• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

10K service found OBD CEL: brake switch fault & control module comm system faults

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Went to my independent for 10K maintenance (fluids, filters, lube, brake check, etc...)

They pulled 2 OBD faults that they said I needed to follow up with Ford:

• Brake switch fault - brake pedal switch = never noticed any braking issues and no warnings on displays.
  • Control module communications loss/invalid data = nothing unusual - no notice/warnings.
There has been zero issues - no warnings on displays, Ford Pass app or the weekly Ford emails on vehicle health.

Knowing that the mechanic works primarily on ICE vehicles, are these actual "faults" really exist on an EV using an OBD scanner ?

Do I need to take it to a Ford dealer ??

Something to be concerned about ?

Ford F-150 Lightning 10K service found OBD CEL: brake switch fault & control module comm system faults IMG_0756.JPG

Notice it says "Vehicle detected and self cleared emissions related issues 17 miles ago"...
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I wonder how accurate the OBD2 code definitions are with respect to EV's ?

Is your reader an old unit with outdated code/definitions??

I understand that OBD is a ~STANDARD~ but if devices aren't current then garbage in garbage out, YMMV.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
This thing is still under warranty, right? My MME 10K service cost me $20.70. I'm expecting the Lightning to be about the same, so I have to ask the question...why would you go to an independent shop for a vehicle that is 1) still under warranty, 2) and the service cost will likely be very low, and 3) the independent then discovers something the Ford dealership could have diagnosed and fixed during that visit?

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I wonder how accurate the OBD2 code definitions are with respect to EV's ?

Is your reader an old unit with outdated code/definitions??

I understand that OBD is a ~STANDARD~ but if devices aren't current then garbage in garbage out, YMMV.
The OBD reader was the mechanics' and since they service a lot of different vehicles, I got a bit worried.

Taking her in tomorrow since the wiper motors need to be replaced under the recall - will see what they say.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
This thing is still under warranty, right? My MME 10K service cost me $20.70. I'm expecting the Lightning to be about the same, so I have to ask the question...why would you go to an independent shop for a vehicle that is 1) still under warranty, 2) and the service cost will likely be very low, and 3) the independent then discovers something the Ford dealership could have diagnosed and fixed during that visit?
Yes, it's under warranty but getting an appointment with a Ford dealer is like pulling teeth.

All of the 6 dealers near me are backed up and available at odd time when I am working.

So my independent mechanic who specializes in European vehicle servicing and has been my go to honest mechanic did the simple fluid, wipers, brakes and lube job- it was simple and inexpensively on a Saturday.

But the OBD scan got me bothered.

Dropping the truck off tomorrow morning to see if they can squeeze me in.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I noted to your FB post that you might try clearing the codes and see if they reappear. They could have been set months ago. If they reappear in a week or so then I'd suspect a problem. If they are critical codes I think Ford should have reached out, but I don' know just how proactive they are being. These codes (at least critical ones) get uploaded to the cloud and Ford has reached out in some instances - ie - the battery problems.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I noted to your FB post that you might try clearing the codes and see if they reappear. They could have been set months ago. If they reappear in a week or so then I'd suspect a problem. If they are critical codes I think Ford should have reached out, but I don' know just how proactive they are being. These codes (at least critical ones) get uploaded to the cloud and Ford has reached out in some instances - ie - the battery problems.
Unless it's something that they are seeing happen to thousands of vehicles based on data the TCU is sending to the cloud...meaning in the aggregate, I doubt they have the manpower and interest in reaching out to contact owners and tell them they are seeing a problem.

In fact, they have left that function up to the local dealers to perform. One of the reasons they are keen to get people to declare who their preferred dealer is so that the service dept of that dealer has that customer's details and VIN, and they can occasionally scan through "local" VINs in the PTS connected vehicle dashboard and pick up on problems that may be going on, sometimes before the customer even notices that anything's wrong. Sounds great in theory, but I doubt many service advisors have the time (or possibly the inclination) to run down those rabbits and phone the owners and ask them to bring their vehicle in for a check. So they remain "reactive" rather than "proactive". Obviously we need a HAL AI to monitor our TCU data and reach out to us in FordPass to let us know we have a problem....and then (ironically) refuse to open the garage bay door.
Sponsored