• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It makes sense to do the trial in these locations, stalls are always open.
It also makes sense that NEVI money should be available for these types of chargers that offer instantaneous fixes to some of the 50-mile gaps in the Alternative Fuel Corridors.

Ex.: Tesla, please install Magic Docks at the SuC in Exmore, VA! Instant fix to a CCS wasteland on a major north-south route. :whistle:
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Hats off to Tesla, Musk, and good ol private enterprise. Though of course this is in large part motivated by NEVI gov’t subsidy it shows how much more agile and capable Tesla is vs what the absolute boondoggle debacle of a rollout the state based NEVI rollout will be. Seriously though when will the first NEVI originated and funded state implemented charger get installed? Late 2023, 24?, 25?….

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They keep coming!!!!

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
Hats off to Tesla, Musk, and good ol private enterprise. Though of course this is in large part motivated by NEVI gov’t subsidy it shows how much more agile and capable Tesla is vs what the absolute boondoggle debacle of a rollout the state based NEVI rollout will be. Seriously though when will the first NEVI originated and funded state implemented charger get installed? Late 2023, 24?, 25?….
Some states are using the NEVI money as the "cherry on top" to work they have already started with the VW settlement money.

There are at least a dozen state funded fast chargers already installed and live throughout Colorado. New Mexico has a number installed and live with another dozen that will open this summer. Arizona has 4 or 5 right now, with more coming this summer. Utah has 5 or 6 already up and running. The states of Montana and Kansas have chargers opening this summer from their portion of the VW settlement funds.

Some state governments are a lot more efficient than others, or just less boondoggly as you say. They used the VW settlement money to install chargers and did not wait for the infrastructure money from the Feds to start rolling out fast chargers.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some states are using the NEVI money as the "cherry on top" to work they have already started with the VW settlement money.

There are at least a dozen state funded fast chargers already installed and live throughout Colorado. New Mexico has a number installed and live with another dozen that will open this summer. Arizona has 4 or 5 right now, with more coming this summer. Utah has 5 or 6 already up and running. The states of Montana and Kansas have chargers opening this summer from their portion of the VW settlement funds.

Some state governments are a lot more efficient than others, or just less boondoggly as you say. They used the VW settlement money to install chargers and did not wait for the infrastructure money from the Feds to start rolling out fast chargers.
I havent followed the VW settlement money as much as you, as my only interest in EV came once there was a full size truck option so I dont have a lot of history on the subject. That said, if I recall recall correctly after reading your previous posts the majority of the VW money went to West Coast states. Why is that? Genuinely curious.

Back to the topic, I would say a piggy back on a different in process program that started many years ago is not a "NEVI originated and funded state implemented charger".

Sponsored

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I havent followed the VW settlement money as much as you, as my only interest in EV came once there was a full size truck option so I dont have a lot of history on the subject. That said, if I recall recall correctly after reading your previous posts the majority of the VW money went to West Coast states. Why is that? Genuinely curious.

Back to the topic, I would say a piggy back on a different in process program that started many years ago is not a "NEVI originated and funded state implemented charger".

In the US, VW settlement funds went to create Electrify America, to individual states, fines to the federal government, and to people who were affected by VW's bull$hit claims about their cars. Of the initial $3bn that went to create Electrify America, a little less than half of those particular funds went to rolling out EA locations in California, the other slightly larger portion of the funds are for sites in the other states.

Individual states could use their portion of those funds how they wanted. Many western states put some of the money into rolling out charging locations off major highways. That is why you see a state of Colorado charger in a city like Alamosa, or a state of Utah charger in a city like Bluff.

Sorry for the history lesson on that funding situation.

With all due respect, I hope you are wrong when it comes to timing for rolling out NEVI funding chargers. Unfortunately, you may be right in that we will not see new CCS chargers going live for at least a year or two. There are supply chain issues for manufacturing new chargers, and there are only so many qualified high speed EV charger installation crews out there. The experienced crews will be holding out for the highest paying jobs, so smaller states that are allocated less money will be last in the installation queue.

Tesla is in a unique position to make the biggest impact because they have the most existing locations that can be converted to also charge a CCS vehicle, and they have the most expertise in getting chargers installed quickly. I can easily see them getting a greater share of the funds allocated to EV charger installation due to their experience and efficiency.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I've read what seems like hundreds of posts about how the cable from Tesla chargers won't work. I do know that we back in with Tesla in almost all of their installations, but if Tesla will retrofit the chargers on the right end of the installs I'm about 99% certain that pulling head in with the truck will almost be a perfect fit. I do know that it would throw things off because pulling in I would use a cable that the car in the next stall over would use if they were backed in.

I think this is nothing more than a little about logistics. Tesla will make it work.
Also being announced on March 1st ... new addition to the the Tesla store .... CCS Extension cords ... for the low price of $420.69 ... Available March 2024....

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also being announced on March 1st ... new addition to the the Tesla store .... CCS Extension cords ... for the low price of $420.69 ... Available March 2024....
If that is that is case… please put me down for 1!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
In the US, VW settlement funds went to create Electrify America, to individual states, fines to the federal government, and to people who were affected by VW's bull$hit claims about their cars. Of the initial $3bn that went to create Electrify America, a little less than half of those particular funds went to rolling out EA locations in California, the other slightly larger portion of the funds are for sites in the other states.

Individual states could use their portion of those funds how they wanted. Many western states put some of the money into rolling out charging locations off major highways. That is why you see a state of Colorado charger in a city like Alamosa, or a state of Utah charger in a city like Bluff.

Sorry for the history lesson on that funding situation.

With all due respect, I hope you are wrong when it comes to timing for rolling out NEVI funding chargers. Unfortunately, you may be right in that we will not see new CCS chargers going live for at least a year or two. There are supply chain issues for manufacturing new chargers, and there are only so many qualified high speed EV charger installation crews out there. The experienced crews will be holding out for the highest paying jobs, so smaller states that are allocated less money will be last in the installation queue.

Tesla is in a unique position to make the biggest impact because they have the most existing locations that can be converted to also charge a CCS vehicle, and they have the most expertise in getting chargers installed quickly. I can easily see them getting a greater share of the funds allocated to EV charger installation due to their experience and efficiency.
On funding at the state level - I don't know which money was spent and used, but Oklahoma has had chargers now every 50 miles for a few years. Francis Energy got money and made it happen. OK is not necessarily EV crowded, but they made it happen, why did no other state get that done? Politics and inaction are likely high on the list. On a side note Francis is kind of like EA and although the chargers are there, most don't work - it is hit and miss, but they did get them installed and with more usage will keep them up better I'm sure.

Af far as the supply chain issues you note - why haven't they impacted Tesla and their Superchargers? Don't blame a supply chain in general for a poorly managed supply chain by a given manufacture. That is poor management not a supply chain issue. Same situation Ford is in with having to pull features from trucks.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On funding at the state level - I don't know which money was spent and used, but Oklahoma has had chargers now every 50 miles for a few years. Francis Energy got money and made it happen. OK is not necessarily EV crowded, but they made it happen, why did no other state get that done? Politics and inaction are likely high on the list. On a side note Francis is kind of like EA and although the chargers are there, most don't work - it is hit and miss, but they did get them installed and with more usage will keep them up better I'm sure.

Af far as the supply chain issues you note - why haven't they impacted Tesla and their Superchargers? Don't blame a supply chain in general for a poorly managed supply chain by a given manufacture. That is poor management not a supply chain issue. Same situation Ford is in with having to pull features from trucks.

I forgot to mention, Oklahoma, so thank you for that. I used a great 200kW Francis Energy charger in Norman a couple of weeks while on my Lightning road trip. Francis Energy was also awarded the state of New Mexico program a couple of years ago, but are delayed in completing the full roll out due to supply chain issues . There are a number of global companies all buying the same charging units from the same few manufacturers, so there are new unit and replacements part shortages. That is what was shared with my by my contact at the New Mexico Environment Department. I have been pushing for years to get a high speed CCS charger installed between Albuquerque and Las Cruces, and we finally got the State to put one in Socorro, but it is super delayed.

You want to remember that there is Tesla, and then there is everyone else. You have to give Tesla a ton of credit for better design, better technology, and for bringing a lot of the manufacturing required to create their ecosystem in house and under their control. This allows them to be more nimble, roll products out faster, and not have to depend too much on outside suppliers. Were they years behind in rolling out the Model 3 and now the Cyber truck, for sure? However it was all about getting everything in place so they could control the bulk of their supply chain and obtain what they need to efficiently mass produce vehicles.

The company I work for does a ton of business with Tesla, and they used to sit in my portfolio. I was lucky enough to get a number of behind the scene tours at the Fremont plant in 2016, 2017, and 2018. I respect the hell out of what Tesla has accomplished, and for the "engineer" and "motivator" Elon Musk used to be. I am the last person who will ever criticize what Tesla as an organization and an employee base has accomplished.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Wow, I live about 10 minutes away from this one. I’ll try and drive over to see how the cable situation works.
Nice! Please do! I’ve been meaning to go to a Tesla SC but I keep getting caught up doing other things.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Which means the Tesla app will need an update and you'll need to create/register an account and add a form of payment.

Edit - actually a Tesla app update hit just 2 days ago. Notes say the changes are for Solar and Powerwall.
Sponsored

Last edited: