• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think the problem is some try to get people to look at an EV by commenting that it’s better for the environment. I think if the conversation starts out with how much you would save at the Gas Station it would be different.

The only people who are really anti-EV are supposed “enthusiast” who like tuning and modifying. But to be honest I think we have reached the limits to the point that Manufacturers are starting to produce ICE cars that have little to no room for aftermarket tuning. I mean unless you go full engine build. But even then, will it be able to compete with a EV on a straight line? Right now it’s hard to find any ICE(Stock) that will beat a Plaid.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think the problem is some try to get people to look at an EV by commenting that it’s better for the environment. I think if the conversation starts out with how much you would save at the Gas Station it would be different.

The only people who are really anti-EV are supposed “enthusiast” who like tuning and modifying. But to be honest I think we have reached the limits to the point that Manufacturers are starting to produce ICE cars that have little to no room for aftermarket tuning. I mean unless you go full engine build. But even then, will it be able to compete with a EV on a straight line? Right now it’s hard to find any ICE(Stock) that will beat a Plaid.
I don't believe any street legal ICE would be able to beat the Plaid - modified or not. The Plaid's limit is tire traction, not power. To go faster you need drag tires.

I agree on the gas cost thing though. I see a lot of folks minds change when I tell them I have taken ~500 mile road trips for less than $35 in charging costs! How far will an ICE truck go on $35 worth of gas? What about an ICE truck with a ~4 second 0-60 (Raptor-R / Ram TRX)?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I don't believe any street legal ICE would be able to beat the Plaid - modified or not. The Plaid's limit is tire traction, not power. To go faster you need drag tires.

I agree on the gas cost thing though. I see a lot of folks minds change when I tell them I have taken ~500 mile road trips for less than $35 in charging costs! How far will an ICE truck go on $35 worth of gas? What about an ICE truck with a ~4 second 0-60 (Raptor-R / Ram TRX)?

Or sell them on performance. One ride with the insane instantaneous speed combined with quiet comfort and most of them would convert.

Even taking the environmental advantage off the table-- EVs are just in general better vehicles. Smooth, quiet, powerful. One ride and I was hooked....

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
The only mass produced EV I know of that is as green or greener than an ICE from 0 miles is the BMW i3.

I don't think any other manufacture ever went as far as BMW did to be green and ethically responsible for 1 model.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The only mass produced EV I know of that is as green or greener than an ICE from 0 miles is the BMW i3.

I don't think any other manufacture ever went as far as BMW did to be green and ethically responsible for 1 model.
The i3 is awesome, and I can't be convinced otherwise.

Compromised in some ways? Yes. But awesome in it's niche at the time and so unique/cool, IMO.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Or sell them on performance. One ride with the insane instantaneous speed combined with quiet comfort and most of them would convert.

Even taking the environmental advantage off the table-- EVs are just in general better vehicles. Smooth, quiet, powerful. One ride and I was hooked....
Yep - I came to the Lightning to do my part for the environment. But fell in love hook line and sinker with the smoothness and quietness of it. And love driving down the freeway hands-free and quiet!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Yep - I came to the Lightning to do my part for the environment. But fell in love hook line and sinker with the smoothness and quietness of it. And love driving down the freeway hands-free and quiet!
And the F-35 -like acceleration doesn't suck either. For something that weighs as much as it does to hold it's own in a quarter mile drag with a Mach-E GT is fairly impressive.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
And the F-35 -like acceleration doesn't suck either. For something that weighs as much as it does to hold it's own in a quarter mile drag with a Mach-E GT is fairly impressive.
I'd say the Lightning wins in the 1/4-mile. Elapsed Time is basically the same, but it's blowing past the Mach E with a much higher trap speed.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Rav4 Prime
A critcal problem with ICE vehicles is air pollution and it has gotten so bad with the dirty diesel cars that cheated the emissions testing that the only fix is to introduce zero emission vehicle in cities. Places like London and Los Angeles have air that is unhealthy to breathe.

In the USA there is a cost of more than $12 billion in emergency room visits alone for asthma. We don't have the lead poisoning with lead free gas at the pumps but diesel particulates remain a problem. Fortunately fleed operators are quite aware of the fuel cost savings and the much greater up time for electric trucks that spend far less time in shops getting serviced or repaired.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

A funny thing happened on the way to “saving the planet”: EVs got good- really good- on their automotive transportation merits alone. With due apologies to tree-huggers, even if my two EVs generated MORE emissions than ICE vehicles, I would still want to own them. Power, convenience, efficiency- best vehicles I’ve ever owned.

butterfb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Senior Support Engineer
I'm not an environmentalist, My last truck was an expedition that got something like 12 miles per gallon. I went to buy a Regular ice f150, but after my test drive i saw a lighting and wanted to drive it. I was sold not only on how it drove, all the room, but the money savings i figured out i would have. Since November i have been only spent around $20 a month on fuel charging from home, the extra $7500 that i will be getting here in a few months will go straight to the loan. Still own a gas crossover and would happily buy a gas auto.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Ford COULD sell a lot more Lightnings if they were more competitive about selling them against all other truck models (including their own). Instead of only selling them to people who already want an EV, they should be selling them to everyone who wants a 1/2 ton truck.

Everyone who comes in to look at trucks should be encouraged to test drive the Lightning. Should be highlighting the torque and acceleration during test drives. They should be talking about fuel costs. Should be talking about convenience of never going to the gas station. They should be talking about how good a deal the Pro trim model is. For people who tow, highlight how nice the Lightning tows (for short range). Highlight all the tech that comes standard. Show off the frunk. And of course it still has all the other features of the F150 - the huge cab and passenger space. The standard bed and all the accessories available. All the goodies in the upper trim models.

Chevy has nothing to compete (yet).
Ram has nothing to compete (yet)
Toyota has nothing to compete.
Tesla has nothing people can test drive (or even really buy yet).

Instead of the dealers looking at Lightning as an annoying side show, they should be looking at it as a competitive ace that no other pickup dealers have.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Ford COULD sell a lot more Lightnings if they were more competitive about selling them against all other truck models (including their own). Instead of only selling them to people who already want an EV, they should be selling them to everyone who wants a 1/2 ton truck.

Everyone who comes in to look at trucks should be encouraged to test drive the Lightning. Should be highlighting the torque and acceleration during test drives. They should be talking about fuel costs. Should be talking about convenience of never going to the gas station. They should be talking about how good a deal the Pro trim model is. For people who tow, highlight how nice the Lightning tows (for short range). Highlight all the tech that comes standard. Show off the frunk. And of course it still has all the other features of the F150 - the huge cab and passenger space. The standard bed and all the accessories available. All the goodies in the upper trim models.

Chevy has nothing to compete (yet).
Ram has nothing to compete (yet)
Toyota has nothing to compete.
Tesla has nothing people can test drive (or even really buy yet).

Instead of the dealers looking at Lightning as an annoying side show, they should be looking at it as a competitive ace that no other pickup dealers have.
I agree, particularly about gas stations. I don't mind going to the gas station if I am long distance travelling. It is never convenient in day to day driving. Out phev may have a gallon remaining in the tank right now. Last fill up was April 29. It is only this low because the gas is old and it went through a forced fuel usage cycle (from 3/4 of the tank down to less than 1/4). During the fuel usage cycle the vehicle is ies not even run as a hybrid (engine on all the time). It is never convenient to fill it up. Not on the way to work... don't want to be late. Not on the way home...just want to be home. Not on the weekend when you are doing something fun. With EV you just come home, plug in, walk into the house.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Americans are dying and shedding blood right now to protect world oil supply and prices. The trillions we've spent pale in comparison to their blood. That's all the politics I need to try to wean off of using oil to the extent that I can. I'm amazed that Americans seemingly can't even be bothered to consider those lives instead of silly, hyperbolic propaganda and disinformation.
Sponsored