• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Thanks for writing. Good to know it is almost trouble free and the tires last so long!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
The person that cuts my hair said....."I would never get an Electric Vehicle, because those batteries throw off a lot of lithium dust, and it is very toxic. It will make you really sick." Palm to face.
hmmm....next time you might want to point out that the packs are air tight and armored to prevent any air from getting into them.

If you really want to mess with their head, you can tell them that lithium can be found in the soils of nearly every part of the planet that humans can live in. (it is the 25th most common element at about 20 milligrams per kilogram of the earths crust.)

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Thanks for writing. Good to know it is almost trouble free and the tires last so long!
Speaking of tires, hit something on the highway going to dinner last night, cut the side wall right by the tread. No patching that. Unfortunately, I've got to call around to find the OEM General tire. Such is life.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
hmmm....next time you might want to point out that the packs are air tight and armored to prevent any air from getting into them.

If you really want to mess with their head, you can tell them that lithium can be found in the soils of nearly every part of the planet that humans can live in. (it is the 25th most common element at about 20 milligrams per kilogram of the earths crust.)
I actually do know those facts about Lithium, but I realized at the time it was a waste of my time to point that out to her. Some people (my brother) still think if you charge your EV in New York State you are using electricity generated by dirty coal fired plants. When in fact, NY State has 0.0 coal fired generating plants. They have all been closed. insert face plam here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR Lightning Lariat
Really great 50k recap @Helium! I just past 12k recently and really only have a couple of observations w/ my truck (a standard range lariat '22):

The good:
  • 95%. It fits nearly of all of our household needs and expectations of the truck. We beat the heck out of it. It sleeps outside. It's used like a truck. We live down a dirt road. Im not a contractor or a farmer but get a ton of use out of having the bed and frunk for all our outdoor activities, DIY projects around our house
  • Winter life a non-issue: We live in a northern coastal climate. Mild winters but still can be cold AF and windchills. Drove all over the state this winter – and never encountered issues that complicated our travel plans. The electric charging access I found adequate for our needs and there seems to be a new charging area popping up every few months since we got the truck. We have charpoints all of the place w/ the slower end 'fast chargers' (65khw) but they do the trick fine. We drive up to mountains a ton for skiing and never had a bad experience.
  • The standard battery: is TOTALLY adequate for 95% of our life! I haven't done any long out of state trips though. 70% of our driving is localish @ rural area speeds.
    Real-world summer months range (60s -80s): 210 – 245miles @ 2.2 – 2.8 kwh/mi
    Real-world winter month range (15s-30s): 175 - 190miles @ 1.7 – 2.0 kwh/Mi
  • Electric Savings: We charge our truck 90% at home. Now that we're back in the sunnier months and have solar on our home, we paid ZERO in electric bills the last month!!! Home is fully electric everything including heatpumps, so I'm stoked about this. (fwiw – in the winter months where we weren't generating as much solar, our bill could be up to $300ish – but keep in mind, thats for EVERYTHING in our home)
The bad (very small "bads")
  • Tailgate lightbar water: got the fishbowl tailgate light bar issue. Somehow water gets in there, in some instances. Theres a thread on this issue w/ other owners who have experienced this. Local Ford dealer fixed/replaced this issue pretty quickly by swapping out the entire tailgate light bar (which includes the backup camera as well). Just poor installation seal, I guess at factory? who knows.
  • AirDam Error: I have experienced the air-dam error. Techs have looked at it a couple times and can't seem to clear out the error nor recreate the issue. Happens only occasionally but sorta annoying. Dealer tech anticipated that it had everything to do w/ software and anticipates ford potentially sending an update out.

cc: @Ford Motor Company

Random Funny Tip: I keep a 30 foot 240/40A extension cord w/ multiple outlet adaptors that would fit most home-dryer outlets JUST in case I ever found myself in precarious charging emergency. I've never had to use it though –– it's mostly for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Really great 50k recap @Helium! I just past 12k recently and really only have a couple of observations w/ my truck (a standard range lariat '22):

The good:
  • 95%. It fits nearly of all of our household needs and expectations of the truck. We beat the heck out of it. It sleeps outside. It's used like a truck. We live down a dirt road. Im not a contractor or a farmer but get a ton of use out of having the bed and frunk for all our outdoor activities, DIY projects around our house
  • Winter life a non-issue: We live in a northern coastal climate. Mild winters but still can be cold AF and windchills. Drove all over the state this winter – and never encountered issues that complicated our travel plans. The electric charging access I found adequate for our needs and there seems to be a new charging area popping up every few months since we got the truck. We have charpoints all of the place w/ the slower end 'fast chargers' (65khw) but they do the trick fine. We drive up to mountains a ton for skiing and never had a bad experience.
  • The standard battery: is TOTALLY adequate for 95% of our life! I haven't done any long out of state trips though. 70% of our driving is localish @ rural area speeds.
    Real-world summer months range (60s -80s): 210 – 245miles @ 2.2 – 2.8 kwh/mi
    Real-world winter month range (15s-30s): 175 - 190miles @ 1.7 – 2.0 kwh/Mi
  • Electric Savings: We charge our truck 90% at home. Now that we're back in the sunnier months and have solar on our home, we paid ZERO in electric bills the last month!!! Home is fully electric everything including heatpumps, so I'm stoked about this. (fwiw – in the winter months where we weren't generating as much solar, our bill could be up to $300ish – but keep in mind, thats for EVERYTHING in our home)
The bad (very small "bads")
  • Tailgate lightbar water: got the fishbowl tailgate light bar issue. Somehow water gets in there, in some instances. Theres a thread on this issue w/ other owners who have experienced this. Local Ford dealer fixed/replaced this issue pretty quickly by swapping out the entire tailgate light bar (which includes the backup camera as well). Just poor installation seal, I guess at factory? who knows.
  • AirDam Error: I have experienced the air-dam error. Techs have looked at it a couple times and can't seem to clear out the error nor recreate the issue. Happens only occasionally but sorta annoying. Dealer tech anticipated that it had everything to do w/ software and anticipates ford potentially sending an update out.

cc: @Ford Motor Company

Random Funny Tip: I keep a 30 foot 240/40A extension cord w/ multiple outlet adaptors that would fit most home-dryer outlets JUST in case I ever found myself in precarious charging emergency. I've never had to use it though –– it's mostly for peace of mind.
Sounds like you are getting everything you need out it! Good Deal.

Recently spoke to a Platinum owner with the SR battery. He lives a few miles from me. He has gotten really good at sqeezing every last electron out of the battery because the chargers are few and far between in our area.

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I actually do know those facts about Lithium, but I realized at the time it was a waste of my time to point that out to her. Some people (my brother) still think if you charge your EV in New York State you are using electricity generated by dirty coal fired plants. When in fact, NY State has 0.0 coal fired generating plants. They have all been closed. insert face plam here.
That is so funny.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Speaking of tires, hit something on the highway going to dinner last night, cut the side wall right by the tread. No patching that. Unfortunately, I've got to call around to find the OEM General tire. Such is life.
I bought a tire recently through my local Ford dealer so that my spare matched the four tires and wheels on the ground. My truck is a Lariat.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Recently spoke to a Platinum owner with the SR battery.
All Plati's come with ER batteries, no SR's for them high rollers ..... LOL

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I bought a tire recently through my local Ford dealer so that my spare matched the four tires and wheels on the ground. My truck is a Lariat.
What did that cost you?

Sponsored

Webbo85

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2002 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Mech Engineer
What did that cost you?
I had to replace a tire after 3000 miles, screw in the shoulder. $330 from the dealership all in.

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I had to replace a tire after 3000 miles, screw in the shoulder. $330 from the dealership all in.
Just ordered 4 new tires from TireRack and having a local place install them for $1,085 all in. I am definitely replacing the other 3 non-damaged tires early but decided to do it anyway.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Just ordered 4 new tires from TireRack and having a local place install them for $1,085 all in. I am definitely replacing the other 3 non-damaged tires early but decided to do it anyway.
Did you stick with your stock tire?

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Did you stick with your stock tire?
Yes, for my use case, all season highway tire is best and up until I got the gash in the sidewall I have had zero problems with them. I haven't seen anyone so far say a change in tires would increase range, it is always a slight to significant reduction. If you know of anything better, please tell me.
Sponsored