• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
Lots of conflicting reports on this one. I did read the 511A thread, where someone posted a form letter that their dealer gave them. Quote below

" Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is projected to be available late 2023, however due to the global semiconductor chip shortage and supply chain constraints, this timing could be extended; and • I will be contacted when Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is available, and my dealer will install Heated Steering Wheel Functionality at no additional cost to me. "

I'm picking up my Lariat ER tomorrow, and of course the Heated Wheel is deleted. The dealer, which has been great through this confused process, doesn't believe that the wheel can be retrofitted in the field after delivery nor has Ford provided any clarity to them regarding this.

But other members of this forum have been told that it will happen as in the quoted text above.

I've seen numerous reports of customers being told it will be installed later, as well as some Ford Letterhead dealer notes circulating around the interwebs saying the same thing.

Is there any definitive or at least reproduceable answer to this issue that any one has seen?
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I don’t think anybody knows for sure but if Ford corporate says it can be retrofitted and a local dealer says it can’t I’m going to believe Ford. I think the steering wheel and the column have the heating element and all of the connections and the missing part is a switch module that plugs in somewhere under the dash that they cannot source right now. I’m hoping that someone with access to the service manuals will post a diagram of the components that make up the heated steering so we can look for the missing piece.

OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, thanks. I did some research, and in our Mach E, the controller is under the dash, and is a CAN-Bus controller that also controls some other heated elements.

Not sure if the Lightning uses the same controller......

Stands to reason it can be retrofitted in the field, but I would understand if its the wheel itself, that is a bit more involved, airbags, alignment, etc.

Maybe my dealer will dig into it and get some clarification on it.

Sucks actually, as its a great feature for us in colder climates

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Sucks actually, as its a great feature for us in colder climates
It's also a great feature for us living in hot desert climates. Probably more useful than heated seats. My MME heated steering wheel in MME is always on in December through February.

tjphillips36

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Occupation
Ford Parts
This is the announcement from Ford, which basically says yes it will be a function that is retrofitted in the future.

INFORMATION
Product Offering Changes: 23MY F-150 Lightning Heated Steering Wheel Functionality Disabled

ACTION REQUESTED

• Due to the supply chain constraints, customers taking delivery of 23MY F-150 Lightning trucks including Heated Steering Wheel must be informed that certain 23MY F-150 Lightning trucks will not be equipped with Heated Steering Wheel at time of Purchase.
  • Ford will be announcing a Field Service Action (FSA) in the future to restore Heated Steering Wheel functionality. At this time, we do not have an ETA on when the FSA will be available.
  • Removal of Heated Steering Wheel has occurred on all impacted orders automatically.
  • The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of affected vehicles has been reduced by $50 for the inconvenience of not having this feature at time of delivery, the adjustment will be reflected on the window label.
  • Customers taking delivery of 23MY F-150 Lightning vehicles that include Heated Steering Wheel must sign the attached Acknowledgement Form to acknowledge their understanding that the vehicle is not equipped with the feature(s) identified and that they understand an FSA will be announced in the future to return Heated Steering Wheel functionality.
  • Upon receiving this message, dealers should communicate with retail and fleet customers regarding changes required to their orders. All scheduled and unscheduled, retail and fleet orders have been amended as of October 14th, 2022.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you!!! Assume by your signature that you were one of the lucky ones who has access to this info. My dealer, who's been great, has had a challenge finding this, even though they've heard that this memo had circulated....

Thanks again!!! Gives my hands something to look forward to!

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Part of what is confusing the dealers is that there are two separate memos. One covering Ford F-150 indicating that they are removing heated steering wheels across the model lineup and giving a $140 MSRP credit for the removal with NO RETROFIT available. There is a separate memo specific to F-150 Lightning indicating that says it WILL be available for retrofit but with only a $50 MSRP credit for the inconvenience, however when my Lightning was built it reflects the $140 credit.

The memo from Ford doesn't indicate that some Lightnings may have them removed completely. I'm hoping that the $140 credit was just an error and isn't indicative of full removal, but my dealer wasn't sure and didn't want to over promise since Fords communication with them has been very poor.

OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Part of what is confusing the dealers is that there are two separate memos. One covering Ford F-150 indicating that they are removing heated steering wheels across the model lineup and giving a $140 MSRP credit for the removal with NO RETROFIT available. There is a separate memo specific to F-150 Lightning indicating that says it WILL be available for retrofit but with only a $50 MSRP credit for the inconvenience, however when my Lightning was built it reflects the $140 credit.

The memo from Ford doesn't indicate that some Lightnings may have them removed completely. I'm hoping that the $140 credit was just an error and isn't indicative of full removal, but my dealer wasn't sure and didn't want to over promise since Fords communication with them has been very poor.
Yes, same here. I actually feel kind of bad for the dealers here. Their Ford distribution team reps can't even get accurate data, so the dealers are left holding the bag to deal with customers who are also confused

Same here also, I had the $140 credit also on my window sticker.

tjphillips36

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER
Occupation
Ford Parts

F-150's and Lightnings are technically 2 separate models on the Ford side and built at separate plants. The F-150 communication was sent on 10/07 and F-150 Lightning communication was sent on 10/19.

The acknowledgment forms that you sign at delivery for missing options are also different from the F-150 vs the Lightning.

N0v0w3ls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
You are correct and I agree 100% where I think Ford just screwed up when they did the invoicing on the Lightning side, but I'm sure many dealers won't commit to the retrofit option when the MSRP adjustment reflects a full delete. Especially when they can't get further clarification from Ford. They're understandably concerned about CSI and would rather under promise and over deliver. Ford CS hasn't replied at all either and I have to assume they have seen the myriad of threads regarding this.

Sponsored
OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Ultimately, this is on Ford at the corporate level. Someone there HAS to know what is going on. Either way, I ordered the 511A package and want my heated steering wheel installed one way or another.

I'm fine that the parts aren't available now (even though my hands are freezing in the 10 degree weather we're having). I just want confirmation by the manufacturer that they will support those of us who paid $80K + for these trucks and ordered the heated wheel in the package.

Most challenging, is that given the range problems we're all having with the Lightnings in the extreme cold. Ford's recommendation is to minimize cabin heat and use the heated seats and wheel, but I don't actually have a heated wheel!

sheppy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Lightning
Occupation
Engineer

If someone gets any clarification on the heated steering wheel issue please post an update. I am taking delivery on my 23 Platinum Lightning in about a week and when I looked at my invoice details today I observed that the heating steering wheel has been removed with $140 credit. Needless to say I am quite disappointed about the possibility of not getting this standard item if that is in fact true. The whole reason I ordered a Platinum model is because I wanted all the bells and whistles possible. So far I am now not getting the massage seats, (-$300) the onboard scale and smart hitch removal (-$650) and now possibly the heated steering wheel (-$140). And for the price of this vehicle and the amount that is credited back for removing these features from the invoice seems minimal.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I'm looking forward to the day that this feature can be enabled in the future.

Does anyone know if the onboard scales will ever be able to be functionable in the future?

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
On my order there have been two removed items, the heated steering wheel at $50 and the advanced alarm/security system at $140.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.