• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
Buy it!

i like your trailer, nice little rig.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Good morning, everyone.

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for the last few months. I currently drive a 2022 Model Y, which is my third EV since 2019. I love my car, but I realized last month that it's not giving me enough range with my A-frame camper to be practical. The sorry state of CCS chargers drove me back to Tesla last year from an EV6 that I really enjoyed, but Ford's NACS adoption made me reconsider.

I have a deal on THIS TRUCK, which is the first XLT Extended Range that Iā€™ve seen on the used market, and they just took it in trade last weekend at their Shakopee location. They had to send the salesman to the other store to bring it over for me, and it showed up just before I arrived with 5% in the tank and hadnā€™t seen their detail shop. This dealer didnā€™t have a fast charger, either, so I went on an abbreviated test drive to get a feel for it. Theyā€™re only willing to give me $37K for my Model Y, and Carvana has offered $40K, so I told them Iā€™d play with my calculator and get back to them. I decided to move forward and sell my car to Carvana, and I drove back down this afternoon for a better test drive and put down a deposit.

The tires have less than 50% life at 18,300 miles, so they are putting my choice of tires on it. My deposit is refundable, but itā€™s looking like this is the one.

My only gripes are the lack of brake controller and having to deal with the standard sound system after getting spoiled by the premium Tesla setup. I canā€™t argue with the deal, thoughā€¦I almost think they mistakenly priced it like a Standard Range. $55K for the equivalent to a regular 302A package with factory spray-in bedliner and tonneau cover.

The color really speaks to me. We lost our 6-year-old daughter back in 2018, and her favorite color was always blue. šŸ’™

Is there anything specific that I should look for before pulling the trigger?

IMG_1265 Large.jpeg
IMG_1182 Large.jpeg
IMG_1226 Large.jpeg
IMG_1251 Large.jpeg
IMG_1237 Large.jpeg
The Premium sound system in my 22 Lariat is one of the things I really enjoy. Just make sure you can live without your normal music quality.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Why oh why did they cancel that color!? It's the nicest one offered! Now you can only choose from 8 different shades of grey.

Can I get a link to the trailer?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Oh nice! Certified so it automatically comes with extended warranty I believe.

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I have a 23 Lightning Lariat ER and a 23 Tesla Model Y LR. I don't tow with either so I canā€™t advise on differences.

A far as range goes, the Lightning ER real life range is only about 5% better than the Tesla MYLR.

We do a 125 mile trip between our house and cabin several times a month. The Tesla uses 45% of battery and the a lightningā€˜s average use of about 42% of battery on the same trip.

The Lightning range display in miles adjusts based on trip efficiency.

I have a Tesla 60 amp hard wired wall charger at the house. I use an adaptor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BZ4F3GM5/ to convert NACS to J1772 for the lightning. At 11.4 Kw (48 amps) the lightning takes a lot longer to replenish charge than the Tesla for same range used.

The Tesla uses 35 kws vs 56 kws with in the Lightning for the same 125 mile trip. It takes about 3 hours to replenish the Tesla and about 5-1/4 hours to replenish the Lighting for the same trip with the wall Charger.

Using a Mobil connector at 30 amp output it takes 9 hours (lightning) vs 5 hours (Tesla).

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The Premium sound system in my 22 Lariat is one of the things I really enjoy. Just make sure you can live without your normal music quality.
Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning on my way down. Iā€™ll probably be doing something about the factory speakers because of how accustomed I got to Teslaā€™s system.

Oh nice! Certified so it automatically comes with extended warranty I believe.
Yeah, and Ford Blue Certified cars get a better extended warranty than their regular cars. It gets the BaseCare, which covers a bunch of non-powertrain components like suspension, a/c compressor, and such.

I have a 23 Lightning Lariat ER and a 23 Tesla Model Y LR. I don't tow with either so I canā€™t advise on differences.

A far as range goes, the Lightning ER real life range is only about 5% better than the Tesla MYLR.

We do a 125 mile trip between our house and cabin several times a month. The Tesla uses 45% of battery and the a lightningā€˜s average use of about 42% of battery on the same trip.

The Lightning range display in miles adjusts based on trip efficiency.

I have a Tesla 60 amp hard wired wall charger at the house. I use an adaptor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BZ4F3GM5/ to convert NACS to J1772 for the lightning. At 11.4 Kw (48 amps) the lightning takes a lot longer to replenish charge than the Tesla for same range used.

The Tesla uses 35 kws vs 56 kws with in the Lightning for the same 125 mile trip. It takes about 3 hours to replenish the Tesla and about 5-1/4 hours to replenish the Lighting for the same trip with the wall Charger.

Using a Mobil connector at 30 amp output it takes 9 hours (lightning) vs 5 hours (Tesla).
This is great, thank you for the detail. Thatā€™s about what I expected, and Iā€™d be very happy to have a 5% range increase considering itā€™s rated for a few miles less. Teslaā€™s EPA ratings were always wildly optimistic, and itā€™s good to see Ford is a bit better. Iā€™d expect speed to make a bigger difference with the huge frontal area of the Lightning, but I donā€™t mind slowing down a bit on trips.

I have a Wall Connector in the garage, and I plan on using that with my Lectron adapter that I bought for my EV6. The truck is coming with Fordā€™s version of their mobile connector, so Iā€™ll just replace The 14-50 outlet if I have compatibility issues.

Iā€™m at the dealer now after selling the Model Y to Carvana. It looks really good, but that tailgate letting has got to go.

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K IMG_1297
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K IMG_1299
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K IMG_1292

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K IMG_1293

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning on my way down. Iā€™ll probably be doing something about the factory speakers because of how accustomed I got to Teslaā€™s system.

Yeah, and Ford Blue Certified cars get a better extended warranty than their regular cars. It gets the BaseCare, which covers a bunch of non-powertrain components like suspension, a/c compressor, and such.

This is great, thank you for the detail. Thatā€™s about what I expected, and Iā€™d be very happy to have a 5% range increase considering itā€™s rated for a few miles less. Teslaā€™s EPA ratings were always wildly optimistic, and itā€™s good to see Ford is a bit better. Iā€™d expect speed to make a bigger difference with the huge frontal area of the Lightning, but I donā€™t mind slowing down a bit on trips.

I have a Wall Connector in the garage, and I plan on using that with my Lectron adapter that I bought for my EV6. The truck is coming with Fordā€™s version of their mobile connector, so Iā€™ll just replace The 14-50 outlet if I have compatibility issues.

Iā€™m at the dealer now after selling the Model Y to Carvana. It looks really good, but that tailgate letting has got to go.

IMG_1297.jpeg
IMG_1299.jpeg
IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg
Congrats! Just make sure all software updates are completed.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On Order: 2022 F150 Raptor, Atlas Blue, 801a, PP
Looks great, tailgate lettering should come off easily

Sponsored
OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks again, everyone.

I made it home this afternoon and spent some time getting to know it. Iā€™m a bit disappointed that the XLT model doesnā€™t support phone as a key, but thatā€™s not a big deal. Iā€™ll be upgrading the speakers at some point in the near future, but Iā€™m happy with the 12ā€ base SYNC display.

I got 1.5 mi/kWh for the 140 miles that I drove today, and plugged in at 41%. Ambient temps were between 34-48Āŗ, and I was cruising as fast as 77 MPH on the highway. I think my Model Y would have used a higher percentage, so it seems like range will live up to my expectations.

I also timed it to 60 MPH with Dragy tonight on the way to pick up my boys At 71% SOC. Holy hell, this thing is quick.

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying an XLT Extended Range for $55K Screenshot_20231103-194013_Original

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Good morning, everyone.

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for the last few months. I currently drive a 2022 Model Y, which is my third EV since 2019. I love my car, but I realized last month that it's not giving me enough range with my A-frame camper to be practical. The sorry state of CCS chargers drove me back to Tesla last year from an EV6 that I really enjoyed, but Ford's NACS adoption made me reconsider.

I have a deal on THIS TRUCK, which is the first XLT Extended Range that Iā€™ve seen on the used market, and they just took it in trade last weekend at their Shakopee location. They had to send the salesman to the other store to bring it over for me, and it showed up just before I arrived with 5% in the tank and hadnā€™t seen their detail shop. This dealer didnā€™t have a fast charger, either, so I went on an abbreviated test drive to get a feel for it. Theyā€™re only willing to give me $37K for my Model Y, and Carvana has offered $40K, so I told them Iā€™d play with my calculator and get back to them. I decided to move forward and sell my car to Carvana, and I drove back down this afternoon for a better test drive and put down a deposit.

The tires have less than 50% life at 18,300 miles, so they are putting my choice of tires on it. My deposit is refundable, but itā€™s looking like this is the one.

My only gripes are the lack of brake controller and having to deal with the standard sound system after getting spoiled by the premium Tesla setup. I canā€™t argue with the deal, thoughā€¦I almost think they mistakenly priced it like a Standard Range. $55K for the equivalent to a regular 302A package with factory spray-in bedliner and tonneau cover.

The color really speaks to me. We lost our 6-year-old daughter back in 2018, and her favorite color was always blue. šŸ’™

Is there anything specific that I should look for before pulling the trigger?

IMG_1265 Large.jpeg
IMG_1182 Large.jpeg
IMG_1226 Large.jpeg
IMG_1251 Large.jpeg
IMG_1237 Large.jpeg
Congrats on getting what you want.

I am waiting for the 2024 models for a few reasons, despite the steep price cuts am seeing in the 2023 Lightnings around here:

1) heat pump - will improve range in cold weather - and having used a 2012 Leaf for 12 years, resistive heating is not all that great anyway - heated seats and heated steering wheel in the Leaf make it tolerable in cold weather.

2) LFP battery technology is coming to the Lightning in 2024 - hoping it will be as soon as they open orders. Less expensive, though the savings aren't going to be passed on to buyers yet, able to charge to 100% without the worry of battery degrading, although the energy density is lower, so might mean less range in the vehicle unless they put more battery in it.

3) Tax reasons: the dealer can give me the $7500 tax credit up front taken off the price at purchase, and even if my tax liability would not allow me to claim the whole $7500 tax credit if I filed for it, the IRS will not ask for it back at tax time in 2025.

4) Other tax concern - unless they offer 0% interest I am going to pay cash taken from a 401k, and I can defer tax consequences to late 2024 or early 2025 - although 10% has to be withheld at the time of distribution, any additional tax liability I can put off a bit.

5) there might even be some reduction in the 2024 MSRPs from what was leaked here a while back because of potential competition from other manufacturers, e.g., the Tesla Cybertruck - no need to argue about this in replies, I am just saying, it could happen...

6) I am hoping not to have to fight with the truck's Hal 9000 computer (2001: A Space Odyssey) having read about quite a few issues 2022 and 2023 Lightning owners have experienced - maybe I am being too optimistic there, to err is human to really screw up you need a computer...

I have to admit I have been tempted to buy a 2023 recently - I found some Pro's nearby with the two things I want - Pro Power Onboard 9.6kW and spray in bed liner - and one or two options I don't need - back up warning $220 - for $50,709 MSRP, which is in my referred price range.

PS: I get on average 4.8mi/kWh with my Leaf - but it is a much smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
2) LFP battery technology is coming to the Lightning in 2024 - hoping it will be as soon as they open orders. Less expensive, though the savings aren't going to be passed on to buyers yet, able to charge to 100% without the worry of battery degrading, although the energy density is lower, so might mean less range in the vehicle unless they put more battery in it.

3) Tax reasons: the dealer can give me the $7500 tax credit up front taken off the price at purchase, and even if my tax liability would not allow me to claim the whole $7500 tax credit if I filed for it, the IRS will not ask for it back at tax time in 2025.
One thing to consider in these two is the likelihood the LFP doesnā€™t come early in the MY, but also doesnā€™t qualify for the full tax credit.

So if you donā€™t need a HP and you find one that is a good deal you might consider it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Congrats on getting what you want.

I am waiting for the 2024 models for a few reasons, despite the steep price cuts am seeing in the 2023 Lightnings around here:

1) heat pump - will improve range in cold weather - and having used a 2012 Leaf for 12 years, resistive heating is not all that great anyway - heated seats and heated steering wheel in the Leaf make it tolerable in cold weather.

4) Other tax concern - unless they offer 0% interest I am going to pay cash taken from a 401k, and I can defer tax consequences to late 2024 or early 2025 - although 10% has to be withheld at the time of distribution, any additional tax liability I can put off a bit.

5) there might even be some reduction in the 2024 MSRPs from what was leaked here a while back because of potential competition from other manufacturers, e.g., the Tesla Cybertruck - no need to argue about this in replies, I am just saying, it could happen...

6) I am hoping not to have to fight with the truck's Hal 9000 computer (2001: A Space Odyssey) having read about quite a few issues 2022 and 2023 Lightning owners have experienced - maybe I am being too optimistic there, to err is human to really screw up you need a computer...

I have to admit I have been tempted to buy a 2023 recently - I found some Pro's nearby with the two things I want - Pro Power Onboard 9.6kW and spray in bed liner - and one or two options I don't need - back up warning $220 - for $50,709 MSRP, which is in my referred price range.

PS: I get on average 4.8mi/kWh with my Leaf - but it is a much smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle.
I agree with most of that. The deal is what caused me to move now. I think the Lightning is a great truck, and Iā€™m very impressed with it. But itā€™s nearly braindead compared to my Model Y and how well the app integration and smart key work. Iā€™m happy to trade that for the capability of the Lightning, but the 2024+ models will be even better.

Heat pumps are great. My Model Y didnā€™t have a resistive heater of any kind, and the heat pump would fry me out at -10Āŗ F. I donā€™t recall the exact numbers, but it was significantly more efficient than the PTC heater in my 2019 Model 3 at all temperatures. The Lightning seems to overcome that with a huge battery, but a heat pump will make It even better.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
The only reason I would have delayed purchase to a 2024 would be the heat pump. But living in florida heat isnā€™t much of an issue.

With current rebates of $7,500 on ER Lariat, qualifying for $7,500 tax credit and dealer discount of $2,500 it made sense for me to buy a 23 Lariat. Plus announcement that Tesla Super Chargers would open up to Ford clinched The deal.

Iā€˜ve owed 5 Nissan Leafs since 2015 and currently own 2 Tesla Model Yā€™s. Iā€™ve collected the $7,500 tax credit 7 times for $52,500 in tax savings.
Sponsored