• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CarPlay Stereo Issue

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
So I have an issue that when I am using CarPlay and am on my way home I turn onto my street to go home and it sounds like the audio cuts out from “Stereo” and goes “Mono” almost like a small cheap Bluetooth speaker. I’m not sure why it does it but I think it’s related to being near my house and it’s Wi-Fi. Once I get to my house, maybe a minute or two later (15mph) it reconnects to “Stereo” sound. The entire time CarPlay is still connected. I imagine the issue is that the truck or my phone sees the Wi-Fi and causes the issue, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone else have this same issue or know of a fix that I’m missing? I have an XLT 311a currently on power up 3.5.2.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'll confirm I have not seen the issue. I'll note that CarPlay connectivity and overall use still needs some improvement, but when I use it and return home I do not have the symptoms you note, even when the truck gets within range of my home wifi. It continues to play just fine.

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps there is some Wi-Fi / Bluetooth interference issues Between phone and head unit? Try plugging in to see if that makes difference?

I have seen connection issues in certain places and I suspect a lot of noise in that place

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Also try disabling auto-reconnect to your home Wi-Fi, if the problem goes away, and you don't mind manually reconnecting to the house network then all is good.

I had issues with android auto and home vs truck projection networks, the phones behavior on which to connect to at any particular moment was inconsistent, solved by disabling the auto reconnect to the house in my case.

OP
OP

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Perhaps there is some Wi-Fi / Bluetooth interference issues Between phone and head unit? Try plugging in to see if that makes difference?

I have seen connection issues in certain places and I suspect a lot of noise in that place
I’ll try that tomorrow. Currently plugged in with the Usb-C in the armrest.

Also try disabling auto-reconnect to your home Wi-Fi, if the problem goes away, and you don't mind manually reconnecting to the house network then all is good.

I had issues with android auto and home vs truck projection networks, the phones behavior on which to connect to at any particular moment was inconsistent, solved by disabling the auto reconnect to the house in my case.
I think that would be more frustrating to manually connect daily to my house. I just reset the sync tonight so I’ll check to see if it keeps happening the next few days.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I’ll try that tomorrow. Currently plugged in with the Usb-C in the armrest.
I found the connection in the tray forward of the shifter worked better in AA, not sure if you will need to connect there with CP

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I found the connection in the tray forward of the shifter worked better in AA, not sure if you will need to connect there with CP
FWIW, I tried using the USB-C in the tray with my Apple USB-C to MagSafe charger…got an error message saying the device was not supported 🤔 (guessing its drawing too much power?). I now use the USB-A connection in the tray via my USB-A to Lightning 😏 cable with no problems charging and no noticeable change in the operation of Wireless CarPlay…….

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So I have an issue that when I am using CarPlay and am on my way home I turn onto my street to go home and it sounds like the audio cuts out from “Stereo” and goes “Mono” almost like a small cheap Bluetooth speaker. I’m not sure why it does it but I think it’s related to being near my house and it’s Wi-Fi. Once I get to my house, maybe a minute or two later (15mph) it reconnects to “Stereo” sound. The entire time CarPlay is still connected. I imagine the issue is that the truck or my phone sees the Wi-Fi and causes the issue, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone else have this same issue or know of a fix that I’m missing? I have an XLT 311a currently on power up 3.5.2.
Hi there! Could please send us a message with your VIN and dealership information? I can take a look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Alright so ford said I should take it to a dealer which I haven’t yet. But as a small update I’ve tried resetting sync and deleting and repairing my phone. Neither have fixed the issue. I’ll try to remember to use my cable tomorrow.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, I tried using the USB-C in the tray with my Apple USB-C to MagSafe charger…got an error message saying the device was not supported 🤔 (guessing its drawing too much power?). I now use the USB-A connection in the tray via my USB-A to Lightning 😏 cable with no problems charging and no noticeable change in the operation of Wireless CarPlay…….
Glad you mentioned that, I have never tried the C connection in the forward tray, the A connection always works well, initially I was using the USB-A to fix my intermittent wireless connections, then later I pinned down the root issue, when we were starting the truck at home near my home wifi, my phone was configured to auto connect there when in range, doing so interfered with the trucks wifi projection SID which is needed to make wireless CP or AA work.

@Blochead21 , if you disable all auto connections to your phone Wi-Fi except allow ONLY the Lightning projection SID to auto connect, this might improve your trucks car play experiences, at the expense of needing to manually connect to the home network when your done with the truck, a tradeoff some don't like, but I've grown to accept.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Tried the usb c cord tonight and still had the same issue. Manually connecting to my home Wi-Fi is not an option.

OP
OP

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Just to give some closure to this, I continued to have the issue up until last week roughly while I was still on Sync 3.5.2. I started to receive updates to the truck and am currently on the distance to empty update. Being on this update removed the issue of the stereo sound dropping when the truck would connect and disconnect from my home Wi-Fi arriving and leaving my home. Hopefully it stays working.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Ironically I had this issue with not only Fords, but my wife's Bolt. The quick workaround is hit the Sync button (voice interaction) the on the steering wheel, wait for the tone, and then just hit it again (so twice). Its annoying, but I found this out when was in my wife's bolt, and I noticed it was waiting for mic input. I then hit the equivalent to GMs voice interaction button, and it went away.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2020 Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Occupation
Asset Management
When using Apple Carplay on my Mustang Mach E, the sound comes out as mono on just one side of the car. It has occured with both my wife's iPhone and my Iphone. Disconnecting and reconnecting some times helps but not all of the time.

Since I updated to the latest Sync 4.1.2 version this has not occurred.
Sponsored