• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER for $56k seems to good to be true. What's the catch?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
That's a bit much for me to do to prove someone wrong.. I am going on a small trip from Modesto to Stockton tomorrow. The most I'll do is show the miles/kw stat on both ends.

Here some independent results
I had more sources but I accidentally closed the tab woops:

Edmunds got 332/300 miles
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-platinum-ev-range-test.html

insiderev got 270/330
https://insideevs.com/reviews/598000/ford-f150-lightning-range-test-review/

motortrend 255/300
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...ning-platinum-range-max-charging-test-review/

autoblog got a theoretical 330/300 after a 205 mile test.
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/10/11/2022-ford-f150-lightning-xlt-road-test/
None of those are 75-80 mph though which is a lot different than even 70 mph.
Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
You’d have to go in nice climate and drive slow I was not towing. This truck will only do 180-190 miles hwy range at 75mph. The lower the speed the more the range.
You had bigger wheels and a lift kit right?

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
No major issues! Range GOM was the biggest flaw the truck didn’t make multiple routes and would run of out battery.
Essentially, I’d go on a 200 mile stretch that the truck would say I’d make it with extra. Then as I got closer it would say “nvm” and run out of battery at about 198 highway miles. I’ve had the truck towed to chargers about 10 times.
Ford deserves to eat a bunch of buybacks with the DTE software update they rolled out this past winter. Ford’s calculator has amnesia every time it is charged. If my driving history is that I only get 1.7 Mi/KWh then the trucks GOM should start by giving me 165 miles of range (SR for me) instead of 240 miles.
I’ve always thought this update is almost criminally irresponsible.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Ford deserves to eat a bunch of buybacks with the DTE software update they rolled out this past winter. Ford’s calculator has amnesia every time it is charged. If my driving history is that I only get 1.7 Mi/KWh then the trucks GOM should start by giving me 165 miles of range (SR for me) instead of 240 miles.
I’ve always thought this update is almost criminally irresponsible.
That DTE update was total trash!

Sponsored
OP
OP

69kWh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
The listing disappeared today which means someone probably bought it. The Charlotte one is still available for now.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
the Carfax shows it as Ford buying it back because of the wiper motor, I think that's really all it is. Could someone have demanded that Ford rebuy the truck because the wiper motor didn't work and maybe they couldn't get it repaired quick enough?
Yes. It doesn't matter how small the issue is. If they are unwilling/unable to fix it within the time window allowed by a state's respective "lemon" laws, they have to buy it back or or replace the vehicle. There were quite a few buy-backs across the industry over the past year or so with all the parts shortages. Dealerships had their hands tied when they couldn't get common parts/components. It seems silly that a wiper motor would cause this and that should never have happened, but the motors just weren't available, so here we are.

This truck could be a great deal if someone is willing to put in the effort to clear up the title mess. But I'd definitely look at the truck more closely and have the dealership provide full diagnostic data and other info. Those wiper motors are available now and it's odd to see the dealership not fixing the truck, clearing the title and selling it for proper market value.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
without seeing the title, and actually how it is titled, at least if it has the words "Salvage" or "Rebuilt", it's hard to know that just because a carfax report 'says' that it may have that type of title, it's hard to know for sure.
In Georgia, at least, there is no way to 'clean up' or 'change' any past 'Salvage' or 'Rebuilt' title, once that wording has landing on the title. Since every title must pass thru the state's hands, THEY will always know the history, and therefore no matter even if the wording is somehow left off of the title, even by accident, the data within the state's computers will pick it up as either Salvage or Rebuilt. I ran into this myself on another vehicle.
I, personally, don't mind a REBUILT titled vehicle, IF the vehicle itself is in good order, AND the price has put that into consideration - many times a rebuilt vehicle simply had too much body damage and was 'totalled' by an insurer, who then sold it to a salvage yard(copart, etc), who then auctioned it to a 'rebuilder', who then repaired it, and then ran it thru the state's recertification process, and then had a REBUILT title issued before it was sold to the public.
I've never had any issue getting Insurance for a rebuilt title vehicle, although you'll pay the 'regular' premium for a vehicle without a branded title, but only get a claim or total loss of the value of a 'rebuilt' vehicle... there can be some considerations here, but if it's a 'good' vehicle, it very well may be worth it, especially if you feel you'll own it forever.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I think the terminology is RAV - for manufacturer Re-Aquired Vehicles. CarFax may flag it as a manufacturer LL buyback. It's certainly not salvage or rebuilt when the manufacturer re-aquires it for not being able to timely supply a part like the wiper motor. The price is about $12,000 less than the buyback number, so something must be showing on the title.

mkramer69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Huntley Ford is selling a 2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER for $56k, which is nearly $20k cheaper than everyone else. CarFax is showing that it is a salvage title (buyback) due to "wiper motor failure" and the wiper motor has been replaced since then. It seems too good to be true for a very popular EV to be discounted $20k because of a wiper motor.... what am I missing here?

Huntley Ford listing: https://www.fordhuntley.com/used-in...ightning-48c1cfe60a0e0a9974f34d094b2528b5.htm
Huntley Ford is selling a 2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER for $56k, which is nearly $20k cheaper than everyone else. CarFax is showing that it is a salvage title (buyback) due to "wiper motor failure" and the wiper motor has been replaced since then. It seems too good to be true for a very popular EV to be discounted $20k because of a wiper motor.... what am I missing here?

Huntley Ford listing: https://www.fordhuntley.com/used-in...ightning-48c1cfe60a0e0a9974f34d094b2528b5.htm

The link is dead, but beware of Huntley Ford... my experience with that dealership was very bad.

Sponsored
OP
OP

69kWh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
The link is dead, but beware of Huntley Ford... my experience with that dealership was very bad.
Good to know. Luckily I'm not the one that bought it so we'll probably hear from the new buyer soon about their experience!

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
My daughter lives in Portland. We've done the trip from the Philadelphia area three times in our F150 Lightning ER. Prior to the F150, we did it four times in our Taycan. There are a lot of charging options throughout New England -- there are so many that you can nearly wing it.

Lately, we've been stopping at Electrify America in Stratford, CT and Electrify America at the Auburn mall in Massachusetts. They're both large stations (8 chargers at each), ie plenty of redundancy so that you're likely not waiting in-line.

While we could theoretically push it and do one stop, I like having a little buffer and we used the same two stops when we visited her this past winter (below freezing).

Several of the Maine Rest Stops have the new high speed Chargepoint chargers -- we've used them at the Kennebunk Service plaza.

As of this writing, you'll want to avoid the Electrify America in Scarborough, ME. Last week, they only had one working charger (only the right lead on charger 2). Apparently, the site is scheduled for a redo with EA's new charging hardware. Hence the (profane trade name) cones in this sad picture.

IMG_2289-EDIT.jpg

In downtown Portland, you'll find a nice EVGo setup at the High Street parking lot with four stations, two of which being their new 350s. With an EVGo membership, it's the cheapest DC fast charging that you'll find in Maine.

IMG_2252-EDIT.jpg

Also, if visiting downtown Portland, at the same High St lot, there are four Level 2 Chargepoint hookups that charge $2/hr. Nice downtown parking option that will also add a few miles of range for you.

If you're headed north of Brunswick, ME, your best bet will be car dealer Chargepoint stations, but below that, options certainly exist. Even a little overnight Level 1 charging can be helpul -- we did that with our Taycan at an AirBnB. I've also been lucky to find AirBNBs with 14-50 outlets.

Safe travels!
Wanted to bring this up real quick, made it up to our place in Central Maine with no issues for the most part. Starting the trek back to Delaware on Saturday, so that may be another exciting time lol.

First stop from Wilmington was at the Stratford CT EA station in the McDonalds parking lot; wasn't too bad but was getting 117kW. Between making sure our puppy was fed and walked her around the parking lot a few times it got up to 90% after 50 minutes but since we were busy the entire time it wasn't that big of a deal.

The next stop per the truck was going to be a quick charge at an EVgo station in Sturbridge at a Holiday Inn Express which I couldn't figure out why it wasn't populating on Plugshare...turns out it was because 2 of the 4 were broken. There was a Bolt charging to 100% at one, and of course the one remaining unit needed me to pull in at a 45* angle blocking one spot which then failed out multiple times. Ended up at the Auburn Mall location with the row of brand new 350kW units only to see every single unit was derated to 42kW.

Between the EVgo support mishap and Auburn being derated it added a few steps to the trip.

Also then found out the outlet here wasn't the 14-50 I was told it was so that added some stress 2 days before the trek north :LOL:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
You’d have to go in nice climate and drive slow I was not towing. This truck will only do 180-190 miles hwy range at 75mph. The lower the speed the more the range.
70 mph during spring is 260 miles. I think you should be more conservative, All EV are similar.