big" deal, everything sensitive will be in cases or totes. Any cover should provide the weather protection I want
  • Winter / Snow / Ice is not a concern for me (FL)
  • Option to store items on top of the cover is a very nice bonus. I could see throwing extra totes on top but without a track system / rack there is no where to tie it down.

Initial thought is that I want a retractable cover.
I really like:
RetraxONE XR and RetraxPRO XR for the track system, and being able to lock it at any position.
I do not have any cross bars so those items would be an additional cost. But I like the thought of being able to transport items on top if needed / use the track system in the future.
The downside of these / any retractable covers is loosing the bed space. I initially thought I would be okay with it, but as I look at more reviews and see the canister that is in the bed I don't like how it nearly covers up the cleats towards the bulkhead of the bed, I do use those a lot. However, I have thoughts about finding a tote that could fit under that space so I could still use some storage....but additional cost again.
1705944629213.png

To add more storage, while getting a retractable cover - I looked at the American Work Cover / jr from Truck Covers USA and I really LOVE the thought of having that waterproof toolbox for a charger, cables, adapters, straps, etc.
1705944659160.png

I "gain" that space since I lose bed space. I think I would use that storage more than the bed storage, I just can not justify that price because they are VERY expensive, and there is no track system. I also don't like having to use the strap inside to close it. That means I would have to drop the tailgate to close the cover. With the Retrax system I could open/close the cover without needing to open the tailgate.
Also for the price of that cover, I could look into the RSI Smart Cap for a totally different system even though I don't really want/need a cap. I just like the functionality and modular nature of it.

On the folding side, for the past year I have debated the BAKflip Mx4, which is incredibly recommended and seems to be the "go-to" for so many people. The price of folding covers is much easier to deal with. Instead of the BAKflip, I think I prefer the Leer HF650M - which is what I am leaning towards. I like how its 4 panels, but its really only "open or closed" I kinda wish I could just open 1 section and have it stay in place. I also do not like that I can't open the cover without lowering the tailgate, I could see that getting annoying over time - especially with the power tailgate.

Considering the price for a folding cover is lower when compared to retractable I could also probably justify the Builtright MOLLE bed panels and/or the under seat drawers from DeeZee. I have car seats and having that drawer would be great. Right now items are just under the seats and I can not easily access them. But I have concerns of noise with that system.

Folding options give me nearly the full bed, but I would lose any track system if I wanted to utilize "upper" storage. The downside to these systems are they are either open or closed, I've had a few times where an item doesn't fit under the cover, but I don't want to open the entire bed - just a portion of the bed.

The few times I do use the full length of my bed it would be nice to be able to easily remove the cover for a planned trip, or fold them out of the way for spontaneous pickups.
On the retractable side, removal is probably much more difficult for planned trips. However, spontaneous pickups wouldn't be a huge deal since I could just lower the tailgate.

I know there are many pros and cons to any cover.

Anyway,
I am hoping to get some more information from people on here who may have been in my position and help get the right information to buy the cover that I'll love and will use for a long time.
I also know there are a few sponsors that offer forum discounts so I figured I would gather more information before making a purchase.
I have the retraxpro one and fucking love. It looks so good on the truck it was fairly easy to install between my father and law and I. I don’t have extensive use for long and tall things in the bed so I haven’t found the loss of space to be a problem at all which was a worry of mine initially. I throw my surfboards in, my dogs crate, strollers etc and all works super well and I didn’t even add the rain drain tubes as it keeps everything super dry without them and and truck beds drains well on its own if I retract with water on the cover. I like the add on capabilities too but I’m not there yet. I figured I would pay the premium price for something that’s gonna last 10 years plus and I believe it has a great warranty too.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Cons:
- Not all that weatherproof so kind of defeats part of the purpose.
- Drain tubes are a pain and keep dislodging

I would definitely look over the installation. I installed mine, by myself, in a hotel parking lot (long story) and haven't had any issues.

Granted, I have the Retrax model and not the Ford version (if there's any difference at all) and I don't think I've ever seen any water in the bed, even after pressure washing it (I watch where I spray around the edges, but even so).

If it's not seated properly then, yes, it will leak.

I would also look at how they installed the tubes. I ordered a new set of drain plugs for the bed, drilled holes that were a smidge smaller than the tubes, so that the tubes are held in place by the plugs.

If they drilled oversized holes and didn't put on a hose clamp/barb at the outlet of the "cassette" then, yeah, they'll probably vibrate loose over time.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I would definitely look over the installation. I installed mine, by myself, in a hotel parking lot (long story) and haven't had any issues.

Granted, I have the Retrax model and not the Ford version (if there's any difference at all) and I don't think I've ever seen any water in the bed, even after pressure washing it (I watch where I spray around the edges, but even so).

If it's not seated properly then, yes, it will leak.

I would also look at how they installed the tubes. I ordered a new set of drain plugs for the bed, drilled holes that were a smidge smaller than the tubes, so that the tubes are held in place by the plugs.

If they drilled oversized holes and didn't put on a hose clamp/barb at the outlet of the "cassette" then, yeah, they'll probably vibrate loose over time.
I installed it….could be installation error.

I have it pitched away from the bed, I’m finding it leaks at the front and back, not the sides or through the slats. We’re not talking drenched more than half the bed stays dry.

The tubes went into the holes of the supplied plugs, which are way too big, it’s popped out once or twice but the tube is long enough to keep it inside for the most part. I’m having more of an issue where the tube becomes separated at the top. The plastic insert isn’t holding it tight enough and ends up coming off the canister. I can likely add silicone to seal it up but just too lazy to do so thus far.

It’s not a whole ton, but compared to my R1T, I could trust that to keep it sealed and dry…I just couldn’t trust it to keep operating lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Those are very nice looking, and a serious competitor to the Retrax one's. However, I think I want to stay away from powered retractable ones. I don't feel like running wires, and for my usage with the truck bed - I have no problem manually opening a cover.

I have the retraxpro one and fucking love. It looks so good on the truck it was fairly easy to install between my father and law and I. I don’t have extensive use for long and tall things in the bed so I haven’t found the loss of space to be a problem at all which was a worry of mine initially. I throw my surfboards in, my dogs crate, strollers etc and all works super well and I didn’t even add the rain drain tubes as it keeps everything super dry without them and and truck beds drains well on its own if I retract with water on the cover. I like the add on capabilities too but I’m not there yet. I figured I would pay the premium price for something that’s gonna last 10 years plus and I believe it has a great warranty too.
I decided to go with the Leer / a Folding hard cover. I just couldn't justify the extra $1000 for a cover that was more "permanent" than the folding one. Over the next few years I will determine how often I use the bed space taken up by a retractable cover. If I have any problems, or am unhappy with the folding cover - I'll then know what I want for my next one.

I kept thinking about looking down at the 2 covers.
Hard folding with $1000 cash - or RetraxPRO.

I went with the option to save some money.
But as I continue to own this truck and my usage of it changes I'll be keeping in mind the bed space and seeing if I want to upgrade to the Retrax. The lifetime warranty is really nice so I know if I do upgrade down the road I'll be going that route.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I just used my tri-fold Hard tonno last night to move some furniture - easily folded and removed the whole tonno, and set it down within the bed, making room for the 'long' furniture.. it's not too heavy, easy to handle, and actually folds from either the tailgate, OR from the front... with an included knob/lock on the front 1/3... I've used this tonno to create a Camping TENT, also... folding up both 'ends' to create the 'T-PEE' effect in the middle, covering it with a large tarp... this allows the tailgate to be down, and the area of the bed near the cab to have 'head room'... I ran a fan overnight, watched some 'tv' on the laptop from my mediacom 'xtreme' online account from my home, and even had the mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster available for 'supper/snacks'...
Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread TENT camping Cotton Hill c

extang Encore Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover 62702

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1706107155712

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1706107279435

and the FULL BedRug bedliner makes for a nice, comfortable place to 'rest'... take a few pillows and a sheet/blanket and you've got it made ! (don't tell my wife!)

CastilloTRUCKER

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD F150 LIGHTNING

I've got the retrax as well and I loved it, had retrax before and will always get retrax. I opt out with the RETRAXPRO XR which is an aluminum with t-slot rails I super love it.

I got mine from tonneaucovered.com - pretty sleek and great pricing I saved more $350 than local stores :)

CastilloTRUCKER

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD F150 LIGHTNING
I just used my tri-fold Hard tonno last night to move some furniture - easily folded and removed the whole tonno, and set it down within the bed, making room for the 'long' furniture.. it's not too heavy, easy to handle, and actually folds from either the tailgate, OR from the front... with an included knob/lock on the front 1/3... I've used this tonno to create a Camping TENT, also... folding up both 'ends' to create the 'T-PEE' effect in the middle, covering it with a large tarp... this allows the tailgate to be down, and the area of the bed near the cab to have 'head room'... I ran a fan overnight, watched some 'tv' on the laptop from my mediacom 'xtreme' online account from my home, and even had the mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster available for 'supper/snacks'...
TENT camping Cotton Hill cg.jpg

extang Encore Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover 62702

1706107155712.png

1706107279435.png

and the FULL BedRug bedliner makes for a nice, comfortable place to 'rest'... take a few pillows and a sheet/blanket and you've got it made ! (don't tell my wife!)
This was one of the covers I researched online sadly it's discontinued but hey happy with my retrax cover though

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
For anyone that was following.
After waiting a month since the cover was on back order - I finally received the cover.
I went with the Leer HF650M.
I like that it folds up without touching the glass, and without blocking the rear camera.
I was also surprised, and happy, that it came branded with Ford, not Leer so I have a very stock look. I don't like brands or stickers on the outside of my vehicle - I am not an advertiser for you.

Anyway, I also went with the BedRug through Ford's parts website (only difference is its Ford branding not BedRug)

So far I am very happy with the combo.

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1709662217009

Ford F-150 Lightning Yet another Tonneau cover thread 1709662273038

Sponsored

InTheCloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Which tonneau covers of those listed won't interfere with the tailgate dropping down? By that I mean, if you were to have the tonneau cover in place, can you use the power tailgate without having to interact with (I.e. "push down" or lift on) the tonneau cover?

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
For anyone that was following.
After waiting a month since the cover was on back order - I finally received the cover.
I went with the Leer HF650M.
I like that it folds up without touching the glass, and without blocking the rear camera.
I was also surprised, and happy, that it came branded with Ford, not Leer so I have a very stock look. I don't like brands or stickers on the outside of my vehicle - I am not an advertiser for you.

Anyway, I also went with the BedRug through Ford's parts website (only difference is its Ford branding not BedRug)

So far I am very happy with the combo.
That HF650M looks great and I think that is what I will go with. Thank you for posting the pics and your opinions on it. I just need to find a good price on one now. The lowest I could find currently is around $1100 plus tax. The Ford branded version was several hundred more on the Ford accessories site, but only comes out to a little more than the non-branded version if you use a 20% off coupon. I'll keep looking for that good price. If anyone has any specific vendors that give a decent discount for forum members then please let me know.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Which tonneau covers of those listed won't interfere with the tailgate dropping down? By that I mean, if you were to have the tonneau cover in place, can you use the power tailgate without having to interact with (I.e. "push down" or lift on) the tonneau cover?
I have the Undercover Flex I got from @Realtruck . It does not interfere with tailgate operation.

BTW, if anyone near me is interested, I’ll be selling my original Flex that has a few hail dents in it. They’re barely noticeable. Insurance is replacing mine.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 23 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
That is true, but very lite and easy to remove. It's fun to look for sure, I did almost go Leer and also diamond back. This is flush and leaves my stake pockets open to add an additional rack above the cover. My wife wants me to build a snoopy house above the bed cover with him flying it next year for Christmas and light it up with the truck outlets, so my requirements are different lol.
I have the BAKflip MX4 on my Lightning. Looks nice, but that's where it ends, leaks water in and I personally don't recommend it to anyone who asks about it. Planning on a warranty submission when the weather warms a bit.
I had an MX4 on my '20 STX. It was fine. It leaked in around the panel by the gate. I would assume most do. I installed a Lomax Hard Fold cover and so far, alot of rain, no water. I switched because the Lomax is simple to remove the whole thing and even more simple to detach the cover for full bed access.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Put it in the 4 panel position, then step on the pedal or hit the brake. It moves. Go over a pothole and the panels you folded up rattle. And they make it look like taking it out and putting it back are easy peasy. Nope, got to line up the tiny hole from feet away, then push the other side back, hoping it pops in the hole, then if it doesn't get your fingers in there and play with the latch.
I know I'm a bit slow responding to this, but would just like to say I have the Peragon tonneau. I don't have any issues with my Paragon moving when locked in partial positions. But yes, the folded panels do rattle. Removing it isn't so bad, just fold it up, strap it and it lifts out pretty easily. As easy as any other cover solution I've had other than simple roll-ups. Putting it back in is quick for me too, so no complaints there and I don't find it hard to line it up, it just kinda drops right in. I do have a bit of sagging or visible bowing in the panel that resides up against the tailgate. Seems to be losing a battle against gravity and the combined forces of occasional snow and such. If it gets any more noticeable I'll straighten it and add an additional support rod if I can. I've given this feedback to Peragon -- they have acknowledged and are also looking into solutions as I'm not the only one with this complaint of the sagging on the end panel or two.

15 months with my truck now and the Peragon tonneau - HDXL model - has been on the whole time. All things considered, I'm still happy with it, but also see several areas for improvement. If I were to buy another truck today and put a tonneau cover on it, I may go with the Peragon again, but would definitely shop around my options and see if anything else looks worth a try.
Sponsored