• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any update on a Trailer TMPS system?

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Hi all. Huge thanks to GChurch for your contributions. I got my harness today and wanted to give a quick update. I will try to get some pics and a bit more comprehensive comments later in the week.

Overall quite straightforward following GChurch’s steps. It is very handy to have the new harness to see how the connectors work. Worst part was squeezing the big harness connecter past some other harnesses and connectors for Propower/etc. Took me about 1.5 hrs to swap the harnesses.

The dual exhaust harness mentioned here (ML3Z-13A576-TFA) is indeed slightly different than what came off from a single exhaust. The dual exhaust harness has a little bracket for going over the bumper exhaust that is easily peeled off. You could easily salvage two of the little push-pins off the old harness and use another two from the trailer camera kit to make it like OEM (or use good old zip ties, which is what I have for now while testing). Electrically and wire length wise it works perfectly for me.

My truck is a Job 1 (Feb 2021) build King Ranch, PowerBoost, Max Tow, 360 cam, Blue Cruise Prep. It has OTA update 2.3.0. I needed Forscan to activate AuxCam, AuxCam in motion, and Trailer TPMS. I’ve tested the camera, it works great in the driveway. Cam works comparable to Job 1 bed cams, shows on left side of screen with 360 on the right. The TPMS also looks to be working (I can access the trailer settings and enter the programming step but won’t have the sensors installed in wheels until new tires come in).

I ordered from FordPartsHub.ca and they got the harness and the trailer kit to me in ~2weeks; if in Canada I’d give them a look.

Thanks again GChurch this is great!
do you have a list of which settings you modified in Forscan?
Sponsored

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F-150 Platinum 6.2
As promised, a bit more on my experience. This post is all about my specific truck (2021 King Ranch 601 Power Boost, Max Tow, 360 Camera, Blue Cruise Prep, built in Feb 2021, OTA update 2.3.0). For pro-trailer back-up, it came only with the yaw sensor (no stickers). When I ordered the truck, I tried to include the trailer TMPS / camera option, but dealer said the order couldn't be placed with that option (in Sep 2020).

About the harnesses
Below is a picture of the ML3Z-13A76-TFA harness lying on top of my old harness. “A” is where the harness connects to the rest of the truck, “B” is the trailer 7 & 12 pin areas, and C&D are the parking sensors at the far ends of the bumper. As you can see the two harnesses are almost identical, except for the far ends near “C” and “D”. It's too bad we have to swap the entire harness when all we need is a few more wires populated from “A” to “B”….all I can think is that some sort of supply chain issue must have forced Ford to not to populate these wires.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? HarnessOverview

This is a close up of the “D” end, you can see there is a plastic bracket for the dual exhaust in the bumper (just taped on) and the two push-pin style on the single exhaust harness. The white one is just taped on and I expect could be transferred. The black one is the style with a built in zip-tie, you could replace with one of same from the trailer kit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? EndClose U

Installing the harness

GChurch’s description is quite comprehensive so I will just add a few photos. This photo is looking towards the trailer hitch with the spare removed. It gives an overall sense of where I spent most of the time, with the letters labeled the same as the harness. On my truck there is a lot of other harnesses nearby (I believe the Orange is related to ProPower, as well as power tailgate, etc). The hardest part was squeezing the big end “A” past this stuff, but slowly and carefully can be done without needing to disassemble anything else.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? InstallOverview

Here’s a quick picture of the D end, where the outer parking sensors connect, and the arrows are where the push-pins are incorrect on the dual exhaust harness….an easy location to get to.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? DEndCloseU

Lastly, here is the 10mm ground for the harness. It is hiding a little bit on the driver side of the frame rail, but easy to get to.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? GroundCloseU

There is a lot of prying out of push-pins to be done, I used a wide plastic interior trim tool to avoid damaging any coatings.

Activating with FORScan

Unlike GChurch, my truck did not have the AuxCamera showing in the center display nor did it have the Trailer Tire info in the cluster.

I won’t attempt to offer step-by-step instructions on FORScan. There is an excellent thread on it here. My advice is to very carefully study the FORScan spreadsheet in comparison to your current values, and make sure it makes sense which features you have already and what you are trying to add. And keep careful records and double check before writing any changes. Please don’t copy my values without verifying them for your use, I am a novice with FORScan!

My truck didn’t have the Hitch Camera, or Cameras at speed, so I enabled those as well as the Aux and Aux at speed all at once with these changes:

IPMA 706-02-02 xxxF CExx xx--
APIM 7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx Fx--
APIM 7D0-01-02 Axxx xxxx xx--
APIM 7D0-01-04 xxxx FCxx xx--

To activate the Trailer TPMS I changed the value in the cluster that I saw for the Super Duty and in the F-150 spreadsheet.
IPC 720-09-01 xx6x xxxx xx--

After those changes, the Aux Camera works and works in motion. In my quick use the trailer camera is about the same quality / function as the bed camera. The trailer TPMS seems to working as well, but I have only gotten as far as initiating the programing as I don’t have the sensors mounted inside trailer tires yet.

Trailer Kit

I ordered and tested kit LC3Z-1A189-A. It came with the 12pin trailer harness, TPMS module and 4 wheel sensors, trailer camera, and some odds and ends only needed for a Super Duty. There have been some questions about if the yaw sensor can plug into this harness, and yes the harness in this kit has three sensor connectors:

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? TrailerHarness

How could this go wrong?

One worry I had was that some of the upstream wiring going to the cab might not be there. To address this, one thing I did before I started removing anything was to get up close to the other side of the big connector (upstream side of “A”) to see how well it was populated and compared it to the pins in GChurch’s post. Below is what mine looks like, and as you can see it has most of the pins populated. You could drop your spare and have a look to see before ordering a harness….if you see quite a few less wires populated, the bumper harness alone may not do what you want for your truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? TruckSide

Overall
I'm very pleased with how this turned out and hope this helps others. Many thanks again to GChurch, really appreciate you sharing your experience it was critical for me giving it a try. I am very much looking forward to getting rid of the complexity of my aftermarket TPMS and Camera for this camping season!

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? DEndCloseU

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? HarnessOverview

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As promised, a bit more on my experience. This post is all about my specific truck (2021 King Ranch 601 Power Boost, Max Tow, 360 Camera, Blue Cruise Prep, built in Feb 2021, OTA update 2.3.0). For pro-trailer back-up, it came only with the yaw sensor (no stickers). When I ordered the truck, I tried to include the trailer TMPS / camera option, but dealer said the order couldn't be placed with that option (in Sep 2020).

About the harnesses
Below is a picture of the ML3Z-13A76-TFA harness lying on top of my old harness. “A” is where the harness connects to the rest of the truck, “B” is the trailer 7 & 12 pin areas, and C&D are the parking sensors at the far ends of the bumper. As you can see the two harnesses are almost identical, except for the far ends near “C” and “D”. It's too bad we have to swap the entire harness when all we need is a few more wires populated from “A” to “B”….all I can think is that some sort of supply chain issue must have forced Ford to not to populate these wires.

HarnessOverview.jpg

This is a close up of the “D” end, you can see there is a plastic bracket for the dual exhaust in the bumper (just taped on) and the two push-pin style on the single exhaust harness. The white one is just taped on and I expect could be transferred. The black one is the style with a built in zip-tie, you could replace with one of same from the trailer kit.

EndClose Up.jpg

Installing the harness

GChurch’s description is quite comprehensive so I will just add a few photos. This photo is looking towards the trailer hitch with the spare removed. It gives an overall sense of where I spent most of the time, with the letters labeled the same as the harness. On my truck there is a lot of other harnesses nearby (I believe the Orange is related to ProPower, as well as power tailgate, etc). The hardest part was squeezing the big end “A” past this stuff, but slowly and carefully can be done without needing to disassemble anything else.

InstallOverview.jpg

Here’s a quick picture of the D end, where the outer parking sensors connect, and the arrows are where the push-pins are incorrect on the dual exhaust harness….an easy location to get to.

DEndCloseUp.jpg

Lastly, here is the 10mm ground for the harness. It is hiding a little bit on the driver side of the frame rail, but easy to get to.

GroundCloseUp.jpg

There is a lot of prying out of push-pins to be done, I used a wide plastic interior trim tool to avoid damaging any coatings.

Activating with FORScan

Unlike GChurch, my truck did not have the AuxCamera showing in the center display nor did it have the Trailer Tire info in the cluster.

I won’t attempt to offer step-by-step instructions on FORScan. There is an excellent thread on it here. My advice is to very carefully study the FORScan spreadsheet in comparison to your current values, and make sure it makes sense which features you have already and what you are trying to add. And keep careful records and double check before writing any changes. Please don’t copy my values without verifying them for your use, I am a novice with FORScan!

My truck didn’t have the Hitch Camera, or Cameras at speed, so I enabled those as well as the Aux and Aux at speed all at once with these changes:

To activate the Trailer TPMS I changed the value in the cluster that I saw for the Super Duty and in the F-150 spreadsheet.

After those changes, the Aux Camera works and works in motion. In my quick use the trailer camera is about the same quality / function as the bed camera. The trailer TPMS seems to working as well, but I have only gotten as far as initiating the programing as I don’t have the sensors mounted inside trailer tires yet.

Trailer Kit

I ordered and tested kit LC3Z-1A189-A. It came with the 12pin trailer harness, TPMS module and 4 wheel sensors, trailer camera, and some odds and ends only needed for a Super Duty. There have been some questions about if the yaw sensor can plug into this harness, and yes the harness in this kit has three sensor connectors:

TrailerHarness.jpg

How could this go wrong?

One worry I had was that some of the upstream wiring going to the cab might not be there. To address this, one thing I did before I started removing anything was to get up close to the other side of the big connector (upstream side of “A”) to see how well it was populated and compared it to the pins in GChurch’s post. Below is what mine looks like, and as you can see it has most of the pins populated. You could drop your spare and have a look to see before ordering a harness….if you see quite a few less wires populated, the bumper harness alone may not do what you want for your truck.

TruckSide.jpg

Overall
I'm very pleased with how this turned out and hope this helps others. Many thanks again to GChurch, really appreciate you sharing your experience it was critical for me giving it a try. I am very much looking forward to getting rid of the complexity of my aftermarket TPMS and Camera for this camping season!

DEndCloseUp.jpg

HarnessOverview.jpg
Excellent Writeup thanks

kcmarvin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Thank you all for this informative thread.
I purchased an older tpms/camera kit which did not have the trailer wiring harness with a yaw sensor plug. I found the below link that describes how to add the yaw sensor plug to a trailer wiring harness that does not have the plug. You only have to transfer two pins into the plug and then tape the wires into the loom.
2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem - Page 14 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com)
The description is 3/4 of the way down the page.
By replacing the rear wire harness in my F150 and wiring my current yaw sensor into the older trailer harness I will have a yaw/tpms/camera setup that works the same as the newer kits.

Sponsored

ThunderCore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 powerboost

About the harnesses

HarnessOverview.jpg

EndClose Up.jpg

Installing the harness

InstallOverview.jpg

DEndCloseUp.jpg

GroundCloseUp.jpg

Activating with FORScan

Trailer Kit

TrailerHarness.jpg

How could this go wrong?

TruckSide.jpg

Overall

DEndCloseUp.jpg

HarnessOverview.jpg

The wiring harness that you wanted was "ml3t-13a576-akb" You could also give the dealer "ML3Z13A576j" it would be specifically made for your vehicle.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
The wiring harness that you wanted was "ml3t-13a576-akb" You could also give the dealer "ML3Z13A576j" it would be specifically made for your vehicle.
Hey @ThunderCore ,

How are you figuring out the part numbers for these wiring assemblies?

If I understand correctly the part number @GChurch gave up thread was for a dual exhaust, which most of us don't have. How can we determine the correct wiring assemblies for our trucks?

Thanks,

-Eric

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey @ThunderCore ,

If I understand correctly the part number @GChurch gave up thread was for a dual exhaust, which most of us don't have. How can we determine the correct wiring assemblies for our trucks?

Thanks,

-Eric
I had my parts guy look up a 2022 truck setup identical to mine to get the correct part number

ThunderCore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 powerboost
Hey @ThunderCore ,

Thanks,

-Eric

I called the service department and told them I didn't have my VIN however I know all the features that my truck had. He asked a series of questions on what features my truck has. After that the system told him what wiring harness was applicable to my vehicle. I have since ordered and installed the new wiring harness. It is a perfect fit for a 21 power-boost single-sided exhaust.

I did also contact a second dealership and got the exact same part numbers.

ThunderCore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 powerboost
Here are the photos I can give you a better angle after it stops raining if necessary

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153534
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153516
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153456
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153439
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153430
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153415
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153411
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153404
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153354
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153350
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153346
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153342
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 20220413_153337

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
That all looks great!

What part number did you install?

Thanks,

-Eric

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Lightning, Model S Plaid, 3 & Y, e-Golf
Occupation
Consultant
The last reply to this post was this past spring. Just curious if anyone has any updates. I have a 2022 Lightning and the Ford dealership is telling me nothing is compatible with it Even if it does have Trailer Tire Pressure and Wireless camera display options on the Sync 4 system.
Sponsored