• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

300/320 miles of range vs 450+

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’m fairly certain you can get 400 miles if you do all of your driving between 30 and 50mph in 75 degree weather. I get about 325-350 miles out of my Bolt on my commute, which is about 80% low speed highway driving (55-60mph). I’ll hopefully have my Lightning by the end of June and i’ll be able to tell how it compares to the Bolt in terms of efficiency above the EPA rating.

I imagine most people will see 250-300 per charge on the ER battery. 150-250 in the winter, depending how cold winter is where you are.
Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Once people get their trucks the forum will be flooded with people complaining/asking why their range estimator doesn’t read EXACTLY 230/300/320 miles. “Is there something wrong with my truck?”

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Once people get their trucks the forum will be flooded with people complaining/asking why their range estimator doesn’t read EXACTLY 230/300/320 miles. “Is there something wrong with my truck?”
Everyone who starts a thread like that should be banned immediately. :D

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You betcha!

I am forum moderator for a Honda EV/PHEV/FCV message board and every time someone gets less than the "stated range", they want to complain it's a defect, or their battery is bad or even sue the manufacturer for being misled, etc....

You never hear about the ones who get more than the stated range.

I am lucky to be in a warm climate area and never got below the stated range - always got more - 100%-125% range everyday - even in the winter because we don't get winters here...

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I beg to differ on acceleration.
Jack rabbit starts, hard acceleration and high speeds all degrade range.
In my PHEV driving pure EV mode, my range seriously degrades driving like I do in my BMW.

However driving slowly off the line, gradual speed increases and generally like an "old man" retains a lot more charge in my PHEV.

After 4 years driving mostly in EV mode, I have learned quite a lot about changing my driving style in order to gain as much range as possible.

Probably why I don't have range anxiety like a lot of first timers and chose a standard range battery for my LIghtning.

Can't wait to try hypermiling the Lightning.
That's not been my EV experience. Hoon all you want up to the normal speed for whatever road you're on and range is the same. Just stay off the friction brakes as they throw away all that kinetic energy into wasted heat instead of letting the motors put it back into the battery. This is great because you can enjoy the acceleration without having to compromise economy.

High speeds, whether you achieve them quickly or gradually, will kill range though.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I will make it a point to be first to respond with the following:

“Yes. The battery starts degrading immediately upon installation but that’s an abnormal amount of degradation. Best to sell it and wait for them to work out the kinks”

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I will make it a point to be first to respond with the following:

“Yes. The battery starts degrading immediately upon installation but that’s an abnormal amount of degradation. Best to sell it and wait for them to work out the kinks”

"I knew this would happen! Ford doesn't know what they're doing, sell it now before everyone realizes electric trucks suck!"

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
"I knew this would happen! Ford doesn't know what they're doing, sell it now before everyone realizes electric trucks suck!"
And we all know nobody is going to pay retail price for a defective truck. I’ll be generous and offer you 20% below MSRP for it.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
To me this is totally an issue with the dealer not educating the customer on the operation of the vehicle. Possibly because they themselves are not educated. Another examp is plugging the lightning into a 350kw Dcfc station will gain nothing so we should use the 150kw connectors and leave the 350 for vehicles that can charge at faster rates. However I can assure you that people will see many many lightning and mach-e and id4 plugged in at the 350 because they just don't know that their vehicle cannot accept the full amount, they just know that higher is faster so they will chose the highest available.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
To me this is totally an issue with the dealer not educating the customer on the operation of the vehicle. Possibly because they themselves are not educated. Another examp is plugging the lightning into a 350kw Dcfc station will gain nothing so we should use the 150kw connectors and leave the 350 for vehicles that can charge at faster rates. However I can assure you that people will see many many lightning and mach-e and id4 plugged in at the 350 because they just don't know that their vehicle cannot accept the full amount, they just know that higher is faster so they will chose the highest available.

I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part but, to be fair, the Lightning will charge over 150kW. If I pull into an EA station at 10% and the 350 is open I'm going to use it.

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
This is why I shun 87 octane and only put 100+ octane in my ICE vehicles. Everyone knows octane=power.

What is that? Sounds like someone knocking... or not...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part but, to be fair, the Lightning will charge over 150kW. If I pull into an EA station at 10% and the 350 is open I'm going to use it.
Fair...I thought it topped out at 150, my mistake.
However I will also argue that the 155 peak of the ER isn't far enough over to matter.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Fair...I thought it topped out at 150, my mistake.
However I will also argue that the 155 peak of the ER isn't far enough over to matter.
I agree it’s not a huge deal but if i pull in at low charge i want to get the best charge rate possible.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part but, to be fair, the Lightning will charge over 150kW. If I pull into an EA station at 10% and the 350 is open I'm going to use
Charging etiquette would frown on this. Save the 350 stations for cars that can actually use it. You're likely to get a smidge above 150kw at most EA 150 stations anyways (if the truck asks for it).

Kyle from out of spec also noted that many 350kw are no different than 150kw chargers for 400volt architectures, so the only systems that benefit from them are 800v systems.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Charging etiquette would frown on this. Save the 350 stations for cars that can actually use it. You're likely to get a smidge above 150kw at most EA 150 stations anyways (if the truck asks for it).

Kyle from out of spec also noted that many 350kw are no different than 150kw chargers for 400volt architectures, so the only systems that benefit from them are 800v systems.
I don't agree with this, so called, "charging etiquette". I'm going to use the charger that can deliver the maximum charge my vehicle can take. If someone in a Taycan rolls up, and asks nicely, I'll let them use it.
Sponsored