• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Lightning from DuroMax 10kw Generator Failed

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Has anyone been able to charge their Lightning from a generator. I was trying to hook up my mobile charge station up to a 10kw DuroMax generator to see if I can charge my truck instead of driving 30mins to a DCFC and leaving the house without power.

I tried both with and without the ProPower Onboard turned on, so I know it wasn’t that, but every time I hooked up the charger it just had an amber light and the truck said it couldn’t identify charger.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone been able to charge their Lightning from a generator. I was trying to hook up my mobile charge station up to a 10kw DuroMax generator to see if I can charge my truck instead of driving 30mins to a DCFC and leaving the house without power.

I tried both with and without the ProPower Onboard turned on, so I know it wasn’t that, but every time I hooked up the charger it just had an amber light and the truck said it couldn’t identify charger.
I have the same generator [12 kw] but have not tried doing this.

BTW, did you try both the 240 & 120 volt adapters??

Last edited:
OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same generator but have not tried doing this.

BTW, did you try both the 240 & 120 volt adapters??
Yes and neither worked, but I was able to use other things plugged into the outlets.

My guess is either the power is just too dirty or the ground caused it problems.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes and neither worked, but I was able to use other things plugged into the outlets.

My guess is either the power is just too dirty or the ground caused it problems.
Very well could be the ground.

On side note couple years ago when I used my Duromax to power the house, the generator frequency was off by a few hertz preventing my APC UPS from switching from backup mode to grid mode, once I got it right at 60hz the switch over occured.

Don't know if this could be an issue with the FMC functionality.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
If the duramax has a floating neutral then any respectable EVSE will throw a ground fault and you won't be able to charge. Some of the cheapo Chinese white label EVSEs are more lenient with safety and would possibly work in that situation.

The EVSE wants to see a voltage across the hot and ground before it starts charging. The ground and neutral are bonded in your home so there's no problem using the EVSE when plugged into the wall. Most generators don't have a bonded neutral and ground so the EVSE will throw an error.

You need to buy a or make bonding plug like this to bond the ground and neutral. As always, hacks like this are done at your own risk (especially when recommended by a random internet person).

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If the duramax has a floating neutral then any respectable EVSE will throw a ground fault and you won't be able to charge. Some of the cheapo Chinese white label EVSEs are more lenient with safety and would possibly work in that situation.

The EVSE wants to see a voltage across the hot and ground before it starts charging. The ground and neutral are bonded in your home so there's no problem using the EVSE when plugged into the wall. Most generators don't have a bonded neutral and ground so the EVSE will throw an error.

You need to buy a or make bonding plug like this to bond the ground and neutral. As always, hacks like this are done at your own risk (especially when recommended by a random internet person).
While that’s 100% correct, I don’t think that’s whats going on here. When the Ford Mobile Charger detects a ground problem, it shows a red light, not amber.

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I may try making a bonding plug just to see if that’s the issue later today after I head to an EA FC this afternoon to get back up to 90%.

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tried the bonding plug and it did work for a few minutes then turned amber. I’m thinking the output is just too dirty/low voltage to run it.
I’ll look at the generator specs and see if I can adjust it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tried the bonding plug and it did work for a few minutes then turned amber. I’m thinking the output is just too dirty/low voltage to run it.
The voltage shouldn’t be a problem - you can feed the 240V plug with 120 and it will charge. I’m going with “dirty.”

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Try turning off the automatic idle control switch to off if your generator has one.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging Lightning from DuroMax 10kw Generator Failed 1678055787014

Sponsored

Battalion3419

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Occupation
Firefighter
I also vote "Dirty".
I tried to charge off a Fire Camp generator 25KV (Mosquito Fire) as a test this last summer. As a Logistics Section Chief, it will be my task to charge vehicles as they come into an Incident Base. It did not go well. It charged the truck alright but would not except a DC fast charge when I went to return to home. Let me tell you that was a long, long trip back to San Luis Obispo via level 2 chargers.

The truck finally cleared itself just in time for the dealer to looked at it in SLO.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also vote "Dirty".
I tried to charge off a Fire Camp generator 25KV (Mosquito Fire) as a test this last summer. As a Logistics Section Chief, it will be my task to charge vehicles as they come into an Incident Base. It did not go well. It charged the truck alright but would not except a DC fast charge when I went to return to home. Let me tell you that was a long, long trip back to San Luis Obispo via level 2 chargers.

The truck finally cleared itself just in time for the dealer to looked at it in SLO.
The modules in the truck that control L2 and DCFC are totally different. I doubt the DCFC problem was caused by using the generator.

Battalion3419

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Occupation
Firefighter
Well now, that may be as such, but as 35-year wildland firefighter I am trained not to believe in coincidence...

So, I will leave it to the contractors we hire to figure it out because I'm just a knuckle dragging, dirt face grunt with a shovel in his hand...

God, how I love this rain!

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Did you guys ever get the generator to charge the truck?
Sponsored