• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No real surprises here, though between this and other tests, the Lightning takes a bigger hit at higher speeds than other EVs (being a big brick and all that). I was hoping for an extra ~20-30 minutes of highway travel vs. our Mach-e GT (270 vs. 320 EPA), but it seems like it will be only 10-15 minutes, and basically a wash if we are traveling 75mph or above.

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (coming soon)
I must drive like an asshole because my ER 100% charge estimate is only 250 miles.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Nothing earth shattering but good info easily absorbed in visual form. (I'm a graphs sort of guy).

It is good to know about the 10min surge...so the A-B-C rule is in effect. 10min stop to use the bathroom...plug it in for a top up. 15min to grab fast food..plug it in., etc. With multiple 10min "boost" opportunities those can add up. Also with essentially a flat curve all the way to 75-80%..no need to charger hop like you do on some other EVs. Just plug it in and deep charge as much as time allows(under 80%).

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The 2nd gen Lightning is going to blow this truck away as far as range and everything else battery related. Who knows if the overall value will be better though. I am sure that being built from the ground up to be an EV is going to help it out tremendously.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The 2nd gen Lightning is going to blow this truck away as far as range and everything else battery related. Who knows if the overall value will be better though. I am sure that being built from the ground up to be an EV is going to help it out tremendously.
To be honest I'm not so sure. The Lightning is competitive with the Rivian(ground up design) in many ways..range, dynamics, etc. My opinion is a "ground up" design isn't as advantageous as many think it is. Leave the design alone....spend money in putting the best battery/drivetrain you can.

If this were a ground up design I can see the price being significantly higher for minimal benefit.

Everyone touts ground up, but there are certain benefits to using an ICE platform-- interoperability of parts, lower cost, lower R&D, accelerated development timeline, brand/model loyalty, available accessories/add ons, etc

Last edited:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
reset it.

First few weeks of ownership and you flooring at every light is carrying forward.
From an EV standpoint, I'm 10 years and 350,000 miles in ... when does flooring it at every light stop again? (My lifetime Model S energy usage was 15% higher on average than EPA rated... I just can't hypermile!)

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Curious as to why do you say this? The batteries and charging for Gen 1 aren't optimized?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Curious as to why do you say this? The batteries and charging for Gen 1 aren't optimized?
https://www.motor1.com/news/582926/ford-next-electric-truck-aero-range/amp/

This could mean a couple of things, 1) The 2nd gen Lightning wont be part of the F-150 Series and go off on its own or 2) This truck will be it’s own truck and the F-150 Lightning will continue in its current form. Two different EV Trucks with different designs.

IMO, I think it’ll be #1.

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
I see down the line the gen 1 having serious desirability for after market mods. Being frame based, can swap bodies and do all sorts of custom things. At some point there will be a battery swap available and relatively (compared to gen 2 unibody) easy against tight packaged EV specific vehicles (Silverado, ram, etc).
I kinda want to hang on for long time for that reason.
also kind of want to hit the lottery and swap an expedition body onto this and get the third row so wife is happier.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think the second gen will migrate to LFP batteries at least for the SR battery where there is room to fit the lower energy density battery. The battery will be less expensive, have lower rate of power output so a higher 0-60 mph time, and maybe will not work as well in colder climates. This will be driven by the very higher cost of obtaining Cobalt and Maganese vs Iron and Phosphorous. But the batteries should be safer as well as less pyrophoric igniting when exposed to air. Due to density considerations I think the ER batteries will still use NMC like we have now.
Sponsored