• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
All, just did this project. Makes a HUGE difference. Pics don't do it justice. The truck just looks right now. I put together a how-to for others who might be interested. Cheers!

##################################################################################################################

###UPDATE### 22Sep - After driving for about 1500 miles, I can no longer recommend doing the full 3" suspension shortening/2" rear drop level, but instead you guys should do a 1.5" suspension shortening ( 1" drop. ) You can do this by adding two of the 5/8" steel rings to each strut tower, included with the shocks. I did this change today, and glad I did.

1) With 3" shortening (2" drop) described in the original post, the ride does take a significant hit and is not longer very comfortable. That 3" of suspension travel you take out is ALL the comfort, beyond that compression is for heavy loads only. Feels like my old ICE truck with stiff rear leaf springs. Bouncy and hits hard.

2) The negative camber is unacceptable. Mine was 2.5-3 degrees after leveling. There's no way to adjust it on Lightnings without frame modification. You have to remember that this suspension travels on an arc. The more the suspension is shortened, the more the control arm rotates around its axis and forward in the wheel well, and creates negative camber. It rode worse, was louder, and my efficiency took a hit by not riding on the tires square.

3) The good news! By doing a 1.5" shortening (1" drop), compromise is best! You do this by adding two (2) of the 5/8" steel rings to the shock body. This functions as a spacer. There is virtually no camber difference in a 1" drop, its still within spec, it does look significantly better with reduced (but not eliminated) rake, and rides *much* better. I'm very satisfied now.

Bottom line, ride and negative camber get exponentially worse with 3" shortening (2" drop) and you can keep the ride and improve the looks by only doing a 1.5" shortening (1" drop).

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 IMG_2424.JPG

##################################################################################################################

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 1

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 2

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 3

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 4

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 5

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 IMG_2424.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Strangatang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
This is awesome! Thanks. Let us know if you get it aligned/how it goes

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is awesome! Thanks. Let us know if you get it aligned/how it goes
I have ordered the camber kit from icon. It's about 2° of negative camber. Still drives just fine with no road noise or instability, but I think I'm gonna get it just for my peace of mind and a bit of perfectionism.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Nice!
Can you tell us about the ride quality (firmer, softer, unchanged versus stock)?
Thanks for posting this.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice!
Can you tell us about the ride quality (firmer, softer, unchanged versus stock)?
Thanks for posting this.
it's a little firmer. A 2 inch drop takes out some of the softest suspension but I actually like it because I feel like it floats a little too much stock. I feel like it's even a little unpredictable stock. Now, lower, it feels more planted and more predictable, I get much more feedback through the steering wheel which I appreciate because it tells me what's going on at the wheels. Cornering is much more confidence inspiring

Sponsored

BEVolution

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y adding Lightning
I actually like it because I feel like it floats a little too much stock. I feel like it's even a little unpredictable stock. Now, lower, it feels more planted and more predictable
Feel the same about stock setup, will have to add to the next mod list. Looks fantastic too.

Thanks for the excellent DIY and noted caution with spring compressor.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Really appreciate this - thank you! I am not confident enough to do this myself, but may ask to shop to do it when I get new tires this Fall!

Ice No More?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, F450
Occupation
Aviation Professional
All, just did this project. Makes a HUGE difference. Pics don't do it justice. The truck just looks right now. I put together a how-to for others who might be interested. Cheers!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png
Great article and really appreciate the detailed instructions. One question about step 8 of the removal, can I add prezels? I have wanted to level but really didn't want to go up in the front. This looks fantastic, I will let everyone know how it works for me. Please provide feedback if you do add the ICON kick to set camber. I am thinking slight negative coule help handling in corners.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Really appreciate this - thank you! I am not confident enough to do this myself, but may ask to shop to do it when I get new tires this Fall!
No Regerts

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great article and really appreciate the detailed instructions. One question about step 8 of the removal, can I add prezels? I have wanted to level but really didn't want to go up in the front. This looks fantastic, I will let everyone know how it works for me. Please provide feedback if you do add the ICON kick to set camber. I am thinking slight negative coule help handling in corners.
It could. I think I'd like mine in spec though.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does this still support full rated payload (if you know), or is it a derate?
A 2 inch rear drop is perfectly in line with standard operating metrics for the truck. Since it is using the same springs and the same trailing arm, it should be able to handle the same load.

YMMV

emptykim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
If you have a moment, would you measure the overall height of the truck? This might allow me to fit into more parking garages.

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sure. After the 2 inch drop at the rear tires, it's now 76" at its highest point (GPS and Sirius antennae)

thats 1" lower than stock, which makes sense because the highest point on the truck is smack dab in the middle of the truck

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you have a moment, would you measure the overall height of the truck? This might allow me to fit into more parking garages.
thought you might appreciate this. Here is my rear lowered truck next to a stock lightning, the difference is actually pretty noticeable.

Ford F-150 Lightning HOW TO DIY -- level / lower rear suspension on Ford Lightning using Belltech 25001 IMG_0706
Sponsored