• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Brothers Charging Port Door Fell Off

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
It literally slides right back on. If you press to hard and at a specific angle when closing it you can push it off the little tabs that hold it on. Then you go driving and it goes missing.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Haven’t had the cover off mine, but the plunger on it is terrible. Ford, please source from wherever Chrysler gets there for the Pacifica. It’s butter smooth by comparison. Takes 1/10th the force/effort

Sponsored

DennisM1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD; 2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Attorney
My charge port is being replaced under warranty due to the door being extremely difficult to open or clpse. I am waiting for a mid-January dealer appointment now where parts were ordered.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I believe the chargeport door mechanism is the same as on some VW gascars. I was at a gas pump to buy diesel for my tractor. This was last summer. Next to me, a woman was trying to get the cover to open so she could buy gas. None of us nearby were able to help get it open. Sure hope that doesn’t happen to me. Afew days ago I didneedto use a heat gun to get mine open. It is a poor design.

DavePNW

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
... you can push it off the little tabs that hold it on ...
tl;dr: You can push off the little tabs that hold it on.

The cover has little tabs of its own, that it uses to hold onto the above-quoted little tabs of the door proper. Both material and size put the cover's tabs at a disadvantage compared to the things they're supposed to grab. The tiny prong near the cover's upper outboard corner, for example --if you try to re-attach the cover to the door proper, you'll find it pretty easy to break off. Maybe not in one try, or in two like I did. But you get all the tries you need, while you can still find the cover.
Sponsored