• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Fabulous mileage & will take me 4 years to get there! At 20K I’m still at 100% state of health and drop 100 miles daily & roll in that 30%-70% S.O.C. sweet spot. 98% charge at home 1 am to 6 am. My high school ‘56 F100 had a 17 gallon tank and when driven sedately on the highway had 340 miles of range out of that I-6. But less as an about the farm truck. I’m ok with the 270-290 miles of useful range and a few long distance trips (2000 miles round trip) where no problem. Future trucks will be awesome and I’m feeling awesome with the ER-LT!
Sponsored

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
90% home charging using the Ford Charger derated to 15.9kwh. 2 round trips of > 3200 miles. Several 800-1000 mile trips and dozens of 200-400 mile trips. I'm not even going to attempt to count up the 76-125 mile trips because everything is 38 miles away. EVERY TIME I pull into the driveway I plug in. Only failed to do so twice in two years (it was surprisingly shocking when I discovered I hadn't plugged in) . For the vast majority of the two years the charge level feature was set to 90%. Charges to 100% were very rare. I recently tried only charging to 70% and 80% but ended up coming home below 20% and 10% way to often.
Congrats on the 100k!!

Out of curiosity, how many times more or less did you go lower than 20%?
And did you notice there was any power limit on the dashboard?

The two times I tried to go down to 0% power was limited to 70% at 10% SoC and 35% at 0%..

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Out of curiosity, how many times more or less did you go lower than 20%?
And did you notice there was any power limit on the dashboard?
I'm not certain but I would say 10 times or so. Usually if I'm going to go below 20% I'm probably going to go below 10% also on that trip. The only thing on the dashboard was the repeated range warnings and orange range numbers. But I'm normally on cruise control so I would not have detected a throttle response change. I certainly don't remember any notifications on power limitations.

Box Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Cool, thanks.
You would typically see the power bar greyed out like in the attached picture.
But at regular speeds and mild acceleration you may not notice anything…

Ford F-150 Lightning 100,000 Mile F-150 Lightning Dashboard Screenshot IMG_3215

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Cool, thanks.

IMG_3215.jpeg

Certainly didn't notice it. The ground is pretty flat here (within 60 miles or so and I stay on cruise control to avoid tickets). I'll be looking for it in the future though.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Cool, thanks.

IMG_3215.jpeg
Just realized why I didn't notice this. I don't use this view much. I use the minimalist view on the dashboard the vast majority of time.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I love reading through this thread.

My truck has been great, but I became disillusioned after losing a battery module in January. I’ve heard of enough repeat failures to be afraid of owning it after the 100K battery warranty. I drive 30-40K/year, so I’ll be at the OP’s point in two years or less.

Perhaps further battery problems aren’t a foregone conclusion. I look forward to hearing how things go from here.

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I love reading through this thread.

My truck has been great, but I became disillusioned after losing a battery module in January. I’ve heard of enough repeat failures to be afraid of owning it after the 100K battery warranty. I drive 30-40K/year, so I’ll be at the OP’s point in two years or less.

Perhaps further battery problems aren’t a foregone conclusion. I look forward to hearing how things go from here.
I didn't realize there were so many battery module failures, but I haven't been looking for them either.

Sponsored

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Funny, I was just looking at one today. I'm very interested in them but I have way to many miles on the Lightning and its trade in value would be pathetic ($40K maybe). I'm going to keep this one until 2028 and/or 300,000 miles, which ever comes first. My entire purchase decision was justified on getting 300,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. So by 2028, their prices should be lower. If something unexpected happens to upset my plans, then I'll take another look at the Chevy. I want to get an electric car later this year on maybe next. The Aptera, with the 1000 mile battery, is looking interesting and the price is right. Now if they would just get to building them.
The Aptera certainly looks interesting, But I would be deathly afraid of being Rear ended. The way folks drive around my area, there were 4 major collisions on SP Dam Road just this last week (04-21 to 04-27)

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
The Aptera certainly looks interesting, But I would be deathly afraid of being Rear ended. The way folks drive around my area, there were 4 major collisions on SP Dam Road just this last week (04-21 to 04-27)
The driver's seat is a significant distance from the impact zone. It's foot print is fairly large, at least as big as a large compact car or smallish mid-sized. There is a lot of body that would have to be compressed a lot to get to the driver. Not saying it can't happen, but if the strength claimed by the CEO is accurate, you are at least as safe in it as would be a Honda Civic.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The driver's seat is a significant distance from the impact zone. It's foot print is fairly large, at least as big as a large compact car or smallish mid-sized. There is a lot of body that would have to be compressed a lot to get to the driver. Not saying it can't happen, but if the strength claimed by the CEO is accurate, you are at least as safe in it as would be a Honda Civic.
That’s only if you ignore the consequences of inertia. The Aptera weighs about 2,000 lbs, and the Civic weighs 50% more. That means the Civic would experience 50% less acceleration from an impact with a movable object. F=MA, so A = F/M.

The Lightning has a significant mass advantage over most other light vehicles. That makes me nervous if I’m ever involved in an accident because of how much more dangerous it is for the other guy.

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
That’s only if you ignore the consequences of inertia. The Aptera weighs about 2,000 lbs, and the Civic weighs 50% more. That means the Civic would experience 50% less acceleration from an impact with a movable object. F=MA, so A = F/M.

The Lightning has a significant mass advantage over most other light vehicles. That makes me nervous if I’m ever involved in an accident because of how much more dangerous it is for the other guy.

Most certainly! Can't beat physics. I can't remember what NHSTA study was quoted to me, but supposedly it shows that passengers in vehicles above 5000lbs had a dramatically lower chance of being killed or significantly injured. Add that onto the modern safety systems like airbags, pre-collision seat belt tightening, pre-collision brake assist, even FSD, Blue Cruise, etc. larger vehicles fair better than smaller vehicles. I do think the strength of the cockpit around the occupants of the Aptera, keeping the "attacking" vehicle out of the cockpit will benefit the mushy humans significantly.

I need to go see what the current stats are on deaths and serious injury in modern vehicles is. I'd love to know if the majority of deaths and serious injuries are now caused by people not using vehicle safety systems correctly.
Sponsored