• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apparently EA charging Stations are frying EV cars

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Yeah I've seen this before and this is something that really scares me about DC fast charging. I've only ever DC fast charged my truck once since owning it (haven't needed to since), but it's definitely sketchy knowing that you're basically putting your trust in the charging station to supply clean and safe power directly to the battery, instead of the safe, metered power of the on-board charger during AC charging.

Last edited:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
It would be more accurate to say that the Rivian was bricked while charging, not that the charger fried the car.

We don't know if this is a truck issue or a charger issue, but people always blame Electrify America when there is a problem.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Moderators: How can shared content be displayed in plain-text in the posts? Information will be lost as the cross-site plugins change.

Sponsored

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 1999 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
3 EA charging sessions & no problems. Seeing 175 amps a couple of times, 25-35% to 50% range then ramping down to the 150's.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thousands of people are charging every day, and there were two cars bricked at chargers a couple weeks ago? Doesn't seem like a very widespread issue to me.
In 2021, EA had more than 1.45 million charging sessions. I'll guess that 2022 was 25% higher, I expect closer to 50%.

1.45 * 1.25 = 1,812,500 charging sessions or 5,000 per day.

This is a non-issue.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm more inclined to believe that the handful of individuals who got bricked was due to a fault on the vehicle. Some bit of hardware failed, it happens. Loud boom...a fuse blowing maybe or a short somewhere? That *should* trigger the software to brick as the vehicle would not be safe to operate at that point. Nothing more than bad luck getting sensationalized due to the polarized press pouncing on poorly perceived notions.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Kyle Conner has a video about troubles fast charging his Rivian. He speculates that they may have an issue with a module in the battery not cooling correctly.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
There’s also at least one instance of it similarly bricking a Lightning. It’s blowing the explosive fuses on these vehicles. Not only a Rivian issue

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Wasn’t there one Lightning that got fried by EA and another one that got stuck while with the charger?

EA is a mess, hurry up Elon…..

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yeah I've seen this before and this is something that really scares me about DC fast charging. I've only ever DC fast charged my truck once since owning it (haven't needed to since), but it's definitely sketchy knowing that you're basically putting your trust in the charging station to supply clean and safe power directly to the battery, instead of the safe, metered power of the on-board charger during AC charging.
This is the equivalent to getting contaminated fuel from a gas station. It rarely happens, but when it does can sometimes be catastrophic.

I still 100% stand by my claim of EA charger hardware being complete junk.

OP
OP

TBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER+Tow Tech & Max Tow; Anti Matter Blue
It would be more accurate to say that the Rivian was bricked while charging, not that the charger fried the car.

We don't know if this is a truck issue or a charger issue, but people always blame Electrify America when there is a problem.
The issue wasn’t just with Rivian, it happened to other males and modes as well

OP
OP

TBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER+Tow Tech & Max Tow; Anti Matter Blue
My major concern would be for my Lightning. Fortunately we aren’t trapped to EA. I think EVgo might be a better solution.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My major concern would be for my Lightning. Fortunately we aren’t trapped to EA. I think EVgo might be a better solution.
I use EVGo most of the time since they are numerous around me.

I like EVGo - especially the 350kW hyper towers - it checks for connection, voltage tests, insulation tests and then starts charging.

Might cost a bit more than EA, but availability is high - app is live - no waiting for free VW iD4 driver - no down chargers like EA - 170kW rate!

Ford F-150 Lightning Apparently EA charging Stations are frying EV cars IMG_0105.JPG
Sponsored