• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chevy Bolts Suck

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Think about if it were the other way around. Say EV Truck charging stalls all of a sudden had an influx of Tesla owners hogging the stalls. I would bet that the Truck owners would react much harsher.

My personal opinion from being a member of multiple car and truck forums, on an average, Truck owners are not as "tolerant" as Tesla drivers. I will say that EV Truck owners seem more refined than the Diesel Truck owners. I am an owner of all three vehicles, Tesla, Lightning and F-450 Dually so I frequent all forums and I see all sides.
Not going to argue any of that.
It is my opinion that Lightning drivers are more tolerant than mme drivers, just from reading the forums.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Interesting, oh yea. Everybody is looking forward to being able to charge at Tesla. It will be nasty for a long while.
Just think what will happen when those entitled, uppity Suzie que better than you Tesla drivers see a damn pickup in THEIR charger.
They are out there just like they are here.
The threads will follow as soon as the charging starts.
If a Tesla driver doesn't like you taking up 2 spaces, just take up 3...

Their god, Elon, has a year to put in longer hoses or make other changes. If they batch, tell them to send him a tweet...

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
After a year and a half and 12k miles, I had my first ever wait to fast charge.

Six EA stalls, all taken up. App had showed only one in use, and that was correct. One other had completed charging, two EVs parked there (with no occupants) weren’t plugged in, and two weren’t electric vehicles.

A Bolt owner charging their car wherever they can isn’t going to bother me. We all have to charge when we have to charge. But these f*cks unplugging their vehicles and walking away - or worse, non-EV owners parking where it plainly states in multiple locations “for ev charging only”… those people can trip over a damn curb.

Thankfully, the one occupied and charging vehicle was just finishing so I didn’t have to wait to plug in.

The other five same cars were still there when I returned right as I hit 80% so I could move the truck out of the 350kW spot and make way for a (very thankful) Bolt owner.

Ultimately the solution isn’t trying to teach etiquette with passive-aggressive notes tucked under wipers, nor is it ”having a conversation”. With a prediction of 1.3-1.4 million new EVs on the road this year alone, the solution is a vast increase in sites - and a substantial increase in stalls at new and existing locations. Last night I was at a location with over ten thousand parking spots last night. Six charging stalls in a location like that is nothing more than weaponized dumbassery at this point.

/rant

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Lots of brand judgment in this thread, which is pretty disappointing. I've had two Teslas in the past and never felt anything but respect for other EV drivers, and I tried hard to act like it. Seems like not everyone in this thread feels the same way.

Chevy Bolts are great for what they are, and some of their drivers suck. I'd argue most of them do it out of ignorance, just like Lightning owners.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Interesting, oh yea. Everybody is looking forward to being able to charge at Tesla. It will be nasty for a long while.
Just think what will happen when those entitled, uppity Suzie que better than you Tesla drivers see a damn pickup in THEIR charger.
They are out there just like they are here.
The threads will follow as soon as the charging starts.
Probably depends where you are but around here the Superchargers are always empty or close to empty. Even opening them up to all EVs isn't going to be a charger traffic issue. Maybe in CA or NY there might be a problem but most places likely won't see much of a problem. There's still way, way more Teslas than all other EVs (about 2/3rds of all registered EVs are Tesla). If SCs don't get busy with Teslas then they aren't going to be much busier with Fords and GMs, too. It probably won't even be noticeable until all of the other manufacturers have access.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Ultimately the solution isn’t trying to teach etiquette with passive-aggressive notes tucked under wipers, nor is it ”having a conversation”. With a prediction of 1.3-1.4 million new EVs on the road this year alone, the solution is a vast increase in sites.
No, the solution is financial pain. Make charging more expensive above 80%, then MUCH more expensive over 90% and extremely exorbitant idle fees. Like $10/minute. This problem will be solved in months.

Also, license plate identification and automatic ticketing for cars parked in front of chargers while unplugged (whether ICE or EV).

Obviously we need more stalls (Tesla already solved that problem, though) but anyone who has used fast chargers with any frequency knows that 50%-100% of cars sitting at DCFCs at any given time don't need to be there (i.e. over 80% charged).

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Charger congestion won't be a problem at most of them. The overwhelming majority of Supercharger locations rarely fill up, if ever. Tesla has sold far more EVs in the US than everyone else combined, so I don't think we will have a problem.

Tesla installed more DC fast chargers over the last year than everyone else combined. Charging will get better soon, and it'll be easier if everyone acts with grace and patience rather than condemnation.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
You have to be careful of which side you are on of this equation. The E-GMP platform cars (Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, etc) charge much faster and are far more efficient than the Lightning. My EV6 charges from 20%-80% in 17 minutes allegedly, and from experience I know that is not far off in decent weather. The equivalent ER Lightning charges from 15%-80% in 41 minutes. (I wish the figures were standardized).

So if you are frustrated waiting for a Bolt so you can sit on a charger for 41 minutes, imagine how the EV6 behind you feels when they need at most 20 minutes, and probably not that much since with a fast charging, efficient car you really don’t need to get to 80% to make it to the next reasonable break time (at my age anyway.)

I love my SR Lariat anyway, but will probably continue to use the EV6 for road trips although the other half of my equation is hinting that maybe we take the more comfortable car and just sit at chargers if we have to.

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I like the idea of rate charging, which by minute seems like a good approach. I was happy to see kia and hyundai at chargers as I knew they would be fast, the bolts are just ridiculously slow.

Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
No, the solution is financial pain. Make charging more expensive above 80%, then MUCH more expensive over 90% and extremely exorbitant idle fees. Like $10/minute. This problem will be solved in months.

Also, license plate identification and automatic ticketing for cars parked in front of chargers while unplugged (whether ICE or EV).
I wouldn’t disagree on ticketing for just using charging spaces as regular parking spots, but the first point there is a bad take.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I wouldn’t disagree on ticketing for just using charging spaces as regular parking spots, but the first point there is a bad take.
what’s bad about it? There needs to be financial incentive to teach people fast charging etiquette.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just completed a trip of around 2,700 miles with Mach-E. It's not Chevy Bolt owners, although they are mostly clueless, and often use the 350kW charger out of ignorance. A lot of the vehicles that come with free charging have owners using the fast chargers to save money, even if the vehicle is over $100,000. Couldn't believe some of the people I ran into on this recent trip. One guy almost backed into my car, trying to get close enough to a charger that I was using, thinking he could use the other hose. And then he charged to 100%, as did the guy next to him.

That said, there was a Chevy Bolt PARKED, no longer charging (it read 4.5 hours), with no one around last night at my last charging stop. I left him a dirty note AND unplugged him so the charger would show as available (someone could make the hose reach if they parked up sideways to him). It was a fleet license plate.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
This is just one thread on this forum that represents an amazingly wide spectrum of Lightning owners.

I don't know if there's currently another EV on the market with a more diverse ownership profile.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
what’s bad about it? There needs to be financial incentive to teach people fast charging etiquette.
Because until we have a robust charging infrastructure sometimes we need to charge to 100%.

Sorry that my travel plans and needs impact you but it is not your charger and I was there first. 🤬

Now if all DCFC stations had a handful of 40 amp a/c stations I would support your cut their balls off at 90% approach.

As I said before here people need to chill and rely on the golden rule. I don’t understand while so many on here feel privileged and entitled. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored