• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I agree on the backup power being a great thing, they just need to get the cost down. I was all in on that function, but once the costs came out, I realized I would have to pass. We only lose power for a few hours a year. $7k (+/-) to cover that just isn't worth it. I wish Ford would have used the onboard inverter instead of requiring you to purchase another one.
It does depend on where you live, and how much your power costs. It does not only do whole home backup in the event of a power outage - it does load sharing.

This means that if you have really expensive power from say 5-9 PM, and cheap power from 10PM to 6AM, you can use the truck to power your house during the peak period, then charge the truck at night when the power is cheap.

That could potentially save a lot of money depending on your power bill.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It does depend on where you live, and how much your power costs. It does not only do whole home backup in the event of a power outage - it does load sharing.

This means that if you have really expensive power from say 5-9 PM, and cheap power from 10PM to 6AM, you can use the truck to power your house during the peak period, then charge the truck at night when the power is cheap.

That could potentially save a lot of money depending on your power bill.
For those folks it makes more sense. We have the same (13 to 15 cents per kwhr) cost regardless of time of day.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I agree on the backup power being a great thing, they just need to get the cost down. I was all in on that function, but once the costs came out, I realized I would have to pass. We only lose power for a few hours a year. $7k (+/-) to cover that just isn't worth it. I wish Ford would have used the onboard inverter instead of requiring you to purchase another one.
If the $5k install included solar installation it would make more sense. I think the real value of HIS is when it is integrated with solar, assuming it can power your house while charging the truck, if there is adequate solar.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I wish Ford would have used the onboard inverter instead of requiring you to purchase another one.
That's exactly what the Pro Power Onboard does with a transfer switch. It's not exactly the same as the HIS, but it provides a lot of the capability for the cost of a $500 transfer switch, receptacle, and wiring to support the 30A capable run back from the truck. At least a few people on this forum are planning to do this (including myself.)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That's exactly what the Pro Power Onboard does with a transfer switch. It's not exactly the same as the HIS, but it provides a lot of the capability for the cost of a $500 transfer switch, receptacle, and wiring to support the 30A capable run back from the truck. At least a few people on this forum are planning to do this (including myself.)
Yeah - that is my plan as well.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We have solar, but not nearly enough. Our roof (older house) will only support a 2kW system. We got that installed 6 years ago - it helps keep cost down a bit, but doesn't even come close to covering normal usage, let alone EVs. To get more, we would have to reframe our roof, and potentially the whole house - cost just isn't worth it right now.
Sponsored