• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging to 90% as mentioned in Manual or 80% like others?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I suppose you could charge to 100%, do a GOM reset, but who knows if Ford has any residual cruft in there?
Guess this is as good as it gets absent OBD glimpses inside the truck.

I’ve just reset mine for “why nots,” as my truck’s GoM has never registered (incl’d when purchased with <50mi) over 285 miles on 100% charge. This with 1000mi of 1/2 around-town regen driving, and 1/2 road trip with ~2.3kWh average.

My Trip 1 is my cumulative ownership, showing an avg 2.1kWh and with 14% to Climate Use, 12% to accessories, and 8% to “Exterior Temperature” for a total of only 66% to “Driving.”

That mix I suppose explains the <285mi GoM range max, but admit it’s a bit disappointing as I don’t feel I do more “Climate use” or “accessories” than should be accounted for in the EPA tests on range.
Sponsored

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
I've decided to go with what Ford said for daily driving so I changed my charging to 90%.
Clearly i missed the memo... where you getting 90% from?

All i could find is 80% max on DC fast chargers. From what i read, battery management system is sophisticated enough to prevent damage.

OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Clearly i missed the memo... where you getting 90% from?

All i could find is 80% max on DC fast chargers. From what i read, battery management system is sophisticated enough to prevent damage.
Ford FAQ says 90% for daily driving

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging to 90% as mentioned in Manual or 80% like others? Capture.PNG

50%-90% is the target IMO based on everything I read

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Just curious if these modern batteries cycle the individual cells that are being utilized day to day if the battery is only being used 10-20%? Do some of the battery cells literally stay “fully charged” all the time if this was your typical use of an EV or does the BMS “rotate“ cells in and out of use to ensure even wear on all cells?
All cells charge equally and are maintained at the same level by the vehicle's BMS

OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Just wanted to follow up after a month of charging/use.

I'm sure other users have noticed that UNDER 40% the truck does start asking for power saving feature like turning off the outlets.

This prompted me to adjust my charging target!

40%-90% Is what I am doing now. Small adjustment but this seems to work well and I can charge from 9PM-5AM and get the 50% charge I need in that time. Kind perfect timing!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Just wanted to follow up after a month of charging/use.

I'm sure other users have noticed that UNDER 40% the truck does start asking for power saving feature like turning off the outlets.

This prompted me to adjust my charging target!

40%-90% Is what I am doing now. Small adjustment but this seems to work well and I can charge from 9PM-5AM and get the 50% charge I need in that time. Kind perfect timing!
What rate are you charging at that it takes 8 hours to get 50% charge?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
He didn't say it took 8 hours, he said that time period is enough.

131 / 2 / 8 = 8.19. Assumig 10% loss, 9.1. That would be a 40amp setting most likely.

OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
I have a 220V 50A outlet. Yea, it doesn't take 8 hours, I think it takes about 6 hours to get the 50% I need. I was just quoting my charging window :)
Sponsored