• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery module issue

Carola

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
So I just had an incident where I went to drive my Lightning and got the wrench picture and a notification to pull over safely. Fortunately I was in a parking lot. Could only drive it 5-10 mph anyway, so I just remarked. Had it towed to the dealer. They are saying they need to replace a battery module. The truck has just over 10,000 miles. Would this have been a battery that could have gone on fire? Should I be worried that the mechanics at the dealership likely have no experience doing this? I feel like they are going to be watching a training video to install it. The part is not even in yet, and the dealership hasn’t updated me for 3 days now.
Really not liking this at all.

Happen to anyone else?
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So I just had an incident where I went to drive my Lightning and got the wrench picture and a notification to pull over safely. Fortunately I was in a parking lot. Could only drive it 5-10 mph anyway, so I just remarked. Had it towed to the dealer. They are saying they need to replace a battery module. The truck has just over 10,000 miles. Would this have been a battery that could have gone on fire? Should I be worried that the mechanics at the dealership likely have no experience doing this? I feel like they are going to be watching a training video to install it. The part is not even in yet, and the dealership hasn’t updated me for 3 days now.

Happen to anyone else?
Bad battery module/pack is becoming more common.

Would not worry - leave it up to Ford to resolve it.

Make sure the Ford BEV team knows about it so that you can reimbursed for the rental and fuel.

Sponsored

LightQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Star White Metalic
Bad battery module/pack is becoming more common.

Would not worry - leave it up to Ford to resolve it.

Make sure the Ford BEV team knows about it so that you can reimbursed for the rental and fuel.
My take from experience:
Ford got a few bad battery packets from supplier last year (this is not related to recent Ford plant truck fire). Just one bad packet in even one of the nine battery modules can result in loss of power. To its credit, and unlike most other EV manufacturers, once the issue became known, Ford was pro-active and contacted owners of Lightnings that showed up to Ford as a possible battery problem. Ford asked owners to come in to a service center a.s.a.p. so they can replace the specific battery module that had a bad packet. This was done under warranty. Some owners were given a free rental car (I got a Tesla3) some not- that was a dealer choice. Some had to wait weeks for a module and weeks to repair (I waited 1 week for module and 1 day to repair). Time depended on availability of module and quality of dealer service center.

My Bad Battery Module: Not every owner was called but Ford called me before I got the orange wrench warning light and power loss. They hand held me through the process.
Unfortunately, we were off by only a few days as my Lightning with only 1508 miles lost power in a local shopping lot just 1 day before my module came in.

The Bridge:
I called my dealer and said I would try to creep in at reduced power if I could get it to climb over the high bridge (I live on an island). It was a gamble at 5-7 mph max on a flat road. The odds were high that I would stall out climbing the bridge and block one of the 2 skinny, no shoulder lanes 50 feet above the river. It was sunny, hot 91 degrees and I closed the windows and turned off the AC and everything else- and went for it!
Why not wait for a tow? Because Ford Roadside said I had to pay $500 upfront on my card and it could be more. I thought tows were free. So, I was mad.

But I did think it over. It would be pure hell if the truck failed going over the high slope bridge and a nightmare to tow from there not to mention potential road rage.
But since proving her toughness to me over and over again, my gut told me she would make it- trust her. Crazy I know. But I was also curious.

She did it:
My beautiful F-150 Lightning on all 4's crawled and pulled me up, up into the sky and over the crest of the bridge even though she had most of her battery tied behind her back! I talked to her, giving her encouragement all the way and we both breathed a sigh of relief coasting down the bridge (building energy)and on to Paradise Ford Service quietly sliding into an open bay.
Once there, we were both warmly greeted and had terrific Service.

Now, many miles later I have had no problems with the battery or any other issues.
My Lightning is my oasis, my workhorse and my transportation.
Going forward I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way (like replacing a battery module) but Ford bet the farm on this truck- and I think they knocked it out of the park!

My 2 cents:
-Trust your truck. (Battery module replacement is a known fix).
- Hope for a good service department.
- Call Ford to assist you and your service dealer in this module replacement.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

Happen to anyone else?
Well in a poll I posted there are over 40 of us. Sounds like the fix is happening quicker. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power-poll.14094/
Sponsored