• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apparently EA charging Stations are frying EV cars

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
B
Exactly. "Untimely defects" are more likely to occur on EA than any other CCS network because EA is the largest CCS network in the US by far.

I think these stories are pure clickbait, just like most of the EV fire stories that pop up periodically.
Sorry, but baloney. As a ten-year Tesla owner with over 260k miles on them, lots of road trips and near flawless Supercharger experience, now dealing with EA failures on every single trip, with 12k on my Lightning, unease at never knowing whether an EA charge will initiate, succeed, or crawl, is beyond frustrating. As Kyle says, I cannot in good faith recommend any CCS-based EV at this time to friends or family who must depend on them for road trips. The system truly is that bad.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER+Tow Tech & Max Tow; Anti Matter Blue
Won’t EVGO work just as well and haven’t heard of any issues with their network (that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, it’s just that I haven’t heard/read any). Clarifying so I don’t get flamed.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Won’t EVGO work just as well and haven’t heard of any issues with their network (that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, it’s just that I haven’t heard/read any). Clarifying so I don’t get flamed.
The problem with EvGo is primarily the locations and number of them. They just aren't as numerous as EA(esp in rural and/or travel/interstate locations). The number of 200Kw+ EvGo stations are few compared to 50Kw stations.

Right now on a lot of routes cross-country EA is the ONLY option for DCFC.

**This may change as EvGo has partnered with Ultium/GM and Pilot to bring 350Kw chargers to Pilot/Flying J truck stops

FWIW in the few times I have charged with EvGo it has been flawless and P&C(autocharge+) has worked without any issues...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Now you can! I have yet to have an EVgo session that I have been happy with. My RFID card has never worked. Starting from the app usually works, but I have also had to call to get a charge started and I have never gotten a good charging rate (40kW to 60kW max on a 100kW station). Every higher power EVgo station I have ever stopped at has been down (1 for almost a year) and I have to switch to the lower, 100kW, pedestal.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm really terrified of this. I wonder if there were more lightnings on the road, if they would do a recall for whatever the issue is.... with so few, they might have done the math and decided that the failures would be sporadic, allowing them to maybe keep up with replacements as they are needed.
Let's be clear - auto companies have to do recalls when certain thresholds are met, and they're watched by the NHTSA. A cause needs to be established among many other things, and then the safety question answered.

Keep in mind that the Mach-E had a recall due to the potential for the failure of the high voltage battery junction box failing. The recall was to add software that would a) warn of a problem and b) keep the car driveable until it was serviced. A recall of the part, and pulling vehicles off the road, has not happened. So cars keep failing here and there, getting new junction boxes in 1 - 12 weeks, and life goes on.

Stop living in fear. Drive and enjoy life.
Sponsored