• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel deletion and retrofit clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
heated steering wheel and scales still being deleted on new builds? aren't we over this chip shortage yet?
Unlike the window sticks of late December where a $140 dollar credit is shown as compensation for the inconvenience of not having the heated wheel on delivery, later window sticks for 2/6, 2/13 & 2/20 DO NOT show a removal credit. So, possibly they are now available, talk to your Canadian salesman to confirm availability and or compensation credit being still applicable for March order bank
Sponsored

OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
heated steering wheel and scales still being deleted on new builds? aren't we over this chip shortage yet?
Not sure if its the "chip shortage" per se, it may simply be that the actual controllers weren't available in volume when the trucks were being assembled. I imagine its more than just the chips, as this is pretty low tech stuff.

Unfortunately the car industry hasn't been good at keeping current with semiconductors ever, it just got amplified in the past couple of years.

Amadj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None Yet
So does anyone know the bottom line? Will they retrofit these if they were line deleted from my sticker and given the $140 credit?

I don't care if they charge me $300 but I want my heated steering wheel.

OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
So does anyone know the bottom line? Will they retrofit these if they were line deleted from my sticker and given the $140 credit?

I don't care if they charge me $300 but I want my heated steering wheel.
Yeah, unfortunately no one really knows and Ford hasn't really been clear. The dealers have been given either no information, conflicting information, or murky information.

What there's no clarity on, is which part didn't make it to the factory on time.... Was it the actual wheel with the filament inside, or was it the controller that runs the heating element.

From past experiences (YMMV big time), if the wheel with the heating filament in it was not installed, it can be installed in the field by the dealer, but it could be more complicated if they have different wire harnesses for cars with and without the heated wheel. If the wire harness is the same, then the wheel install could be done, even if its a bit of work (airbags, conductors, alignment, etc).

Assuming the wire harness is the same, adding a controller is much simpler in most cases. This of course its very dependent on where the controller is installed in the car (probably under or in the dash, but I haven't looked).

Once the controller is installed, activating the whole thing should be reasonably straight forward as the whole thing is digitally controlled via the CAN Bus (controller area network), so theoretically, once all the hardware is present on the CAN Bus, doing the software work to activate the whole thing and have the wheel icon show up on our screens should be really simple.

I too had mine deleted, and living in the northeast, I really want my heated steering wheel as well.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Has anyone taken delivery lately with a heated steering wheel? I'm finally able to convert my reservation to an order but I'm not ordering an expensive truck without this.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone taken delivery lately with a heated steering wheel? I'm finally able to convert my reservation to an order but I'm not ordering an expensive truck without this.
Looking at FORD.CA and FORD.COM
Platinum configurator information details.
CA no heated wheels listed
US heated are listed.

US ER trims include heated wheels.

Get with your salesman to confirm a recent WBDO build for CA sales can be submitted to the factory for actual build and scheduling, hopefully your dealer has a recent customer to prove this

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
So I have a $70 Cdn credit applied to my window sticker. That stands to reason that the steering wheel is equipped for heat, just missing the semi-conductor. When they're available my dealer will call me in to have it installed.

According to my salesman.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
From what I have seen you can order an ICE F-150 with the heat. So I would think you could with the Lightning as well. Just confirm when you talk about option with your sales associate.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Heated wheel was to be back and included on trucks produced starting in March. But then the battery fire and production stop happened. I still think trucks are now being produced with the heated wheel, but not 100% sure. The cabin intrusion sensor is supposed to be coming back soon as well -- this one can not be retrofit. Onboard scales are probably not coming back for MY2023 and probably won't be able to retrofit in the future even if parts are available as it seems the system is being updated and/or coming from a different supplier.

I have two dealerships tell me that for those of us without the heated wheel, it can be retrofit. The dealership local to me says it's the CAN Bus module needed and installs below the steering column. They have the part number, but there's no availability. They're expecting a TSB regarding the retrofit, possibly even a recall once ample supplies of the module are available. They have confirmed my Lightning has the proper steering wheel with the heat components, as all Lightnings should, just needs the module to control it. As long as I can get it installed before it gets cold next fall, I'll be OK with this...

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 F150 Limited 14 Shelby GT500 22 Lightning order
Occupation
Retired
If someone gets any clarification on the heated steering wheel issue please post an update. I am taking delivery on my 23 Platinum Lightning in about a week and when I looked at my invoice details today I observed that the heating steering wheel has been removed with $140 credit. Needless to say I am quite disappointed about the possibility of not getting this standard item if that is in fact true. The whole reason I ordered a Platinum model is because I wanted all the bells and whistles possible. So far I am now not getting the massage seats, (-$300) the onboard scale and smart hitch removal (-$650) and now possibly the heated steering wheel (-$140). And for the price of this vehicle and the amount that is credited back for removing these features from the invoice seems minimal.
Not sure if you realize but not only are you not getting the Active Motion seats. You are no longer getting the Multi-Contour seats.
All a bunch of BS. I wanted what the features I ordered. I'm not a happy Ford customer!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST

Your order page will tell you if heated steering wheel is an option. If it isn't, then you don't have to finalize the order.

sheppy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if you realize but not only are you not getting the Active Motion seats. You are no longer getting the Multi-Contour seats.
All a bunch of BS. I wanted what the features I ordered. I'm not a happy Ford customer!!

I have already taken delivery on mine and I did get a letter with my invoice stating that when the heated steering wheel chip comes in that they will be activating my heated steering wheel. All of the hardware was installed. It just needs the chip. It will be at no cost to me and I was given a $140 credit for the inconvenience. I did also get the multi-contour seats but not the massage features. Also did not receive the on-board scales. All of which I received a credit for.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Your order page will tell you if heated steering wheel is an option. If it isn't, then you don't have to finalize the order.
He is Canadian, has to go to dealer to manually input order, but definitely needs to confirm what is /isn't available

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I just tried building a 2023 ICE F-150. Heated steering wheel, security package, and scales were all offered as options to include in the build. This implies that the shortages that prompted their deletion in the Lightning builds is over.

Then tried building a Lightning. No scales. No heated steering wheel.

Anyone know a good reason why they are not added back into Lightning builds if parts are available again?

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Ultimately, this is on Ford at the corporate level. Someone there HAS to know what is going on. Either way, I ordered the 511A package and want my heated steering wheel installed one way or another.

I'm fine that the parts aren't available now (even though my hands are freezing in the 10 degree weather we're having). I just want confirmation by the manufacturer that they will support those of us who paid $80K + for these trucks and ordered the heated wheel in the package.

Most challenging, is that given the range problems we're all having with the Lightnings in the extreme cold. Ford's recommendation is to minimize cabin heat and use the heated seats and wheel, but I don't actually have a heated wheel!
This is a bad joke from Ford to us owners, yes I was told to minimize cabin heat and use the heated seats and heater steering wheel, which my 2023 Platinum had heated steering wheel deleted from it. Of all the deleted items that were deleted, this is the one I would like most to get it activated, fixed, whatever. Heating an electric truck cabin in the extreme cold literally zaps the battery an extra 30-40% of desired range. Ford should have figured out a work around on a just under 100k vehicle.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.