• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone else hate the charge port doors?

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
It took some getting used to and I have no issues now but for goodness sakes, why do you even have to learn to use it?
Sponsored

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Lightning, Model S Plaid, 3 & Y, e-Golf
Occupation
Consultant
It’s not a good design or location 4 ft from the front of the truck. I like Rivian’s design much better for location and door usability/fit and finish.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
It’s not a good design or location 4 ft from the front of the truck. I like Rivian’s design much better for location and door usability/fit and finish.
I agree!
Due to the size of this truck, it really needs to be as close to the front as possible. The plastic door feels cheap and the latching mechanism is temperamental. A powered charging door makes it feel premium (e.g. powered frunks and trunks). The better the design, the more subtle it becomes and the less we pay attention to it.

OP
OP

twixr3000

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E / 22 Platinum ER
agree...love my lightning...minus the stupid door

Tonitrus

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Love my Lightning and wife's Mach E, but I think the charge port doors feel cheap.
I think I have closed it (not every time) and get the message that it is not closed...so out i get and close it.
Had a Tesla but I do like these vehicles better, Elon had the charge port door figured out properly.
Ok, all the whining I will do lol
I think the plastic door is fine but it needs a better latch! I have to push it in a couple times before I get it latched. I do like the fact that it won’t rust.

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I think the plastic door is fine but it needs a better latch! I have to push it in a couple times before I get it latched. I do like the fact that it won’t rust.
Agreed, the location is also too far back. Needs to be closer to the front.

Arthuryy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Love my Lightning and wife's Mach E, but I think the charge port doors feel cheap.
I think I have closed it (not every time) and get the message that it is not closed...so out i get and close it.
Had a Tesla but I do like these vehicles better, Elon had the charge port door figured out properly.
Ok, all the whining I will do lol
It's not the strongest, but it's pretty good

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Definitely flimsy, but I've had it for 4 months now and haven't had an issue with it, other than forgetting to close it at 5:30 in the morning because I'm half asleep.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
I love the truck as a whole, but this is a pet peeve. Its a $90k truck after taxes and I get a plastic/manual charge door that requires precision or finesse to close on the first try? Add this in with the cheap feeling gear selector and the upper glove box latching difficulties, and you have the trifecta of cheapness.

I believe all of these plastic parts could be converted to aluminum for a more quality feel/appearance. Maybe the aftermarket will step in and save us.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Will the latch break? Here is a video of a metal replacement of the latching post on a regular F150 gas door:

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I find the charge door INFURIATING. Trying to close the door usually takes several attempts to get it to latch.
I also have trouble opening mine. I've opened mannequins at the dealer and most seem to latch & unlatch easier than mine does. I mentioned it to my dealer once, but they didn't attempt to do anything about it. Anyone know of an adjustment on the latches.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I can close my without issue. I'm 3 months in and have yet to open mine on my first push attempt. I feel like an idiot every time, but it is what it is.
Same here. I've owned mine for over a year and still can't get it opened on the first try. Closing it is also frustrating.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I've only had mine in freezing iced-over weather, and I can say that doesn't make it any better...! Thought I was going to break it trying to get it open
Had to pound on it for over a minute to free it from the ice and get it open. Sad issue on an otherwise awesome product.

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
Too much plastic on the truck, in the exterior trim and charging door. I’m sure every manufacturer does this… on ford trucks this used to be metal!

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Honda Passport
Occupation
Construction Executive
I find it cheap, flimsy feeling, rarely opens on first attempt and never closes. Seems like the worst made part of the whole vehicle. Terrible. Why not just a spring loaded door with a screw on cover for waterprooofing, like a 1984 gas cap... a million better ways they could have done this. Sat at a charger the other day jealous of the plug door on an Ionic 5...
Sponsored