• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Your 'Connected' Car May Be Transmitting Your Driving Data to Insurance Companies

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
That's what I thought too, but I didn't see any of the charging related stuff in fordpass-ha. I set it up and looked at the data from my truck and it's exactly what's listed on the Github page, and nothing more. Not sure where any of that other data in the charts came from, which is why I had assumed it was from the charger.
In the photo he shared of the stats in HomeAssistant

The "Range" sensor is probably the 'fordpass_elVeh' sensor just renamed for his dashboard
and the "EV Charger" sensor is probably the 'fordpass_elVehCharging' sensor - also renamed.
Sponsored

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
In the photo he shared of the stats in HomeAssistant

The "Range" sensor is probably the 'fordpass_elVeh' sensor just renamed for his dashboard
and the "EV Charger" sensor is probably the 'fordpass_elVehCharging' sensor - also renamed.
Ahh ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this now. Never used HA before, but I see what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip.
Ford F-150 Lightning Your 'Connected' Car May Be Transmitting Your Driving Data to Insurance Companies 1711081738045-zl

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Well my Lexisnexis report came to me today with all the information they have on me. And I was pretty bored reading it. Every address I've lived at, all of the cars and houses I've owned and what insurance I had on it. Who else is on my policy. Phone numbers ive had. And other misc info. But nothing about driving records given to them by Ford. So this is the big nothing burger. I'm glad it's nothing and I've verified it for myself.
Same here, got mine yesterday. 74 pages. Lots of same info over and over from different sources (name, phone numbers, addresses, etc.) In car insurance risk section it had my son's accident last December. But that was it. Definitely no Ford-specific information.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Same here, got mine yesterday. 74 pages. Lots of same info over and over from different sources (name, phone numbers, addresses, etc.) In car insurance risk section it had my son's accident last December. But that was it. Definitely no Ford-specific information.
And the follow-up questions to Ford posted on the subreddit pretty confidently confirm that Ford is not sharing that information. Sounds like that original Reddit post got deleted because he was lying.

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Same here, pretty boring stuff. Had every address I ever lived at, the house I used to own, some car insurance claims and that's about it.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Just got my 100 pages of every major purchase/residence/vehicle/all credit extensions in my entire life all summarized and sold to various unknown entities but what's the big deal... *shrug*

/s

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Just got my 100 pages of every major purchase/residence/vehicle/all credit extensions in my entire life all summarized and sold to various unknown entities but what's the big deal... *shrug*

/s
Your self inflicted annoyance is misplaced. Nobody is saying it's wonderful that LexisNexis has all that information. The entire point is that they DO NOT have the one thing this 7 page topic is actually about: Driving data.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your self inflicted annoyance is misplaced. Nobody is saying it's wonderful that LexisNexis has all that information. The entire point is that they DO NOT have the one thing this 7 page topic is actually about: Driving data.
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep comfortably at night. I find it bizarre, and your response underscores my point, that upon discovering an entity has collected highly sensitive, personal information about you and is apparently selling it around the globe to whomever they choose, that you only care about "one thing" so the whole conversation is either pointless, boring, or whatever...anything other than alarming or concerning.

When people come here and to reddit to post what a big "nothingburger" this was and calling for members to be banned for "making things up," "lying," or whatever then those members don't appear to be taking their personal data particularly seriously to me regardless of how confident you feel speaking on behalf of everyone.

Last edited:
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT SR Avalanche
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep comfortably at night. I find it bizarre, and your response underscores my point, that upon discovering an entity has collected highly sensitive, personal information about you and is apparently selling it around the globe to whomever they choose, that you only care about "one thing" so the whole conversation is either pointless, boring, or whatever...anything other than alarming or concerning.

When people come here and to reddit to post what a big "nothingburger" this was and calling for members to be banned for "making things up," "lying," or whatever then those members don't appear to be taking their personal data particularly seriously to me regardless of how confident you feel speaking on behalf of everyone.
I mean, no offense, but your personal data is basically aggregated all over the web. The point was the issue brought forward was "Ford is selling our driving habits, and raising insurance rates". That's been proven false, so those guys that say it's true either don't understand how insurance opt in works, or their lying.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Nobody is saying any of that. You're getting alarmed over a topic that isn't this topic. Then accusing people of not being mad about a topic that isn't this topic. If you want to start a thread about big data, data mining, and the industry of obtaining and selling information, go ahead. I'm sure most people despise it as much as you do, myself included.

But since you're accusing me personally of things that I have neither said nor believe, I'll address your false accusations. First of all, I do care and dislike it. Second of all, I literally pay money to mitigate large swaths of that information, including from LexisNexis, as much as I reasonably can. Third, this is the way everything works and it is virtually impossible to escape without significant loss of daily life conveniences we're all accustom to. So control your outrage if you're not planning to live off-grid and off-net.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You make a lot of grand proclamations.

People are saying those things--they're direct quotes of posts in this thread so that's just BS.

I'm not outraged at anything, and certainly haven't accused you, or anyone else, of anything at all. I made a comment in a public forum in a non-exclusive thread and if you can't stand someone posting an observation you're welcome to disregard the post. You can ignore it, you can quote it, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it, bud...knock yourself out.
Sponsored