• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is 320 miles on ER possible? Not seeing it in the math...

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
320 mile EPA range for ER / 131 kWh pack = 2.44 mi/kWh efficiency needed to get to 320 mile range

With 1-pedal in use 100% of the time I personally haven't seen anything over 2.2 mi/kWh with mixed hwy/city driving and hwy speeds of 70-75. Average over 700 total miles is 1.9, but I'm regularly getting 2.0+ now. From the forum it would seem 2.0 is "normal" for the early reporters. Early on there was definitely some "fun pedal" moments, but at this point it's just being driven normally.

2.0 - 2.2 produces a range of 262 - 288.2. Pretty significant reduction from EPA.

What's everyone else seeing? Is this climbing over time as more miles are added?
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
320 mile EPA range for ER / 131 kWh pack = 2.44 mi/kWh efficiency needed to get to 320 mile range

With 1-pedal in use 100% of the time I personally haven't seen anything over 2.2 mi/kWh with mixed hwy/city driving and hwy speeds of 70-75.

2.0 - 2.2 produces a range of 262 - 288.2. Pretty significant reduction from EPA.

What's everyone else seeing? Is this climbing over time as more miles are added?
And so it begins..as always YMMV.

TBH...2.0-2.2 is about what I would expect given your mixed driving scenario and 70-75mph highway speeds. I'd expect a solid 1.9-2.0 at mostly highway 70mph.

Also keep in mind due to high temperatures in TX you are probably using A/C quite a bit. That is going to ding your mileage also.

Your efficiency sounds normal to me based on what I've seen from user reports and other media reviews.

If you drive highway I would suggest you try driving with 1-pedal off so you can coast..with Ford having a blended braking system its really not needed and at highway speeds could *possibly* be less efficient if you're not paying attention.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Coincidentally, another thread is reporting their first road trip over here and achieved around 2.38

That post is also telling of your questions here, as that post also lists the many other relevant variables (aside from air conditioning use) such as ambient temps, wind speeds (or lack thereof), elevation change, tire pressures, wheel size, etc.

I’m no expert at this, in fact a newbie, but at the efficiency margins (eg the difference between achieving 2.2 vs 2.4) these little variable make all the difference.

Notably, they *also* make all the difference in an ICE vehicle, but ubiquitous refuel stations has us not interested in the margins.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
See how far it will go at a constant 35 mph. Now that there is an InsideEVs 70 mph range test, a 35 mph would be a great reference.
Agreed - slower speeds = more range.

Yes, it's possible to get more than the EPA range if driven like I do.

I have been getting 3-3.5 mi/kWh on my Lariat - when fully charged, it now displays obout 10% more range than the window sticker.

Hypermiling this truck is fun - so far I have tried: no climate controls, gentle accelerations, coasting a lot, light braking, 1PD off, and keeping speeds under 50MPH driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Reminds me of the early days when Prius window stickers showed higher MPGe with city driving vs highway driving.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coincidentally, another thread is reporting their first road trip over here and achieved around 2.38

That post is also telling of your questions here, as that post also lists the many other relevant variables (aside from air conditioning use) such as ambient temps, wind speeds (or lack thereof), elevation change, tire pressures, wheel size, etc.

I’m no expert at this, in fact a newbie, but at the efficiency margins (eg the difference between achieving 2.2 vs 2.4) these little variable make all the difference.

Notably, they *also* make all the difference in an ICE vehicle, but ubiquitous refuel stations has us not interested in the margins.
To be fair, in the EV marketplace it would seem like we will get a wider variance in range/efficiency with the Lightning when compared to SUVs/Crossovers (Tesla, Ioniq 5, etc). The lightning has a wide range of user profiles and use cases. Also the wind resistance is the biggest factor causing the spread related to speed to be huge--much more than a slippery sedan/crossover.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
To be fair, in the EV marketplace it would seem like we will get a wider variance in range/efficiency with the Lightning when compared to SUVs/Crossovers (Tesla, Ioniq 5, etc). The lightning has a wide range of user profiles and use cases. Also the wind resistance is the biggest factor causing the spread related to speed to be huge--much more than a slippery sedan/crossover.
I think it is due to shoving a brick through the air, which makes the drag more susceptible to wind and ambient temp.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
For sure. I don’t tow, and 95% of my driving will be sub-45mph around-town driving with single pedal - seemingly ideal conditions for getting near that EPA rating. I just did a 20 minute/8.3m trip to Lowes and the dumb-puter purports 3.1kWh

Coming from an ice vehicle mentality, it’s hard to reverse polarity of thinking of highway driving being the more inefficient driving scenario, and so counterproductively getting potentially the lowest range when you want to achieve the highest range for the driving distance goals.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
3k miles in, I am getting 2.3 mi/kWh at 70-80 mph, some WOT? Pulls, over 90 a couple of times, mostly Highway, about 95%, mixture of Hills and flat roads, elevation increase and decrease, wind/heat with AC at full blast.

All 1 pedal driving, maybe I’ll turn it off and see how I do… hmmmm

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For sure. I don’t tow, and 95% of my driving will be sub-45mph around-town driving with single pedal - seemingly ideal conditions for getting near that EPA rating. I just did a 20 minute/8.3m trip to Lowes and the dumb-puter purports 3.1kWh

Coming from an ice vehicle mentality, it’s hard to reverse polarity of thinking of highway driving being the more inefficient driving scenario, and so counterproductively getting potentially the lowest range when you want to achieve the highest range for the driving distance goals.

Then..just wait for winter. We'll get comparisons of New England to Florida.

I don't think its unreal that we will see a range of 1.5mi al the way to 3.0mi/Kw depending upon situation. That would be non-towing. Towing or heavy loads would add a whole new dimension...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Then..just wait for winter. We'll get comparisons of New England to Florida.

I don't think its unreal that we will see a range of 1.5mi al the way to 3.0mi/Kw depending upon situation. That would be non-towing. Towing or heavy loads would add a whole new dimension...
I would bet we see below 1mi/kWhr in the Northern states if you go for a short drive and don't precondition. I have gotten down to 1.4 in our Mach-e (goes back up to ~2.2 on longer drives in the cold once it gets warmed up).

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Remember that 320 mile rating isn't only highway, and the EPA highway rating isn't at 70-80mph.

Overall I am impressed with the efficiency I'm getting, though being July, the truck is really in its element right now. I think the higher HVAC tradeoff for higher temperatures is almost always going to pan out. The hotter it is, the thinner the air is, and the better the efficiency at highway speeds. Some of my best EV efficiency has been with temps in the 90s, and that.

One wildcard is that people generally don't need to care (and don't actually care) about around town range/efficiency since you rarely drive enough around town to come close to needing a full charge. Those around town numbers can actually be pretty good - often better than 2.4mi/kwh. Most really only care and pay attention when they're taking a long trip which is mostly highway miles.

I have not reset my trip 1 or trip 2 odometers. I plan to leave trip 1 as my "lifetime average" and trip 2 I'll reset periodically, perhaps to track changes to efficiency after different mods. FWIW I have just over 1,100 miles on the truck, of which probably 70% are highway at 70-80mph, and my overall average is 2.0mi/kwh.

With a brand new truck having brand new tires, also expect to take a few percent off as they break in.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
3k miles in, I am getting 2.3 mi/kWh at 70-80 mph, some WOT? Pulls, over 90 a couple of times, mostly Highway, about 95%, mixture of Hills and flat roads, elevation increase and decrease, wind/heat with AC at full blast.

All 1 pedal driving, maybe I’ll turn it off and see how I do… hmmmm
2.3 is impressive. I have about 3k miles on and average 2.0 in my 35 mile commute, half at 65 and half at 75 mph. Always at least one pedal stomp to make me smile.
Sponsored