• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Are regular OBD2 adapters compatible with the Lightning? I have an old Bluetooth OBD2 adapter that won't turn on when plugged into my Lightning. I'm wondering how much time and effort I should put toward troubleshooting.
Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Are regular OBD2 adapters compatible with the Lightning?
Theoretically any adapter should work, but there's quite a few knockoffs out there with sub-par chipsets, software emulators and whatnot, so I personally wouldn't waste much time troubleshooting as it's an "either works or it doesn't" kind of thing.

As for adapters I can highly recommend OBDLink (I've got nothing to do with them, I've just had good results).
MX+ Is the best (IMHO) wireless solution for phone/Car Scanner, Torque use
EX (USB hard wired) is better if you want to tinker with ForScan
CX+ is nice in that it does work with ABRP, BUT it's Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) so while it's easier for apps to control (because you don't need to pair with it) it's also slower than regular Bluetooth, so if you're logging a lot of stuff you might run into bottleneck issues, but for general use you're probably fine.

https://www.carscanner.info/choosing-obdii-adapter/

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
CX+ is nice in that it does work with ABRP, BUT it's Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) so while it's easier for apps to control (because you don't need to pair with it) it's also slower than regular Bluetooth, so if you're logging a lot of stuff you might run into bottleneck issues, but for general use you're probably fine.

Just so nobody spends time trying to find it, there is no CX+. The BlueTooth LE version is just the CX.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Ford F-150 Lightning Car Scanner App Template (For Real-Time Charging, Battery and Range Telemetry) 20230317_194350

This has worked perfectly on two different Lightnings.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Are regular OBD2 adapters compatible with the Lightning? I have an old Bluetooth OBD2 adapter that won't turn on when plugged into my Lightning. I'm wondering how much time and effort I should put toward troubleshooting.
I got this at $27. Now showing at $32. With free car scanner app, it’s was plug and play. The app already knew Lightning. Only you can be judge of if $32 is worth your time. I didn’t even try my old OBDII since it had no interface with my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
If you load the backup from the original post it also replaces the pairing information and you will lose connection to your ODB interface. You will need to go into settings and delete the adapter and reconnect to your adapter. After you connect your dongle you can make a new backup that will have the OPs screens and your BT info so you don’t have to do that again. I wish Car Scanner had an option to import screens without doing a complete restore.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I got this at $27. Now showing at $32. With free car scanner app, it’s was plug and play. The app already knew Lightning. Only you can be judge of if $32 is worth your time. I didn’t even try my old OBDII since it had no interface with my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
FYI, look like they also have a BLE+ version of this that supports more commands. Unsure if CarScanner uses those commands but may be useful in the future. My Amazon is showing the BLE+ unit with a 10% off coupon so only $6 more ($37.79). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XVQMVS

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
FYI, look like they also have a BLE+ version of this that supports more commands. Unsure if CarScanner uses those commands but may be useful in the future. My Amazon is showing the BLE+ unit with a 10% off coupon so only $6 more ($37.79). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XVQMVS
Yup. I saw that before buying. I am having a hard time figuring out all the data this one gives me.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
To bring this thread back to life, I connected my truck to this app to my Lariat ER and got the following readings using the default dashboards:

FF0DBEB4-7CE6-4C4F-A7CE-87BD9F780327.png

Being new to looking at this “raw” vehicle data, there are a few things I don’t know how to interpret:
  1. The “Energy” reading…..I assume the current energy in the battery?
  2. The “HVB SoC” vs the “HVB SoC Displayed”. Why the difference and how do they relate to the “Energy” reading
In addition to the above, to me, the math doesn’t add up given the stated 131 KWh rating of the ER battery.

I’m trying to reduce my level of ignorance….thx in advance……
Where do you find / how do you view "12V Battery SOC"? I have an OBDLink CX scanner and am using the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 Pro app. I see "Battery Voltage" in the sensor list, but nothing on SOC. I downloaded the Zip file, but it would not open.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
LVB State of ChargeLvbSoc0x224028A
0​
100​
%

Here is the PID information for the low voltage state of charge
You may have to manually input it into your program.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
LVB State of ChargeLvbSoc0x224028A
0​
100​
%

Here is the PID information for the low voltage state of charge
You may have to manually input it into your program.
Thanks!
I finally found it. I had a scanner firmware update and app update yesterday, and I found the LV SOC after those updates. Since I was not familiar with either the scanner or the app, I could have just missed finding it on the first attempt. I appreciate the assistance.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Theoretically any adapter should work, but there's quite a few knockoffs out there with sub-par chipsets, software emulators and whatnot, so I personally wouldn't waste much time troubleshooting as it's an "either works or it doesn't" kind of thing.

As for adapters I can highly recommend OBDLink (I've got nothing to do with them, I've just had good results).
MX+ Is the best (IMHO) wireless solution for phone/Car Scanner, Torque use
EX (USB hard wired) is better if you want to tinker with ForScan

How do the "Car Scanner ELM OBD2" app and the "FORScan Lite" app compare on an iPhone for reading sensor data? I am not interested in programming changes at this point.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Don't know about iPhone, but I really liked the Car scanner app for looks and simplicity over for example Torque.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Don't know about iPhone, but I really liked the Car scanner app for looks and simplicity over for example Torque.
Thanks for the reply. I installed Car Scanner on my iPhone, and I agree with you.

FORScan Lite also runs on iPhone, but apparently requires the MX+ scanner versus the CX scanner. Has anyone compared FORScan Lite against Car Scanner?
Sponsored