• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro vs. Ford Mobile Charger

tenkil622

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I have used the FordMobileCharger, included with the truck, to charge my PRO successfully and without any issues... it works just fine on a basic NEMA 14-50 outlet, with a 50amp double-pole breaker. It is shown as a '32 amp' charger, but realistically runs at only about 30.5amps at max.

I wish the FordMobileCharger had more information on the face about charging speed, kwh, etc., rather than just a 'blue' faded light, but, oh well... my FordPassApp can generally tell me what I need.

I also have a MAX GREEN 240v Mobile EVSE, which I carry with me, along with some 240v extension cords, in the event of Camping, or other times where I might want to 'dial down' from 30amps to 10, 12, 16, 20, or 24 amps, in rare situations.

A NEMA 14-50 outlet is not difficult to find at most any hardware store, and not difficult to wire, but it DOES take larger 6awg 4-wire run, even though your EVSE might only be using 30~amps of that, and they are fairly stiff and harder to handle. Your breaker panel will need the 50amp double-pole 240v breaker, which is the same as many newer stoves and ovens use.

Some suggests that you can use a 40amp double-pole breaker, but those are hard to find, and would need to be labeled as "40amp Max".

And interestingly, since your EVSE only uses THREE wires: hot, hot, and ground, some may wire with only a 3-wire cable, labeled as "No Neutral", for future reference.

Some might also use a smaller 8awg SOOW cable, which is much easier to handle, much like the J1772's flexible cabling, but would need to also be labeled "40amp Max", as well.

Check with your local certified electrician for your best options.
I also use the Ford Mobile Charger exclusively to charge my 2022 SR Lariat. I plug it in at my house on a 110v circuit for an overnight charge and use my son's 240v dedicated outlet at his house for a quicker charge. I usually charge at 80% at both locations. To date, I have had absolutely no problems with any aspect of the charging protocol using the included FMC. At 73 I guess I'm still entitled to some "beginner's luck".
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
My 2¢...run the biggest wire you feel comfortable paying for, install the FCSP, and derate it as necessary.

The previous owner of my house had a 40 amp circuit run to my garage so I use my FCSP set at 32 amps. He later said he regretted not putting in a higher capacity circuit and I agree, but not enough to actually pay for a new circuit.😂

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I have the FCSP too but it's extremely costly to have installed compared to adding a 50 amp breaker and an outlet.
I went through Qmerit, $1100 out the door (includes city permit fee) to have my FCSP installed on a full 100A breaker. Keep in mind there's a 30% Federal rebate for EVSE installs. I like future proofing, 1 EV at the moment but I'm keen on getting the Mrs. into an EV and I plan on using the FCSP for both.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The attachment show what I've been getting with a 240v on a 50A. I'm sure my mobile charger has an error.

Screenshot_20230723_092503_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20230715_114811_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20230723_092431_FordPass.jpg
Wow, only 3KW charging speed? I've been told that the mobile charger should be pulling around 7KW for charging with 240V / 50 amp breaker.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Wow, only 3KW charging speed? I've been told that the mobile charger should be pulling around 7KW for charging with 240V / 50 amp breaker.
When operating properly, the Mobile Charger will send about 7.2 KW (gross) to the truck, netting 6 - 6.5 KW to the battery.

Sponsored

STXLariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tundra
I live in S Texas and charge exclusively with the mobile charger. We have a 14-50 installed at work where I park, so I gain more charging at the office everyday than I burn. Daily transit is about 30 miles round trip. A
It has been extremely hot here, and charger is on an outdoor exposed wall with a weather cover. Knock on wood there have not been any issues. Typically charging at 6kw.

Cfieldsj

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I used the FordPass app to get the charge rate of the chargers with these rate results:

Ford Mobile Charger (FMC)
@ 120vac - 1 kw (plugged into a 15 amp wall socket)
@ 240vac - 6 kw (plugged into NMEA 14-50 "RV" socket with 50 amp breaker)

Ford Charge Station Pro (FCSP)
@ 240vac - 16 kw (Hardwired into 100 amp breaker and set to highest amp rating in the FCSP)

Simple math now gives you how many hours it should take to get a full charge (in an ideal world).
Battery size in kwh / charge rate from above = hours charge time
(My ER battery is just over 130 kwh
SR battery is about 98 kwh)

Of course, this isn't an ideal world...
e.g., The heat in Texas causes my FCSP to power cycle quite a lot when it gets too hot which extends the charge time a bit.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I used the FordPass app to get the charge rate of the chargers with these rate results:

@ 240vac - 16 kw (Hardwired into 100 amp breaker and set to highest amp rating in the FCSP)

Simple math now gives you how many hours it should take to get a full charge (in an ideal world).

e.g., The heat in Texas causes my FCSP to power cycle quite a lot when it gets too hot which extends the charge time a bit.
thank you. I think I’m going to mount the FCSP up high on the wall near the ceiling at the front of the garage and then run the charging cable along the ceiling and drop it down next to the truck where the plug is to keep it from becoming a trip hazard. I’m not aware of any codes that prohibit that and don’t see anything in the installation manual that requires the main box to be mounted at a specific height.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
thank you. I think I’m going to mount the FCSP up high on the wall near the ceiling at the front of the garage and then run the charging cable along the ceiling and drop it down next to the truck where the plug is to keep it from becoming a trip hazard. I’m not aware of any codes that prohibit that and don’t see anything in the installation manual that requires the main box to be mounted at a specific height.
The installation manual specifies the top of the mount be 35 to 60 inches above the floor. I don't know why and I don't know what the code is. It's probably worth more investigation.

Cfieldsj

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I saw some recommendations for the FMC height but I think they were aiming to keep it off the floor. No height requirements that I know of for the FCSP. Sounds like your plan is solid. I think a key thing is to keep the cord uncoiled so that any heat generated by it (due to the current passing through it) is dissipated evenly while charging. I.e., no loops on top of each other which could cause a hot spot in the cable. It will be interesting this winter to see if I get any heat in the garage because I'm charging my Lightning. :)

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Keep in mind the Ford app TRUNCATES the decimal place. If you want a more accurate number, check the Energy Added field.

Example - charge rate shows 6. Energy added at 1 hour is 6.5. Therefore, charge rate is 6.5.

So instead of 131/6 = 21.83 hours, you get 131/6.5 20.15 hours, or 1 hour and 41 minutes faster.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
I currently am using the Mobile charger with the Level 2 adapter on a 50 amp breaker, with 6 gauge wire. I usually get between 5 and 6.5 kW/hr charge rate. This translates into about 11.5 to 15 miles added per hour. Not sure why the KW rate varies.

I installed it myself. Used a Leviton NEMA 14/50 plug that cost like $15 at Home Depot. Have since read that plug is not rated for continuous use, and the one that is rated for continuous use is like $93 on amazon (was $88 like 3 months ago when I originally sourced it...got to love inflation). Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0137HMGG...D6KCOEUE&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_gv_ov_lig_pi_dp

Living in Georgia, and my charger being in the garage on the south side of the house, I have run into charging speeds being reduced due to the Mobile charger overheating while in use this summer. Garage maintains temps of 90+ past midnight, in the 80's in the morning. This reduces my charging speed down to around 4kW/hr on average. The charger get too hot, pulses both blue and orange, then reduces speeds. When it cools down, it quits pulsing orange, and speed increases. Plug has never been "hot" to the touch, just warm. Still, don't want to burn down the house while family and dogs are sleeping so decided to spring for the FCSP install, instead of just upgrading the NEMA plug myself. Paying for the electrician to perform the upgrade so I don't feel as guilty if the house burns down anyway.

I'm paying the electrician $1200 to install the FCSP. That was the low quote from a buddy that works for a local reputable electrician. Other quotes for the install were $2100 and $1750. This includes about a 35' run of 3 gauge copper wire from the unfinished basement, changing the circuit to 100 amp breaker, some rearranging things in the breaker box, and hardwiring the charger. This is supposed to take place tomorrow morning, so I'll report back on charging speeds once it is complete. Think I read somewhere you can get up to 44 miles per hours when its turned all the way up, but to expect closer to 36-40 with losses. Still, 2.5X faster than the Mobile, and the Mobile will reside in my truck where I might be able to make use of it in a pinch.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Our MME mobile charger fried after 44K miles. I switched to a ChargePoint Homeflex wired with 8 AWG (copper!) on a 40 amp breaker.

Eventually I’ll put in 60 Amp breaker and a long new run of 6 AWG copper to relocate the charger center of garage so I can charge either the MME or LT inside or outside (through a small port door). And take advantage of the HomeFlex direct wired higher capacity of 50 amps/240V.

The mobile charger will definitely trip a 30 amp breaker 😬.
Sponsored