• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Usually, first set of vehicles to be built will have small but minor build quality issues.

On the flipside, by Nov/Dec you'd expect any "issues" present on the mannequin to have been exposed and corrected.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Everyone who drives it will beat the crap out of it. No thanks.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I have purchased many demo vehicles in the past, not a big deal. In my case, it was typically the vehicle driven by the dealership's owner as his daily driver.

One consideration is that you're paying a form of ADM in that when you purchase the truck it's going to have likely a few thousand miles on it, and you're going to pay MSRP. That was always the primary reason I bought demo units - always got a great discount on them because of the ~2k to ~6k miles on them.

OP
OP

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS
I have purchased many demo vehicles in the past, not a big deal. In my case, it was typically the vehicle driven by the dealership's owner as his daily driver.

One consideration is that you're paying a form of ADM in that when you purchase the truck it's going to have likely a few thousand miles on it, and you're going to pay MSRP. That was always the primary reason I bought demo units - always got a great discount on them because of the ~2k to ~6k miles on them.
Yeah, they wonā€™t budge on the MSRP price, I donā€™t want to push too hard, better than many alternatives or waiting 2-3 years, weā€™ll see what i can get for the Ioniq5 when they offer the truck up in Dec, I might be willing to take a hit on it, and I get the advantage of 6 months of owners reports to help decide.

OP
OP

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS
My wife took her Mach-e to the dealer for state inspection today, and did some recon on the mannequin. She said it looks clean inside and out. Doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s being abused too much. Another month till they can sell it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations? 8B9D66B4-BB12-4981-937A-65C5DDE184AC

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations? 629E7278-4EF2-40FF-85D4-3DE3AEFA016E

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a mannequin demo Lightning - any reservations? A96BD3AE-02B4-43CE-BC82-0A6D715AC151

Jason Weaver

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Platinum Expedition
Occupation
Solar Sales
Definitely buy it. I looked at one last month, but itā€™s marked up $20k. Went to an out of state dealership, and their mannequin was even more than that. So youā€™re getting a great deal!

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Also, a lot of the dealers have the Work Pro model as their mannequin. So if that is the trim level you want, you are not going to find a lot of those being on the market any other way.

Sponsored

wilmerfjohnson

First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR,2021 Bronco, 2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner
Everyone who drives it will beat the crap out of it. No thanks.
Please - at least everyone -1. My dealer gave me their mannequin for the weekend. I treated it with respect, but did explore it's capabilities. I did not "beat on it"

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Please - at least everyone -1. My dealer gave me their mannequin for the weekend. I treated it with respect, but did explore it's capabilities. I did not "beat on it"
The abuse done to demos / mannequins / rentals often is invisible. I can guarantee nearly everyone stomps on it, corners hard, and some slap the brakes to the floor.

OP
OP

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS
Talked to my salesman today asking what date they can sell the mannequin. They took delivery on June 14, terms of the FCTP program say the truck canā€™t be sold for 6 months. He said the truck was under recall for some days (Iā€˜m assuming the TPMS recall) and that days under recall do not count for in service days for the FCTP program. He said the they canā€™t sell until Jan 13.

I explained that this makes the sale ineligible for the fed tax credit under the old rules and that this truck does not qualify under the new rules. He said he hadnā€™t thought of that and that he would speak to the sales manager on Monday and that maybe we could do the paper work early. Iā€™m not exactly sure what he is suggesting there, possibly the sales contract exception in the new law and pre dating it prior to 8/16. Not sure Iā€™d go along with that and I wonā€™t buy the truck without the tax credit.

Iā€˜m thinking this deal is not going to happen and Iā€™m kind of OK with that. I will need to sell or trade my Ioniq5 and have been gathering offers for it and they are not great, and I really love that car too. Maybe save some $ and just buy a 5-10 year old basic ICE truck for ā€œtruck stuffā€:unsure:

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Just took delivery on a dealer demo mannequin that came available in this first week of December. Was configured exactly how I would have ordered (Pro with Max Tow + Tow Tech). MSRP +$8k. With the price increases announced on the 2023's, and being able to be assured to be able to take the 2022 $7500 tax credit vs. rolling the dice on the tax credit for 2023, that seemed like a good deal.
Had 110 miles on it and it was spotless. Dealer tossed in the Ford running boards and a roll cover that they had put on it as well.
Maybe could have held out a bit closer to the end of the year and found one for MSRP, but lots of dealers still looking for MSRP +$15k or $20k on the Pro mannequins (or already have committed to a seller at those prices).

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Just took delivery on a dealer demo mannequin that came available in this first week of December. Was configured exactly how I would have ordered (Pro with Max Tow + Tow Tech). MSRP +$8k. With the price increases announced on the 2023's, and being able to be assured to be able to take the 2022 $7500 tax credit vs. rolling the dice on the tax credit for 2023, that seemed like a good deal.
Had 110 miles on it and it was spotless. Dealer tossed in the Ford running boards and a roll cover that they had put on it as well.
Maybe could have held out a bit closer to the end of the year and found one for MSRP, but lots of dealers still looking for MSRP +$15k or $20k on the Pro mannequins (or already have committed to a seller at those prices).
Yeah dealerships are price-gouging like crazy on the Pros. I think you did just fine, actually damn good for a Pro. If you can take the tax credit, that offsets the dealership markup and you get the truck now vs. who knows when next year and probably at the higher '23 pricing...
Sponsored