• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning bigger than my garage!

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
If you're worried about someone using it, just turn off the breaker inside when you aren't using it.
Sponsored

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I have a damn post in the middle unfortunately ?.

Having the cord under the garage door seems like a good compromise, that’s a good idea.
That sucks bout the post in the middle, hopefully the cord feeding outside works for you.

ocwill1

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 502A, 2021 Lexus RX350(wifey)
Occupation
Computer System Engineer
when I had my F250 diesel a few years ago, I poked a hole in the garage wall near an outlet. Installed weatherproof outlet cover and ran the extension cord out of the hole to the engine heater plug in the winter.. Will most likely be able to use the same setup to plug in the Lightning...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
when I had my F250 diesel a few years ago, I poked a hole in the garage wall near an outlet. Installed weatherproof outlet cover and ran the extension cord out of the hole to the engine heater plug in the winter.. Will most likely be able to use the same setup to plug in the Lightning...
You are going to want to use 220v to charge at home. Charging from 110v will take several days to fully charge unless you are only driving 30 or 40 miles a day(you may not even recoup that overnight). The charger cable that comes with the truck will need a hole probably close to 2 inches to fit through. You'll be better off installing a 14-50 outlet on the exterior if you plan on using the included charging cable. If you are getting the ER battery you will also get the ford 80amp charger which will have to be professionally installed as it will also require a main shutoff so that the truck will not feed back into the grid. The 80 amp charger will be required to use the home backup power feature.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Screw, SRX Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
You are going to want to use 220v to charge at home. Charging from 110v will take several days to fully charge unless you are only driving 30 or 40 miles a day(you may not even recoup that overnight). The charger cable that comes with the truck will need a hole probably close to 2 inches to fit through. You'll be better off installing a 14-50 outlet on the exterior if you plan on using the included charging cable. If you are getting the ER battery you will also get the ford 80amp charger which will have to be professionally installed as it will also require a main shutoff so that the truck will not feed back into the grid. The 80 amp charger will be required to use the home backup power feature.
Boy this sounds convenient, piece of cake.....LOL!!

Sponsored

jas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic
The lightning is going to come in about 6” too long for my garage bays! ?

Deal breaker?

How does charging outside your house work? Box with a lock on it? I would like to eventually add a third bay to the garage and would make that fit, but it’s a few years out.

I pre ordered one to replace my 2021 Tacoma that drives like it can’t figure out how a vehicle should shift. The Tacoma barely fits with 10” to spare lol.

I feel ya.

I am not a truck person and only drive one as my daily job. My daily off work driving is from and to very tight parking lots and I require a truck bed only a few hours per decade. Luckily our two current compact cars fit inside our three car garage and with some creative diagonal parking can probably accommodate a short bed F-150. Honestly trucks are not for everyone and my interest in the Ford F-150 Lightning is entirely about its electric features at this price point not that it’s a truck. I’d rather not have to buy an electric truck but having waited and watched electric vehicles for 15 years I might have to jump at this bargain. For some reason trucks seem cheaper than comparably equipped smaller vehicles in the US. To me and my needs they are a nightmare to park where I travel but Ford for now seems to have taken a committed lead in building a usable, normal tough electric vehicle. I reserved one on day one.

The reason why I NEED an electric vehicle to be garage-able is not just about security. Here in Florida most of our power outages, long term outages especially, are severe weather related. Having backup power corded from a truck parked outside during a thunderstorm, tornado or hurricane IS NOT AN OPTION.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
A Mach E owner used one of these RV ports:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...yone-purchasing-for-home-use.5663/post-192147
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning bigger than my garage! PXL_20210415_183030472
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning bigger than my garage! PXL_20210415_182943739

Sponsored

Dammit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1985 F150 with only 88K original miles
Just measured my garage... 21'9". My problem will be that the main panel in my house is stacked full, with the solar array taking up the final spots. I'm not sure I can add a sub-panel without upgrading my main. 1st world problems, right?

Aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Just measured my garage... 21'9". My problem will be that the main panel in my house is stacked full, with the solar array taking up the final spots. I'm not sure I can add a sub-panel without upgrading my main. 1st world problems, right?
If you have an electric dryer there is a charger out there that splits off the dryer circuit for the charger. It automatically switches off the charger when the dryer is in use. They advertise it if the dryer is in the garage but should also work if not, add a longer electrical run from the dryer to the charger.

Dammit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1985 F150 with only 88K original miles
If you have an electric dryer there is a charger out there that splits off the dryer circuit for the charger. It automatically switches off the charger when the dryer is in use. They advertise it if the dryer is in the garage but should also work if not, add a longer electrical run from the dryer to the charger.
Interesting. Dryer is on the second floor, and the panel is in the basement. Fortunately my next door neighbor is an electrician. :)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The included 32A portable EVSE only needs a 40A circuit.
If I am not mistaken though, it comes with a standard 110 plug and then a 14-50 style plug. That's why I suggested that outlet style.
Sponsored