• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Tesla Adapter [looking for feedback]

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I've seen remarks here and there, now looking for real world feedback.
I have a Tesla destination charger at home.
I'm rather certain I'll need to use it for at least a month.

Then I plan to keep it with me just in case.

I'd rather not use something that gets hot.

Anyhoo...ready....go.
Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I have the Lectron 48 amp Tesla-to-J1772 charger. I used it with the Tesla Mobile Connector and the Lightning before I installed the Ford Charge Station Pro.

It worked well for me.

Ford F-150 Lightning Best Tesla Adapter [looking for feedback] 1672338928476

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
I spent the extra money on the TeslaTap Mini. I wanted that one simply because the truck can pull 80 amps, and although rare, there are 80amp Tesla Chargers. I didn’t want something to trip, melt or otherwise get damaged…thus, spent the extra money on the high amperage TeslaTap. I’ve use it on an 80amp Tesla destination charger and it works like a charm. I did have in my possession the Lectron adapter…seemed good, if you only will ever use a 48amp charger.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I've seen remarks here and there, now looking for real world feedback.
I have a Tesla destination charger at home.
I'm rather certain I'll need to use it for at least a month.

Then I plan to keep it with me just in case.

I'd rather not use something that gets hot.

Anyhoo...ready....go.
Its really minimal, but the first thing we need to do is understand what you are referring to. "Destination chargers" from Tesla you refer to are always "Wall Chargers" as Tesla calls them. They are permanently attached and wired and depending on which model it is, it can deliver up to 80 amps of charging. They are not designed to be portable to keep it with you.

I have one of these and I bought and use the Tesla Tap Mini for my home charging. Mine is not set up for 80 amps, but I went with the Tesla Tap Mini so I can take it when I travel too, just in case I ever find a Destination Charger that is running at 80 amps, I wanted to be future proofed.

If you are talking about the Mobile Connector, those are portable and from Tesla can plug into about 8 different types of 120/240 outlets. You will still need some sort of adapter from Tesla Tap or Lectron to be able to use and charge.

All of the Tesla connectors are popular for their adaptability and price. None of them get any hotter than any other charger unless perhaps there is something wrong with the wiring to it, underrated, etc.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Its really minimal, but the first thing we need to do is understand what you are referring to. "Destination chargers" from Tesla you refer to are always "Wall Chargers" as Tesla calls them. They are permanently attached and wired and depending on which model it is, it can deliver up to 80 amps of charging. They are not designed to be portable to keep it with you.

I have one of these and I bought and use the Tesla Tap Mini for my home charging. Mine is not set up for 80 amps, but I went with the Tesla Tap Mini so I can take it when I travel too, just in case I ever find a Destination Charger that is running at 80 amps, I wanted to be future proofed.

If you are talking about the Mobile Connector, those are portable and from Tesla can plug into about 8 different types of 120/240 outlets. You will still need some sort of adapter from Tesla Tap or Lectron to be able to use and charge.

All of the Tesla connectors are popular for their adaptability and price. None of them get any hotter than any other charger unless perhaps there is something wrong with the wiring to it, underrated, etc.
Ok, Wall Charger.
48amp.
That's what we have.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Ok, Wall Charger.
48amp.
That's what we have.
Well indeed the WC is what most destination chargers are. They aren't truly considered portable, but you noted keeping it with you, maybe I mis-interpreted that as putting it in the truck to take along. Some of them were actually sold early on with a 14-50 plug and some people have put 14-50 plugs on them vs hard wiring.

I was clarifying just to make sure we understood your ask.

Those are very solid and should never get "hot" in normal circumstances.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Well indeed the WC is what most destination chargers are. They aren't truly considered portable, but you noted keeping it with you, maybe I mis-interpreted that as putting it in the truck to take along. Some of them were actually sold early on with a 14-50 plug and some people have put 14-50 plugs on them vs hard wiring.

I was clarifying just to make sure we understood your ask.

Those are very solid and should never get "hot" in normal circumstances.
It = the adapter.

The wall charger is...yes...attached to our wall.
Sponsored