• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any update on a Trailer TMPS system?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The only knowledge I have is what I learned from searching for parts and reading other internet sources. Take it with a grain of salt.
Fair enough, I suspected that (no worries, you're obviously not alone in that regard), but appreciate the full disclosure.

@GChurch's posts, clearly based on first-hand experience, have been particularly useful I'm sure you'll agree .... and I hope he continues to explore the F150 temp monitoring possibilities with updates on that in this thread, too. If not, I'll be pursuing the temp monitoring issue with a vengeance once I get my new truck and will report back.

I currently use an aftermarket EezTire TPMS+Temp Monitoring System to cover both my pre-TPMS 2005 F150 and my 5th wheel RV. It works great and I'm glad to have it, but I'm really looking forward to the 2022 Ford integrated setup, I much prefer the internal wheel sensors and will love elimination of the additional display in the truck.

I don't use a trailer-mounted rear cam now but also look forward to that integrated feature. I'm not hung-up on image quality or night vision as some seem to be - I don't anticipate 'studying the image' - as long as I can glance and see what's basically going on behind me that's hidden from the excellent view with the extended Trailer Tow mirrors (my 5th wheel RV is only 7'4" wide) that'll be welcome enough.

Just for grins, here's my current rig with the 2005 F150 XLT 5.4L 2WD; this rig tows like a dream and will only be better with the updated F150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 I'm sure:
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 2005 F150 RV RIG

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? R IMG_1574
Sponsored

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the link, I'd not seen that thread.

So, implicitly the sole purpose of either the sensor or the stickers is backup assist and nothing else?

BTW, in your analysis you state the sensor "Works on a 5th wheel/gooseneck"; I respectfully submit that is incorrect because backup assist does not work for 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers due to the system not knowing how to deal with the hitch pivot point being significantly different from that of a 'bumper-pull' trailer. The result is very different backing 'geometry/directional response to steering inputs' compared to a 'bumper-pull' trailer; it may give lines and guidance if installed on a 5th wheel but they won't be meaningful or really useful for backing the trailer accurately. Have you found different based on your own hands-on experience with a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer?

FWIW the context of my interest is owning 3 trailers (two bumper-pull flatbed utility and one 5th wheel RV). I'm wanting to install the integrated TPMS+rear cam on my 5th wheel RV. I see no need for a kit including the Yaw Sensor module for that application?
Interesting! I know I've seen videos specifically for the yaw sensor on a 5th wheel. Based on what you're saying, I'm guessing that F150's don't know how? Because definitely the Superdutys can do it based on this Ford video:

They seem to have the trailer connector in the bed rather than bumper.

So the SENSOR can work on a 5th wheel but likely F150's cannot figure out the right pivot point. Learn something new every day!

Should be obvious (by now) that I have not done it myself. Just was basing on what I'd seen in videos.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Interesting! I know I've seen videos specifically for the yaw sensor on a 5th wheel. Based on what you're saying, I'm guessing that F150's don't know how? Because definitely the Superdutys can do it based on this Ford video ....
Interesting indeed, so you prompted me to dig further ((y) a good thing). Obviously I've no hands-on experience with this either!

My initial comment and understanding were based on this in the 2022 F150 Owner's Manual:
Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? Pages from 2022 Ford F-150 Owners-Manual version-1

The above is the full extent of reference to 5th-wheel and gooseneck trailers in the F150 Owner's Manual (saying they are a 'no-go' with Trailer Backup Assist :cry:)

BUT, when I look at the 2022 SuperDuty Owner's Manual, I find an entire additional section titled
"SETTING UP THE TRAILER BACKUP ASSISTANCE FOR A FIFTH-WHEEL OR GOOSENECK TRAILER" (o_O)!

SO, the question is begged - why 'No' for F150 but 'Yes' for F250+ :unsure: ?

Yes, further investigation is warranted by we 5th-wheel owners ... Is this a hardware matter, a software / programming matter, or simply an omission on Ford's part in the F150 Owner's Manual? IF a programming matter, might FORScan offer a solution?

Lots unanswered at the moment methinks, and I realize the number of folks that pull 'fivers' or goosenecks with an F150 is relatively few, so I may be on my own in pursuing this particular niche interest. Again, that's not gonna happen until I have my 2022 F150 for a 'test bed'.

In any case, thanks @daemonic3 for persisting to prompt the questions!

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
Fair enough, I suspected that (no worries, you're obviously not alone in that regard), but appreciate the full disclosure.

@GChurch's posts, clearly based on first-hand experience, have been particularly useful I'm sure you'll agree .... and I hope he continues to explore the F150 temp monitoring possibilities with updates on that in this thread, too. If not, I'll be pursuing the temp monitoring issue with a vengeance once I get my new truck and will report back.

I currently use an aftermarket EezTire TPMS+Temp Monitoring System to cover both my pre-TPMS 2005 F150 and my 5th wheel RV. It works great and I'm glad to have it, but I'm really looking forward to the 2022 Ford integrated setup, I much prefer the internal wheel sensors and will love elimination of the additional display in the truck.

I don't use a trailer-mounted rear cam now but also look forward to that integrated feature. I'm not hung-up on image quality or night vision as some seem to be - I don't anticipate 'studying the image' - as long as I can glance and see what's basically going on behind me that's hidden from the excellent view with the extended Trailer Tow mirrors (my 5th wheel RV is only 7'4" wide) that'll be welcome enough.

Just for grins, here's my current rig with the 2005 F150 XLT 5.4L 2WD; this rig tows like a dream and will only be better with the updated F150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 I'm sure:
2005 F150 RV RIG.png

R IMG_1574.jpg
Just a quick hello from A fellow ‘almost Escape’ owner. Got a 5.0 on order, ETA Jan ’24, lol. Ordering my truck this week. XLT, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Supercab. Should hopefully get the truck before the 5.0, haha.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Just got off the phone with my local parts and he is saying that this wiring harness is out of stock....EVERYWHERE? I find that hard to believe, but has anyone ordered in the last couple of days?

Also, has anyone with a new-build 2022 and the wiring harness with 8 pins populated checked the part number of the harness? Checking on a couple online Ford parts websites it shows the harness listed above as 'compatible' with 2021-2022 F150's...so I'm wondering if it is in fact the same harness on newer builds.
I just ordered that part number for the cable last week and also had him confirm that is the correct part number. I looked online to find a vin number of a new 2022 F150 setup like mine for him to compare with.

He said it was availble then and should have it this week.

Sponsored

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
I want to be absolutely sure of this before I purchase the mentioned Ford wiring harness and the Ford TPMS & camera kit. Is this plug-and-play for a 2021 job 1 (June 8 2021 build) F150 Limited with standard equipment - 360 degree camera and standard Tow Technology Package with Sway Control Module (not Max Tow)? Thanks for the confirmation.
It should be plug and play. Based on your questions and a few other people, I’m attaching some videos to show you what menus I see without trailer attached. If you see the same options in your menu then all the info and experiences thus far indicate the camera and wire kit will just work. If you don’t see the menu options in your build 1, take it to ford dealer and make them update your software. You probably can’t receive OTA (over-the-air updates) because your software version is too early.

Adding this again for other 2021 owners reading, who realized they needed upgraded f150 smart-trailer wire harness. if you don’t have DUAL REAR EXHAUST IN BUMPER you need to call your parts department and find the correct part, it will not match the one I gave you and is a different harness ending in something other than “tfa”. They have the descriptions, make them read all of them to you.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I’m not ford, so I can’t guarantee anything about the manufacturing process of these trucks. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself take it to a mechanic or see if you can talk your dealership into doing it (doubtful).

Videos show
1) how the trailer menu can be opened in digital gauge display
2) how the trailer menu can be customized for “MyView” to add trailer tpms to your default display
3) The trailer video camera option, that shows a blue screen when no trailer video camera is attached.

Picture Show: my software version

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? FCFB0FD2-E33D-4D44-B600-DE18194318C7

Attachments

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I just ordered that part number for the cable last week and also had him confirm that is the correct part number. I looked online to find a vin number of a new 2022 F150 setup like mine for him to compare with.

He said it was availble then and should have it this week.
Can you post that cable part no.?

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
Interesting indeed, so you prompted me to dig further ((y) a good thing). Obviously I've no hands-on experience with this either!

My initial comment and understanding were based on this in the 2022 F150 Owner's Manual:
Pages from 2022 Ford F-150 Owners-Manual version-1.png

The above is the full extent of reference to 5th-wheel and gooseneck trailers in the F150 Owner's Manual (saying they are a 'no-go' with Trailer Backup Assist :cry:)

BUT, when I look at the 2022 SuperDuty Owner's Manual, I find an entire additional section titled
"SETTING UP THE TRAILER BACKUP ASSISTANCE FOR A FIFTH-WHEEL OR GOOSENECK TRAILER" (o_O)!

SO, the question is begged - why 'No' for F150 but 'Yes' for F250+ :unsure: ?

Yes, further investigation is warranted by we 5th-wheel owners ... Is this a hardware matter, a software / programming matter, or simply an omission on Ford's part in the F150 Owner's Manual? IF a programming matter, might FORScan offer a solution?

In any case, thanks @daemonic3 for persisting to prompt the questions!
When I select gooseneck and set it up in my menu, I see this happening. Also it’s missing under manage trailer section between trailer gain and blind spot options.

Looks like forscan might be required to enable pro trailer backup assist with gooseneck on the 150. OR you need the additional trailer connector in the truck bed. If anyone adds that I’d be curious if it automatically starts working.
Oh well, for me not an issue.

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 6FC50EA4-E488-4CE7-A74C-7BB25E3537AB

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 9A413626-7600-44E2-9233-D42EC962BD74

Ford F-150 Lightning Any update on a Trailer TMPS system? 055C2248-2380-46D1-8656-8E1ED714E238

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
When I select gooseneck and set it up in my menu, I see this happening. Also it’s missing under manage trailer section between trailer gain and blind spot options.
Thank You for sharing that info. Honestly, having 5th wheel backup assist on the F150 is nothing I expected as a possibility, so I doubt I'll pursue this much at all. I'm loath to use FORScan for anything other than well-tested-and-proven minor tweaks (like adding numeric value readouts for the tranny temp display).

But I will be following any updates you post regarding temperature on the trailer tires with great interest - that's a feature I would certainly like to have and might be willing to venture deeper with FORScan to gain if necessary.

Thanks again for all the great info you are sharing here! (y) :)

maecomotorsport

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited
Occupation
Race Car Fabrication
It should be plug and play. Based on your questions and a few other people, I’m attaching some videos to show you what menus I see without trailer attached. If you see the same options in your menu then all the info and experiences thus far indicate the camera and wire kit will just work. If you don’t see the menu options in your build 1, take it to ford dealer and make them update your software. You probably can’t receive OTA (over-the-air updates) because your software version is too early.

Adding this again for other 2021 owners reading, who realized they needed upgraded f150 smart-trailer wire harness. if you don’t have DUAL REAR EXHAUST IN BUMPER you need to call your parts department and find the correct part, it will not match the one I gave you and is a different harness ending in something other than “tfa”. They have the descriptions, make them read all of them to you.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I’m not ford, so I can’t guarantee anything about the manufacturing process of these trucks. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself take it to a mechanic or see if you can talk your dealership into doing it (doubtful).

Videos show
1) how the trailer menu can be opened in digital gauge display
2) how the trailer menu can be customized for “MyView” to add trailer tpms to your default display
3) The trailer video camera option, that shows a blue screen when no trailer video camera is attached.

Picture Show: my software version

FCFB0FD2-E33D-4D44-B600-DE18194318C7.jpeg
Ah, I have sync version 20316. I’ve got to figure out how to update it. Thx

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
OK, now I am confused. Upthread you said the cable we needed is: ml3z-13a576-tfa.

Are you now saying we need to order a different cable, and you don't know the part number?

Thanks,

-Eric

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
OK, now I am confused. Upthread you said the cable we needed is: ml3z-13a576-tfa.

Are you now saying we need to order a different cable, and you don't know the part number?

Thanks,

-Eric

There are something like 6 different versions of the harness, depending on your options. My understanding is the biggest difference is if you have single vs dual rear-exhaust. I’ll make a phone call and see if I can’t get the complete list, so everyone can match up their trucks to the correct part needed. ml3z-13a576-tfa supports dual rear exhaust and every other feature from pro trailer backup assist, to blue-cruise, and trailer brake control. If you get a harness that supports more features than your truck has it won’t make any difference, but mounting path will matter to you, which oem exhaust route affects.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
There are something like 6 different versions of the harness, depending on your options. My understanding is the biggest difference is if you have single vs dual rear-exhaust. I’ll make a phone call and see if I can’t get the complete list, so everyone can match up their trucks to the correct part needed. ml3z-13a576-tfa supports dual rear exhaust and every other feature from pro trailer backup assist, to blue-cruise, and trailer brake control. If you get a harness that supports more features than your truck has it won’t make any difference, but mounting path will matter to you, which oem exhaust route affects.
That would be VERY helpful!

I've been looking everywhere and can't find listings with detailed descriptions. :(

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
So for someone who is ignorant of the Ford terminology (read: ME), it sounds like my truck is a Job 1 (bought 2/2/2) Powerboost with Max Tow,Tow Tech, Pro Backup.

So I would need the wiring harness for a single exhaust and get the TPMS Kit for Pro Backup Assist (LC3Z1A189B) to add TPMS only to my current Yaw sensor set up.

Am I on the right track?
[Edited to correct the kit part no.]
Sponsored

Last edited: