• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Just got back from a long road trip from SW WA to Phoenix to partake in some spring training games. Went south on 5 through OR and CA, then back home through UT, ID and OR.

The truck did awesome, absolutely flawless. Most of the driving was at 70 mph, even when posted speeds were 65-80. Did a couple hundred miles at 75 when I had a tailwind. Averaged 2.1 m/kWh over the whole trip.

DC charging was mostly done on EA and was great. Only once didnā€™t I have to switch chargers when mine was only pushing 41kW. Few charges on CP250s and one Tesla Magic Dock in Boardman, OR.

Was able to charge overnight on 6 of the 7 nights. We all know it, but getting my Supercharger adapter will be a game changer. Iā€™ve been painfully watching the CCS network grow since 2017 so Iā€™ve got PlugShare, ABRP and all the apps dialed in. With the adapter I can cut my planning time down to 1/10th of what I spend now.

In the SR starting the day with a full charge I drove up to 190 miles depending on charging location, then it was charge to 80-85% and drive up to 160 miles. This proved to be a great road trip pace, drive 2-2.5 hours and stop to charge 35-45 min. As Jim said, itā€™s not range anxiety, itā€™s charging anxiety.

Ford F-150 Lightning One Week 3,144 Mile Road Trip in SR Lightning Pro IMG_6871
Ford F-150 Lightning One Week 3,144 Mile Road Trip in SR Lightning Pro IMG_6806
Ford F-150 Lightning One Week 3,144 Mile Road Trip in SR Lightning Pro IMG_6905
Ford F-150 Lightning One Week 3,144 Mile Road Trip in SR Lightning Pro IMG_6906
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It gives me hope to see a Pro Bro rockin it in the wild Pre-Superchargers.

OP
OP

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
It gives me hope to see a Pro Bro rockin it in the wild Pre-Superchargers.
It felt like the Wild West. Especially the 220 mile DC gap across the Hopi and Navajo reservations. That was an overnight at the RV park special. Didnā€™t see a single electric car that whole stretch.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just got back from a long road trip from SW WA to Phoenix to partake in some spring training games. Went south on 5 through OR and CA, then back home through UT, ID and OR.

The truck did awesome, absolutely flawless. Most of the driving was at 70 mph, even when posted speeds were 65-80. Did a couple hundred miles at 75 when I had a tailwind. Averaged 2.1 m/kWh over the whole trip.

DC charging was mostly done on EA and was great. Only once didnā€™t I have to switch chargers when mine was only pushing 41kW. Few charges on CP250s and one Tesla Magic Dock in Boardman, OR.

Was able to charge overnight on 6 of the 7 nights. We all know it, but getting my Supercharger adapter will be a game changer. Iā€™ve been painfully watching the CCS network grow since 2017 so Iā€™ve got PlugShare, ABRP and all the apps dialed in. With the adapter I can cut my planning time down to 1/10th of what I spend now.

In the SR starting the day with a full charge I drove up to 190 miles depending on charging location, then it was charge to 80-85% and drive up to 160 miles. This proved to be a great road trip pace, drive 2-2.5 hours and stop to charge 35-45 min. As Jim said, itā€™s not range anxiety, itā€™s charging anxiety.

IMG_6871.jpeg
IMG_6806.jpeg
IMG_6905.jpeg
IMG_6906.jpeg
Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing āš”

Ayrshireman

First Name
Glyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Taureg and Subaru Wilderness
Occupation
Sales Management
Biers,
Great photos of your trip. Totally agree comment about charging anxiety. Simple formula for me in transition was reset time expectations (vs ACI gas stop); use time to relax or exercise/be productive and relish not using gas. I regularly do 240 mi in Northeast conditions trip at 73mph and stop once for 20 min top off. No worries!

Sponsored

Ayrshireman

First Name
Glyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Taureg and Subaru Wilderness
Occupation
Sales Management
Biers,
Great photos of your trip. Totally agree comment about charging anxiety. Simple formula for me in transition was reset time expectations (vs ACI gas stop); use time to relax or exercise/be productive and relish not using gas. I regularly do 240 mi in Northeast conditions trip at 73mph and stop once for 20 min top off. No worries!
ICE not ACI

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my own '22 PRO SR, with over 41,000 miles since August '22, and over 1/2 of those mile while towing, most of the retoric about 'these trucks won't work, and you can't go anywhere in them' is simply adolescent jargon... these non-ev owners have no clue, and just don't want to 'believe' it...

I've never looked back when I received mine. I hooked up our camper and immediately dispelled any negative feedback by making my inaugural 800 mile trip, over several days, and several campgrounds, and several charging stops, of course... it was very enjoyable, comfortable, and the truck hardly knew it was even 'towing'...

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
This gives me hope. My wife and I usually road-trip from the mid-Willamette Valley in Oregon to Yellowstone at least once a year (sometimes twice). With the Tesla network opening, it will make our lives much easier (ABRP already has all the good stops plotted!). Haven't driven the Lightning further than 200 miles at ago (Lariat ER), and while I'm nervous about a 2000 mile road trip, I'm sure it'll be fine (especially after we get our adapter).

Thanks for sharing this sort of trip; helps my charging (not range!) anxiety quite a bit. :)

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
my own '22 PRO SR, with over 41,000 miles since August '22, and over 1/2 of those mile while towing, most of the retoric about 'these trucks won't work, and you can't go anywhere in them' is simply adolescent jargon... these non-ev owners have no clue, and just don't want to 'believe' it...

I've never looked back when I received mine. I hooked up our camper and immediately dispelled any negative feedback by making my inaugural 800 mile trip, over several days, and several campgrounds, and several charging stops, of course... it was very enjoyable, comfortable, and the truck hardly knew it was even 'towing'...
I really appreciate your forum input, but something about this post really rubs me the wrong way.
I also took a road trip in my Ford lightning. It was a freaking nightmare.
Not every trip is a journey.
Iā€™m very glad that you enjoy road tripping in your lightning. But if I had read your post before I took my road trip, Iā€™d be a little upset.
It most certainly isnā€™t for everyone.

Not all interstate trips are journeys. Sometimes youā€™re just trying to get from point A to point B.
Do you want to turn that mind numbing 6 Hour Interstate drive into a 9 Hour time suck to see the inlaws? Take your standard range truck. By all means, knock yourself out.
But insulting those that would rather not by name-calling, is pretty juvenile in itself. It was an extra three hours each way, an extra six hours total over a weekend of nothing but interstate driving. Never again

Keep posting, I really do enjoy your posts, but thatā€™s uncalled for.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
There are so many variables in the never ending debate about whether EVs are good for longer trips. Clearly, ICE is still easier by a VERY wide margin.

When I travel to the Adirondacks in upstate NY, it's virtually impossible to find fast chargers at all, especially near some of the towns where I camp. Those towns don't even have cell phone towers and you need to drive 20 miles just to purchase food or even gas, so EV chargers are even harder to find.

Range anxiety is real, but anxiety will shrink as the number of fast chargers eventually grows. People who are lucky enough to travel along roads with a lot of fast chargers will have a better experience than those who travel along roads with fewer charging options.

I'm happy to see new charger locations popping up and now I'm thankful that I no longer care whether they're Tesla SuperChargers. It was super frustrating to pass all those SuperChargers while I was looking for a WORKING DC charger on those longer trips. Now, I'm thankful there are so many SuperCharger sites. At least I know they're working.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I really appreciate your forum input, but something about this post really rubs me the wrong way.
I also took a road trip in my Ford lightning. It was a freaking nightmare.
Not every trip is a journey.
Iā€™m very glad that you enjoy road tripping in your lightning. But if I had read your post before I took my road trip, Iā€™d be a little upset.
It most certainly isnā€™t for everyone.

Not all interstate trips are journeys. Sometimes youā€™re just trying to get from point A to point B.
Do you want to turn that mind numbing 6 Hour Interstate drive into a 9 Hour time suck to see the inlaws? Take your standard range truck. By all means, knock yourself out.
But insulting those that would rather not by name-calling, is pretty juvenile in itself. It was an extra three hours each way, an extra six hours total over a weekend of nothing but interstate driving. Never again

Keep posting, I really do enjoy your posts, but thatā€™s uncalled for.

while I was referring to 'NON EV OWNERS', I'll still stand by my words. The word 'PRO' or 'StandardRange' seems to get some folks sideways - and I don't understand it. Your assumption that somehow an 'extended range' battery would magically be your 'saviour' is also a wrong assumption.

My point is that there will always be 'naysayers' when it comes to EVs, period, regardless of battery size. There will also be those same sentiments when it comes to 'comparing' battery pack sizes, as though a 'lowly PRO can't go where I go'... ridiculous. Any of these trucks can go ANYWHERE you wish to take them. If you are so pent up on 'why' it takes so long, then that is just poor planning. I'm not in a rush, nor should you be, but, if you must, you'll have the same aggravation in ANY type of vehicle.

Those of us who own, drive, and enjoy the experience, whether a SR or an ER, don't take things the way you do. Any 'limitation' you project on my truck, or any PRO or SR doesn't make sense. If Ford ONLY had a SR battery pack for all trim levels, there would be no conversation here. Having a 'choice' does not make one 'less than' or 'incapable'... it's just a different choice, and a WHOLE LOT less money, too. That's life.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
while I was referring to 'NON EV OWNERS', I'll still stand by my words. The word 'PRO' or 'StandardRange' seems to get some folks sideways - and I don't understand it. Your assumption that somehow an 'extended range' battery would magically be your 'saviour' is also a wrong assumption.

My point is that there will always be 'naysayers' when it comes to EVs, period, regardless of battery size. There will also be those same sentiments when it comes to 'comparing' battery pack sizes, as though a 'lowly PRO can't go where I go'... ridiculous. Any of these trucks can go ANYWHERE you wish to take them. If you are so pent up on 'why' it takes so long, then that is just poor planning. I'm not in a rush, nor should you be, but, if you must, you'll have the same aggravation in ANY type of vehicle.

Those of us who own, drive, and enjoy the experience, whether a SR or an ER, don't take things the way you do. Any 'limitation' you project on my truck, or any PRO or SR doesn't make sense. If Ford ONLY had a SR battery pack for all trim levels, there would be no conversation here. Having a 'choice' does not make one 'less than' or 'incapable'... it's just a different choice, and a WHOLE LOT less money, too. That's life.
Iā€™m not projecting anything to you. Iā€™m simply asking you not to project onto othersā€¦ as you somehow thought I was somehow referring to an ER in anything mentioned? Im happy you enjoy road tripping in your SR
But itā€™s not a personality defect to have an opinion that differs 180 degrees from your own.
You couldnā€™t pay me to commute across the state in my lightning when I have a gas vehicle that could do the same in 50% less time.

Does that mean Iā€™m trying to convince you that you shouldnā€™t enjoy road tripping in your Lighting? I sincerely hope not. Keep at it if itā€™s brings you joy.
But that should go both ways.

Last edited: