• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging to 90% as mentioned in Manual or 80% like others?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Whether something makes it to the market is certainly disputable but nothing in dream labs?

I am not in battery business but just googling stuff blows your mind on level of R&D going into this.

Claims 3X energy density increase, faster charging and longer life span.
3,250 mAh/g
https://onedsinanode.com/sinanode/

Battery business is too difficult and complex for car companies to get into but they provide the demand to push universities to do the research and industry to make it happen. Power density is not the only thing that matters. If they can dissipate heat faster they can be used in cars and charging stations to significantly reduce charge time.

These guys say they can charge 70X faster so you don't need more range:
https://graphenemg.com/energy-storage-solutions/aluminum-ion-battery/

But if you do want more, getting twice the range is matter of combining different technologies. Mercedes EQXX does 700 miles on one 80 KWh battery charge.

Progress often happen gradually. We may not see 2X or 3X increase in one shot but over time, it may add up to that and more.

These guys are saying 50% more dense and 5 times more capacity:
https://group14.technology/en/

on a more modest power density (20% - 40% improvement):
https://www.silanano.com/lithium-ion-battery-materials
Mercedes EQG is already planning to use it in 2025.

Skeleton's 4X to 10X power dense super-capacitors (Graphene) can complement existing battery tech.

I listed these as dream lab examples not mass market ready to go. My point is too many of them are throwing dart at the board, some of them has to hit the bullseye. Even if non of them do, it is fun to watch them try.
All of which Elon Musk says are fantasy, flawed, not usable in today’s build. I agree that we need dreamers, but that stuff has been going on since our grandparents were kids (see any old Popular Mechanics), and maybe one will emerge as a winner, but we a talking about mass market vehicle reduction. If the tech doesn’t exist today, you wont be driving it in the next ten years. The Tesla of ten years ago had no new tech, just assembled what was then 15-year-old tech, and their current cars are micro-evolutionary compared to ten years ago - and Tesla is arguably the game-changer - the most advanced in terms of having changed t R&D rules and forced the entire auto industry to change course. Yet the 18650 cell plus one step is still core to their cars and will remain so for the foreseeable future. They just made a commitment for billions more in 18650 cells.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Elon has approached this pretty ruthlessly in the past - "please send a sufficient number of working cells for evaluation". That usually weeds out the science experiments and forces the lab folks to think about at least reasonable minimum production. They typically haven't thought about that, much less mass production on a very large scale. The news folks are just handed a press release from some excited researchers and don't know how to weed them out, so they pretty much read the PR straight into the record.
From his point of view it makes sense. He does not want to waste resources on impractical ideas and now that TESLA is a big deal, he does not have to. However I wonder if any of the good ideas get lost because the dude in the white lab coat just does not have manufacturing know how and muscle of Panasonic or CATL to iron out the final wrinkles and make the prototype work. It may be a chicken and egg problem. The idea guy has to be a good sales man too.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
that stuff has been going on since our grandparents were kids (see any old Popular Mechanics)
I just realized I was never able to drive a lightning before I ordered. Probably won't before I get mine.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging to 90% as mentioned in Manual or 80% like others? 1661535114711

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I had a Tesla for 7 years. I was ignorant about all these things. I charged up to 100% often. I stopped by Superchargers often. Here were my results:

Range when new: 256 miles
Range after 7 years: 218 miles
Avg Range of my Model after 7yrs: 230

My penalty for years of not caring: 12 miles
^^^
Love it!

An EV is meant to just drive and charge.

If it takes a few hours or overnight to charge fully, I don't think about stopping a charge midstream.

I just let it charge to whatever - more commonly 100% on my L2 charger at home or work and I don't worry about it.

To me, there are other matters more important that involve your time so this thread has shown that everyone is entitled to their own way of thinking.

No one is right and no is wrong...

OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
I had a Tesla for 7 years. I was ignorant about all these things. I charged up to 100% often. I stopped by Superchargers often. Here were my results:

Range when new: 256 miles
Range after 7 years: 218 miles
Avg Range of my Model after 7yrs: 230

My penalty for years of not caring: 12 miles
4%

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
I've decided to go with what Ford said for daily driving so I changed my charging to 90%.

90% will last me at least a week worst case.

Charge once a week overnight during good temps. Easy Peasy.👍

My electrician will be here Sunday to install my 240V outlet close to the edge of the garage.

No way I'm using the 120V :ROFLMAO:

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
No way I'm using the 120V :ROFLMAO:

I used 120 till my electrician could fit me in and had no issues. I would get home after work to 75-76% and then plug it in immediately. It was 85%(the limit I set to) by like 4am and I goto work at 8.

240 is absolutely worth it but people do underrate 120 especially if your commute is fairly short.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I used 120 till my electrician could fit me in and had no issues. I would get home after work to 75-76% and then plug it in immediately. It was 85%(the limit I set to) by like 4am and I goto work at 8.

240 is absolutely worth it but people do underrate 120 especially if your commute is fairly short.
It is useful in a pinch, but can be very challenging to use, especially in the cold or if you have a longer commute. We had to use it when our EVSE died for our Mach-e. It was just a couple weeks until we got the warranty replacement, but we couldn't cover our daily use, so every 3 days we had to go to the mall and let it sit for 4 to 5 hours on a L2 EVSE. The cold really cuts down th charging speed as almost all of the energy goes into keeping the battery warm.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
It is useful in a pinch, but can be very challenging to use, especially in the cold or if you have a longer commute. We had to use it when our EVSE died for our Mach-e. It was just a couple weeks until we got the warranty replacement, but we couldn't cover our daily use, so every 3 days we had to go to the mall and let it sit for 4 to 5 hours on a L2 EVSE. The cold really cuts down th charging speed as almost all of the energy goes into keeping the battery warm.
Ah didn’t even think of that, it does get real cold up where we are. Can’t wait to see the range hit on my SR considering it has no heat pump.

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
Just curious if these modern batteries cycle the individual cells that are being utilized day to day if the battery is only being used 10-20%? Do some of the battery cells literally stay “fully charged” all the time if this was your typical use of an EV or does the BMS “rotate“ cells in and out of use to ensure even wear on all cells?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Electrician came out today and installed my 60 50 amp 220v outlet/receptacle . Its perfect!

My truck is at 49% and I have the charger set to start at 9PM (Off Peak & Cool Temps)

App says it will hit my 90% charge @ about 3AM.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Electrician came out today and installed my 60 amp 220v outlet. Its perfect!

My truck is at 49% and I have the charger set to start at 9PM (Off Peak & Cool Temps)

App says it will hit my 90% charge @ about 3AM.
If by “outlet” you mean receptacle, 50A is the maximum allowed by code for an EVSE.

OP
OP
TheRealDlo

TheRealDlo

First Name
Dlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
If by “outlet” you mean receptacle, 50A is the maximum allowed by code for an EVSE.
Whatever it is I got about 15.5 Miles per hour of chare last night!

MUCH better then the 110. Very happy with the speed of charge

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
It charged to 285ish when we got it, it now charges to 260ish.
in a lightning, how would one check/know their battery degradation? The GoM?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
in a lightning, how would one check/know their battery degradation? The GoM?
There is an OBD value called "HV Battery SoH" which is the "state of health" of the battery pack. I don't know if it's linear, how to translate that, etc., but at least it's a way you could compare vs. others.

I suppose you could charge to 100%, do a GOM reset, but who knows if Ford has any residual cruft in there?
Sponsored