• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning EA Charging for EV Dummies

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Expecting my Lightning delivery in Late July, not ever used an EA on-the-road Charge Station (or any other), and starting to plan my first long Break-In Road Trip (from Kentucky down to Charleston, SC), I have a deep hole in my Hillbilly Knowledge (although I can repair a JD Tractor with a Pen Knife and Duct Tape or Castrate a Goat with a rubber band).

I have not been able to find many articles aimed at a Virgin EV Dummy like myself. In my nightmares I envision pulling up to a Charge Station (EA or Otherwise) and spending an hour trying to figure it all out while traffic behind me stacks up! PLEASE do not YELL@ME!

I have my Ford Pass App and I guess I need to link it to a credit card. I do understand how to connect the Charge Cable. But, beyond that, I am clueless. I would guess I have to stay with the truck for up to an hour on a deep charge and munch on a burger or read a boring book?

HELP!
Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Usually there are not people clamouring to charge behind you :)

So you may fail in peace. I spent 15 minutes one morning failing because I was swiping my phone on the wrong thing for payment.

You'll just want to setup and enable plug and charge first.

Then for EA just plug... And charge :)

The only likely issues in the plug and charge setup would be if EA is failing, which usually there is one charger at the station that has some issue. Just disconnect and move to the next one if charging doesn't start within a minute or so.

I would always default to EA, unless the route you took has a large EA gap. If you need to use a non EA charger just setup the app I'm advance.

Use a better route planner to map it if not already.

Lastly after your free credits are up, and if you DC charge a lot. Consider a subscription to EA, depending on how much you use it, it'll save money. But I'm not 100% sure the subscription works with plug ane charge

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Try these two “State of Charge” videos specific to the F-150…..the first one is an overview, the second more specifics applicable to extended trips where you would use fast charging….hope they help….

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
To answer your last point, once it starts charging, no need to stay with the truck. Go find a bathroom, eat a meal, get a snack, go for a walk, etc. You can keep track of the charging via the Fordpass app.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
As long as the station is working properly, it’s no more complicated than self-checkout at the grocery store or self-serve gas stations. Follow the prompts…insert credit card.

That said, it’s often advantageous to use the charge company’s app with your credit card already setup.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
That said, it’s often advantageous to use the charge company’s app with your credit card already setup.
So, Apps To Set Up:
ElectrifyAmerica (To Use Ford's Free KW)
PlugShare
ChargePoint
ABRP

Can you rate these Best to Worse?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Likely one of the most important things you need to know is PLUGSHARE. Web site and phone app. Likely the best resource for finding charging stations of any kind. It may not tell you how to check out on any given platform, but it takes care of step 1, finding you an available charger.

There are some dedicated brands, Chargepoint, you can create accounts there too, just so you are prepared.

ABRP - A Better Route Planner will help you double check the Ford Navigation and plot your path for the best charging options.

If you find yourself in a bind and needing juice - don't overlook the RV parks - they almost all have 14-50 plugs. They aren't L3, but when you need juice you need juice. Most of the know about EV's today and have a fee for a few hour charge.

You are doing the right thing - preparing now. However as others said don't be afraid of the chargers, just be prepared. Create accounts on each of the platforms ahead of time, I will never depend on the Plug and Charge just yet. It works most of the time, but not always and having a dedicated account on EA and each of the others will save you issues down the road.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, Apps To Set Up:
ElectrifyAmerica (To Use Ford's Free KW)
PlugShare
ChargePoint
ABRP

Can you rate these Best to Worse?
I have all of those apps, but there are two different types (general utility, vs network-specific. ABRP & Plugshare are utility apps great for planning trips and finding any brand of charge station. ChargePoint, EA, EvGo, etc. are charge-network specific apps that allow you to setup payment, initiate charge sessions, and find THEIR charge stations.

You don’t need anything but FordPass to use the gratis kWh on EA. Technically, you don’t even need FordPass (I don’t think) unless you want to setup plug & charge. You do need to setup connected services on Ford.com.

When planning a trip, I generally start with ABRP to plan the route with charge stops, then use PlugShare to check user ratings of the stations. Then I check to see if I have (or need to get) the network app for any station I plan on using. I currently have EA (haven’t used it yet until I use up Fords kWh), Chargepoint, and EVGateway (not used it yet). I’ve charged at a few Francis Energy chargers in Oklahoma without using an app.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have all of those apps, but there are two different types (general utility, vs network-specific. ABRP & Plugshare are utility apps great for planning trips and finding any brand of charge station. ChargePoint, EA, EvGo, etc. are charge-network specific apps that allow you to setup payment, initiate charge sessions, and find THEIR charge stations.

You don’t need anything but FordPass to use the gratis kWh on EA. Technically, you don’t even need FordPass (I don’t think) unless you want to setup plug & charge. You do need to setup connected services on Ford.com.

When planning a trip, I generally start with ABRP to plan the route with charge stops, then use PlugShare to check user ratings of the stations. Then I check to see if I have (or need to get) the network app for any station I plan on using. I currently have EA (haven’t used it yet until I use up Fords kWh), Chargepoint, and EVGateway (not used it yet). I’ve charged at a few Francis Energy chargers in Oklahoma without using an app.
So note that the Ford nav software is pretty good and will route you to any needed chargers. I have the other apps, but have been relying on it in our Mach-e with good results.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So note that the Ford nav software is pretty good and will route you to any needed chargers. I have the other apps, but have been relying on it in our Mach-e with good results.
I’ve had a couple issues with the Ford nav routing me unnecessarily off my route for a charge. My SOP is to plug the next charge stop into the Ford nav and to takes me directly there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
All Great Comments!

To all of you Left and Right Coast EV'ers, many of us in the Mid-America Charge Station Drought Areas have more specific needs in planning for a long trip.

To distill these down to Dummy Level:

Start with the ABRP App (A Route Planner that can double check the Ford Navigation and plot your path for the best charging options to plan the route with charge stops), then use PlugShare to check user ratings of the stations. Create an Account ahead of time with each App.

The Trip Planning Solutions in the Lightning are advertised to be Wizardry but do not take this as Fact until Proven.

Important to note how each Charge Station charges (Per Minute or Per KW) and the maximum charge speed (up to 150 kw/h). Reviewers to date have found maximum speeds for the Lightning at 120 kw/h 0%-80%, then dropping off to half or less. Also, choose locations with more than a single station in case of disrepair.

Once you have identified specific Charge Station Options Download those Apps (EA, ChargePoint, EVGateway, EVGo, Etc.) and set up accounts with Payment Methods.

Electrify America Notes:
After your free 250 KW Credits are up, and if you DC charge a lot. Consider a subscription to EA ($4.00/Month), depending on how much you use it, it'll save money. But I'm not 100% sure the subscription works with plug and charge. If the EA Charger is broken, move to another or drive on to your back up.

Always plan for a backup, such as a RV Park or a Friend's Home (Level 1 or 2) along the route in case of broken Charge Stations. Carry NEMA Plug Adapters in addition to the Ford Mobile Charger, just in case.

Hit the road with a 100% charge if possible and be aware at a 20% Charge left you will probably have only gone up to 250 miles (ER Battery Lariet). Travel Non-Interstate Highways at 55 MPH for Best Mileage. Remember, this is a Vacation, not a Speed Contest.

Arrive at the Pre-Planned Charge Station. Usually there are not people clamoring to charge behind you. Default to an EA Charge Station, if possible, to use the Free Ford KWs.

As long as the station is working properly, it’s no more complicated than self-checkout at the grocery store or self-serve gas stations. Follow the prompts and insert credit card or use your App with your account information set up ahead of time.

[Still not sure how the Ford Pass App interacts with the EA App]

Pull into your selected Charger Spot and Hook Up the Cable. Use the App to Start Charging or Set Up on the Station Interface with a Credit Card.

[Still not sure how you would know how much time it will take for a full charge]

If you want to stay during the charge, pick up Burgers or a Pizza before arriving at the Station. Otherwise try to select a station within walking distance of something interesting. If you do not stay do not overstay your time or you may piss off someone waiting for your spot.

Finally, you are all set to drive on after making sure your now 80%+ Charge will get you to your next pre-planned Charge Station.

If you are planning to stay at a Hotel you might be able to pre-plan for one that offers overnight Level 2 stations but often the daily cost is much more than that of a cheaper alternative with no charging.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
All Great Comments!

To all of you Left and Right Coast EV'ers, many of us in the Mid-America Charge Station Drought Areas have more specific needs in planning for a long trip.

To distill these down to Dummy Level:

Start with the ABRP App (A Route Planner that can double check the Ford Navigation and plot your path for the best charging options to plan the route with charge stops), then use PlugShare to check user ratings of the stations. Create an Account ahead of time with each App.

The Trip Planning Solutions in the Lightning are advertised to be Wizardry but do not take this as Fact until Proven.

Important to note how each Charge Station charges (Per Minute or Per KW) and the maximum charge speed (up to 150 kw/h). Reviewers to date have found maximum speeds for the Lightning at 120 kw/h 0%-80%, then dropping off to half or less. Also, choose locations with more than a single station in case of disrepair.

Once you have identified specific Charge Station Options Download those Apps (EA, ChargePoint, EVGateway, EVGo, Etc.) and set up accounts with Payment Methods.

Electrify America Notes:
After your free 250 KW Credits are up, and if you DC charge a lot. Consider a subscription to EA ($4.00/Month), depending on how much you use it, it'll save money. But I'm not 100% sure the subscription works with plug and charge. If the EA Charger is broken, move to another or drive on to your back up.

Always plan for a backup, such as a RV Park or a Friend's Home (Level 1 or 2) along the route in case of broken Charge Stations. Carry NEMA Plug Adapters in addition to the Ford Mobile Charger, just in case.

Hit the road with a 100% charge if possible and be aware at a 20% Charge left you will probably have only gone up to 250 miles (ER Battery Lariet). Travel Non-Interstate Highways at 55 MPH for Best Mileage. Remember, this is a Vacation, not a Speed Contest.

Arrive at the Pre-Planned Charge Station. Usually there are not people clamoring to charge behind you. Default to an EA Charge Station, if possible, to use the Free Ford KWs.

As long as the station is working properly, it’s no more complicated than self-checkout at the grocery store or self-serve gas stations. Follow the prompts and insert credit card or use your App with your account information set up ahead of time.

[Still not sure how the Ford Pass App interacts with the EA App]

Pull into your selected Charger Spot and Hook Up the Cable. Use the App to Start Charging or Set Up on the Station Interface with a Credit Card.

[Still not sure how you would know how much time it will take for a full charge]

If you want to stay during the charge, pick up Burgers or a Pizza before arriving at the Station. Otherwise try to select a station within walking distance of something interesting. If you do not stay do not overstay your time or you may piss off someone waiting for your spot.

Finally, you are all set to drive on after making sure your now 100% Charge will get you to your next pre-planned Charge Station.

If you are planning to stay at a Hotel you might be able to pre-plan for one that offers overnight Level 2 stations but often the daily cost is much more than that of a cheaper alternative with no charging.
This is pretty much it. It sounds really complex until you actually get out there and try it. You only need to plan like this for road trips. You will find that as you start driving an EV you stop looking at the signs for Gas/Diesel prices. You only pay attention to charger locations via an app.

The other thing is day by day this is getting easier and easier. Right now, we are in the early adopter phase of things. But more businesses are starting to realize that having chargers outside of their establishments increases customer revenue. I can't believe how many chargers are around now compared to what it was like 5 years ago.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I have Chargepoint, EA, Volta and EvGo apps on phone and have credit on them. Your area may need others. I also have two RFID cards.
After owning EV's for 4 years there was a steep learning curve.
One is go online/app to see status of charger before you get there. Two is be sure you know how to manually release the cord from truck if needed.
Three might be if using L2 to know that time of use charge profile could stop you from charging. L3/DC doesn't use time of use.

Expect to have more battery degradation from DC fast charging over slower L2/L1.

Forget about charging past 80% normally. The route planning is only good if your current e-mpg matches what you will use. I drive in town so I get great mileage. At 75mph not so much.
Sponsored

Last edited: