• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Both were charged to 100%, after running ~245 miles, the conclusion:

R1T: 2.46m/kWh, 100kWh used, real world range 315-320 miles.
Lightning: 2.0m/kWh, 123kWh used, real world range 250-255miles.

Lightning uses 20-25% more energy than R1T, probably due its size and box shape.

I did not watch the full video but I believe we can achieve better range, especially for local driving.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I like and trust Alex's content, but the Rivian's 2.46 mi/kWh figure is way higher than I've seen with other tests, even accounting for differences in wheels/tires.

There has to be some systemic systematic error in the way that the Rivian was calculating efficiency. Alternatively it's possible that recent software updates have improved efficiency in the Rivian.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I like and trust Alex's content, but the Rivian's 2.46 mi/kWh figure is way higher than I've seen with other tests, even accounting for differences in wheels/tires.
Supposedly, Lightning should have better MPGe in city, and slightly worse if you are not driving more than 70mph.

His results sound a little different.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
probably due its size and box shape.
Do we have data on these two vehicles' respective drag coefficients?

I've only ever driven next to a Rivian and seen the back of one parked back when they weren't available to the public but I'm hard pressed to believe there is that much difference between the two body styles.

That said, if the body style *does* dictate that much greater efficiency then bolstering the F150s should be a breeze with minor body panel mods--because, again, to my untrained eyes they don't appear to be drastically different in shape/size.

Sponsored

BluePAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you notice in the video the Lightning was in front the whole time. Punching a nice big hole in the air for the Rivian. This test was pretty flawed. I typically like Alex but his whole lightning v rivian series is pretty bad. (See when he said the rivian had better/more practical storage)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
More fundamentally, this “test” is contrary to all the real-world data of owners here getting far better than 2.0 mi/kWh

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
My personal experience on my ER Lariat - and what others are shared plenty of times across these forums. Over 1000 miles of high driving for my self and I've seen 2.1-2.2 doing about 72 on average. 2.0 seems a little low.. but this is a platinum so maybe that is more normal.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Alex did a comp on phantom drain between the two as well. Unless both of these do 70 mph 24/7, Lightning comes ahead on my weekly mile/KWh. I rather be a little more inefficient at highway speed than leak electrons going nowhere.

1.9 (L) vs 2.15 (R) here (min 22:44):

Last edited:

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Most commentary I see on rivian suggests a lot better highway range. This is totally expected. It's a smaller truck. Ymmv based on configs of both trucks.

Here's a recent rivian range test:

He got 340 miles out of a single change going 70mph.

He ended up doing two tests, because it was doing so well.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I trust these testers more:
https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/
R1T - 254 miles
Lightning - 270 miles

You trust the test because you may be biased for Lightning :)

You need to look @ the conditions of each test. Tom explicitly notes in his R1T range test it was a "windy day in New Jersey." Lightning test was " warm day in July in very good conditions"

R1T was also on AT tires. Rivian notes a 40 mile penalty when using those wheels.

Despite the penalty, Kyle from Out of Spec did the same test w/ the AT tires and got 290 miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Platinum vs R1T Range test by Alex's EV Buyers Guide 1662630790434

Guy who got 340 miles on more efficient 22" Sport tires.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Platinum vs R1T Range test by Alex's EV Buyers Guide 1662630837619

Time is longer because he was parked and the trip meter continues.

EV Buyers Guide (same as OP) in his OG test did 340 miles in his rivian with the most efficient tires:

This isn't a 70 mph range test, but it's a simulated road trip. Conditions: " In an attempt to make things as repeatable as possible, we set the cruise control to 62 MPH in 55 MPH zones, 72 MPH in 65 MPH zones and 75 MPH in 70 MPH zones." - https://alexonautos.com/ev-buyers-guide/the-aoa-road-trip-range-test-procedure-how-its-all-done/

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Guy who got 340 miles on more efficient 22" Sport tires.
That's the first time I've seen the Platinum's wheel/tire combo referred to as 'more efficient'. :) There's probably some offset to the Rivian's AT tires with the 22s.

I wish Alex had used his Lariat for the test.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
That's the first time I've seen the Platinum's wheel/tire combo referred to as 'more efficient'.
This was in reference to the Rivian 22s which are more efficient than their AT which are more common for range tests.

Rivian's tires from least to most efficient:

20" AT - 40 mile loss (314 > 274)
22" Sport - 21 mile loss (314 > 294)
21" Road - EPA @ 314

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Alex is usually better than this. The Rivian would probably still win, but he pitted the most efficient R1T against the least efficient Lightning. And to make it fair, he should have had the vehicles switch positions after the half way point.
Sponsored