• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning bigger than my garage!

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
The lightning is going to come in about 6” too long for my garage bays! ?

Deal breaker?

How does charging outside your house work? Box with a lock on it? I would like to eventually add a third bay to the garage and would make that fit, but it’s a few years out.

I pre ordered one to replace my 2021 Tacoma that drives like it can’t figure out how a vehicle should shift. The Tacoma barely fits with 10” to spare lol.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla

Deal breaker?

How does charging outside your house work? Box with a lock on it? I would like to eventually add a third bay to the garage and would make that fit, but it’s a few years out.

I pre ordered one to replace my 2021 Tacoma that drives like it can’t figure out how a vehicle should shift. The Tacoma barely fits with 10” to spare lol.

We are renting a house with a 2 car garage and I measured a day or two after I put in my res and found that probably the length of the bumper or about your measurement, that back to front it was about 225 to 228 inches (forgot which one).

I was ? dooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.

Then a day later it came to me ... Im parking the Lightning diagonally :cool:(y).

The other car that shares the garage now ... ... ... sorry buddy but you be parked in front of the house then.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Don't feel to bad - I don't have a garage and can't build one on my property.

I just plan on mounting the charger on the front wall of my house. If someone is desperate enough to need to use the charger, than I am OK with them doing it.

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Deal breaker?

I'm in the same boat. looking into options on extending the front of the garage.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
We are renting a house with a 2 car garage and I measured a day or two after I put in my res and found that probably the length of the bumper or about your measurement, that back to front it was about 225 to 228 inches (forgot which one).

I was ? dooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.

Then a day later it came to me ... Im parking the Lightning diagonally :cool:(y).

The other car that shares the garage now ... ... ... sorry buddy but you be parked in front of the house then.
I have a damn post in the middle unfortunately ?.

Having the cord under the garage door seems like a good compromise, that’s a good idea.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Screw, SRX Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
WHY do people build such small garages?
Why do people buy houses with such small garages?
I see a lot of folks who seemingly don't care as they park their vehicles outside anyway because their garage is so full of junk!

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Sierra, 2021 Expedition
I see a lot of folks who seemingly don't care as they park their vehicles outside anyway because their garage is so full of junk!
Blows me away! I have three work benches, a cabinet, all my yard stuff, bikes and a few other things in my garage and my wife’s expedition fits in there. My sierra is to long to fit, but my ‘11 sierra didn’t fit either. Got a friend with a real two car garage could park two F-250s in it, but yet both cars are in the driveway! I have not figured out the plan for charging yet.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Unfortunately in hot housing markets we aren’t spoiled for choices when buying lol. That two feet of garage space could end up costing 100k. In Denver on almost 7 houses I was outbid with straight cash. My current place I had to offer to let them live here free for a month and be reeeeeeaaaallly easy on the inspection. Structural only. Luckily they took my offer over the higher cash offer. For what I paid I always figured I’d have a big house with a huge shop on 10 acres, but it wasn’t meant to be ha.
I feel you on the crap in garages and not being able to park in them. If you have that much shit chances are you don’t use it/need it. I’d rather ditch that stuff and get

Sponsored

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
I have the Mach E charger plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet I installed on the outside of the house.
With an outdoor enclosure on the outlet, I hope?

My garage is 245" deep. Not deep enough to walk around a Lightning (or Cybertruck) parked inside realistically.

So I'm planning on parking it on the driveway unless snow or hail is forecast. We have a 40A EVSE inside the garage for my wife's Pacifica Hybrid, and I'll put the 80A Ford EVSE on the outside of the garage. I'm not worried about other people using it--cost to me would be trivial.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer

Deal breaker?

The good news is most hard-wired EVSE units like the Ford Connected Charge Station are weatherproof and can be mounted outside. Our Clipper Creek charger is hardwired in our covered carport. I'm confident the Ford Pro Charger (80A) that comes with the ER battery will be weatherproof as well.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
The good news is most hard-wired EVSE units like the Ford Connected Charge Station are weatherproof and can be mounted outside. Our Clipper Creek charger is hardwired in our covered carport. I'm confident the Ford Pro Charger (80A) that comes with the ER battery will be weatherproof as well.
That will be great! I wasn’t planning on the ER, but it’s only $7k with any trim above the pro, so the pros are starting to outweighing the price for sure. I live in a nicer area so I don’t think I need to worry about people trying to use it lol.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
We have a 40A EVSE inside the garage for my wife's Pacifica Hybrid, and I'll put the 80A Ford EVSE on the outside of the garage. I'm not worried about other people using it--cost to me would be trivial.
We even listed our EVSE on PlugShare and ChargeHub. If any BEV driver is so desperate they want to charge in our driveway, they are welcome to do so!

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
With an outdoor enclosure on the outlet, I hope?

My garage is 245" deep. Not deep enough to walk around a Lightning (or Cybertruck) parked inside realistically.

So I'm planning on parking it on the driveway unless snow or hail is forecast. We have a 40A EVSE inside the garage for my wife's Pacifica Hybrid, and I'll put the 80A Ford EVSE on the outside of the garage. I'm not worried about other people using it--cost to me would be trivial.
It's a covered outdoor outlet. You can even padlock the cover if you're worried about someone stealing the charger.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning bigger than my garage! outlet.JPG
Sponsored